Must optical discs be finalized?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dmtoddma, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmtoddma

dmtoddma Registered Member

I'm copying backups to DVD+R. Must the disks be finalized in order to restore them via an ATI Rescue Boot Disk?

Thanks.

David Todd

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello David,

What CD/DVD burning software do you use? I use Nero Burning ROM v6.0 and always ensure that, when burning DVD-ROM (ISO) or DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations, Nero's Multisession Tab is set to "No Multisession". By so doing, it automatically selects "Finalize DVD (No further writing possible)" on the Burn Tab. In any case I very much doubt that additional image compilations created on a multisession (non finalized) disk would be visible to ATI in boot rescue mode.

Also, I prefer to write my image compilations to DVD+/-RW, with a Nero "Quick Erase" between each new compilation. Works out cheaper in the long run!!

Hope this helps.

Regards

3. dmtoddma

dmtoddma Registered Member

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'm using Roxio Creator 6. If the files to be burned to a CD total 4GB or greater, Roxio forces the disk to be finalized. However, if I have substantially less than 4gb to burn to a disk, I'd like to be able to leave the disk open and burn incremental images to that disk until it is nearly full. At that point I would finalize the disk. However, I wasn't sure if a multisession disk, especially one that was still open, would be usable when booting from a rescue disk.

I am new to DVD. I had always heard that CD/RW was less stable than CD/R and I assumed the same might be true for DVD. Is that not so?

Thanks again.

David

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

May be some truth in it when used with UDF packet writing software such as InCD or Roxio DirectCD/Drag-to-Disk. However, I've never experienced any difference between CD/DVD R or RW using ordinary (non Packet writing) burning software.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.