"Must Remove Old Hard Drive" ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yeshis, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yeshis

yeshis Registered Member

I was ready to clone using True Image "Automatic" mode in the wizard which notes that "you have to remove old hard disk when data moving is completed"
    Does this mean that I MUST REMOVE THE OLD HARD DISK or what?

Does something happen to the old drive which makes is unbootable?

Why would the wizard even mention this?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You don't have to remove it physically.... just disconnect it. Nothing should change on the original, but you cannot have two supposedly identical drives connected in the system at the same time.

You might want to look into Imaging instead of Cloning.

3. yeshis

yeshis Registered Member

thanks for the quick reply.

I do want to uprade my notebook hard drive using the true image (clone?), but after the transfer, I still want the option of using the original hard drive before I actually insert the new hard drive into the computer.

The upgrade drive is connected by usb external case, but once the transfer is complete, I will disconnect it. My old disk should still boot shouldn't it?

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Ah ... so it is a Notebook. Sure the original will boot. During the Clone process just read the dialog windows carefully as I think there is one where you can actually erase the original if you make the wrong choice. The choice you want is of course to leave the original as is.

And since the cloned drive is in an external enclosure, there may be no need to disconnect it, but try it both ways and let us know what happens.

One caveat: be sure to try the new cloned drive IN the notebook to make sure it works. Do not rely on the "Cloned process was successful" message at the end of the process.

5. yeshis

yeshis Registered Member

thanks for your assurance, as we are talking about possible wiping out (or losing drive letters) on hard drives. shudder!

6. yeshis

yeshis Registered Member

I may be making this more difficult than I should but,I have advanced in the True Image Cloning dialogue to the window where I see the yellow bars indicating the source drive c: will clone to the destination drive c: I must say, that I don't like the looks of it. I hate to do this to just 'see what happens"

7. yeshis

yeshis Registered Member

I decided to opt out of the clone until I can get some better understanding from this forum or Acronis.

I went throught the entire dialogue for True Image cloning and True Image popped up the dialogue " You must reboot before this operation can be completed." I cancelled out because I do not know why I have to reboot.

Does it have to do with True Image had to delete all partitions that were on the new hard drive? Is that the only reason?

Any suggestions?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello yeshis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that this reboot is required to make some changes to the destination hard drive signature which cannot be changed within an operating system running.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.