Mutiple users and permission issues...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JamesHunterRoss, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesHunterRoss

JamesHunterRoss Registered Member

Thsi may be an FAQ entry, if so, I appologize. This is day one with NOD32 on my XPsp2 box. (After removing NAV 2005, which had become flakey and dropping port 25/110 after logout/fast-user switching.) All is well, but the first scan yeilds tons of permission denied, basically for all other users (wife/kids) Documents and Settings areas. I'm in the administrators group, but I cannot just browse to, say, C:\Documents and Settings\Wife so it makes sense that NOD32 might not be able to go scan in that hierarchy. But, NAV didn't seem to have any trouble, nor does my backup software, or AdAware. So heres the questions:

Did NAV run as a service with elevated rights? How about AdAware? Id NOD32 lacking in this area? How do you folks deal with this; safe mode? Etc...

I'm trying to decide whether to buy NOD32, or try another, or (ugh) put NAV 2005 back and pray and put up with a bogged-down machine.

If there is a good FAQ about all this, a link would be great. Thanks for reading this and for any time you might spend responding. I really do appreciate your help.

James

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi James, welcome to Wilders.

I would suggest a run through the NOD32 Tutorial located HERE it will answer your questions.

Cheers :D

3. JamesHunterRoss

Thanks for the reply. I took some time to go through the tutorial pages; very nice. I haven't done all the settings though, and am still using my 30 day trial.

However, my questions remain unanswered. (I hope I didn't miss something there.) Many programs don't seem to have trouble scanning other users' "Documents and Settings" areas, but NOD32 complains about all of my wife/kids files. AdAware does not complain, no did NAV.

How can I scan their areas too? Log in as them and run the scan? (That would be bad.) I (user James) am an admininstrator. Any words will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, James

P.S. So far so good; speedy happy computer, snappy email scanning.

4. Blackspear

These are nothing more than Locked System Swap Files Answer and Answer and Answer nothing to be concerned about at all. Other antivirus programs hide these files, NOD32 chooses not to. I would rather see them than have them hidden in a scan.

5. patch

patch Registered Member

Is it just a few system files or all their files / directories?
    Apparently they don't complain when they can't scan a file or directory which leaves you just as exposed but less informed
    I have found starting in safe mode (as an administrator) decreases the number of files which can't be scanned.
    Also windows seams to allow administrators more access to users files than other administrators. Do your other users also have administrator privileges?

6. JamesHunterRoss

No more trouble...

You know, I have to take it all back! The very FIRST scan I did, which was manual, failed to get down under those "My Documents" hierarchies for other (non me) users.

But, another scan started automatically later, after I created a schedule and rebooted, (I didn't expected any scanning sadly, anddidn't welcome the grinding at that time) and it got just about everything, leaving out only locked and password protected files as expected. So NOD32 is getting everywhere it needs to get.

Who knows why the first system scan behaved that way; I gues I don't really care. I'll keep an eye on things since I like toform a mental picture of how it all fits together.

Thanks for your words and your enthusiasm for the product. My computer seems so much snappier now that NAV is gone.

James

7. Blackspear

You are welcome.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scheduled scans are run in the local system account, hence they may have access to folders that are otherwise inaccessible to the currently logged in user.

9. JamesHunterRoss

Scheduled scans running as LocalSystem, that's the deal! So for my purposes, scheduling a type of scan and the choosing "Run Now" is the way to go, rather than just doing a straight On Demand scan.

That was not at all clear at first. (I wonder why the On Demand doesn't spawn off a thread as th LocalSystem account.) Anyway, that is definetly the issue. Thanks for adding that last tidbit Marcos!

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.