Must have firefox add-ons

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by NotRight, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotRight

NotRight Registered Member

Straight-forward, what are the must have add-ons for Firefox? So many different suggestions which ones to use.

I have heard things that Ghostery sells your information. Is AdBlockPlus trustworthy and reliable?

Currently I am using AdblockPlus with Discconnect. The only problem I am having is that when I go to yahoonews it can still detect what city I am from with news from my local city at the bottom. I am curious as to how they can tell where I am coming from as I thought I was blocking that.

Anyways, what are the must have firefox addons?!

Regards,
    me

2. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Yahoo News will know where you are by the location of your IP address.

3. NotRight

makes sense. still seeking the best, must have add-ons :D

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

AdblockPlus and RequestPolicy are my must have extensions. Although it is recommended in every one of these type of threads, I see no need for NoScript. You can block third party scripting with AdblockPlus and RequestPolicy handles any unwanted cross-site stuff.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

6. NotRight

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I think Firefox privacy/security add-ons have been covered quite extensively on Wilders, but below are a few other types of add-ons I myself like a lot.

MouseZoom: Right-click and scroll with mouse wheel to zoom text on page.

Quick Dictionary Lookup: Shift + Right Mouse Button to see the dictionary definition for a selected word in a pop-up window. I always use it when I'm reading something on the web and encounter a word I don't know.

Save Session: Saves your tabs and closes Firefox so that next time you open it, it opens to those tabs instead of your usual start page. I use it all the time when I've opened a bunch of tabs to go through and something comes up so that I have go and leave the browsing for later.

Fast Translation: Select text and choose translate from mouse menu for insta-translation. Useful if you visit foreign language websites sometimes.

Flagfox: Shows a flag in the address bar to indicate in which country the website you are on is located. Not really needed, but I like to know.

KeeFox: Must have add-on for Keepass users. It auto-fills username and password fields for websites you visit if Keefox is running. Of course you don't have to click the login button if you don't want to sign-in. (I know Firefox can also auto-fill password fields, but I don't trust Firefox to remember my passwords).

8. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

For me. It's HTTPS-Everywhere, DoNotTrackMe, Greasemonkey, Disconnect, Click&Clean and Flagfox. Also Keefox if you use KeePass.

I mostly use Comodo Dragon now but have these for when I use FF.

9. NotRight

I've decided to use only Noscript, and Adblockplus. Hopefully that is all I need. :D

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

11. NotRight

I did see that post, but it is from 2006 :\ I thought it would be appropriate to get a discussion considering how much time has past. I would be surprised if those users who posted are using that same set-up.

Regards,
    me

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi, I use NoScript and Adblock plus. A few minutes ago I opened Yahoo news at...

http://news.yahoo.com/

...If Scripts are not allowed, I do not see anything about Local news. If I Temporarily allow scripts, under "Local news", it says "We couldn't find your location." I am not seeing any news from where I am at (Central America).

Bo

13. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

This seems to be a growing trend for major sites like yahoo, facebook, etc. You block a script or an ad and the whole site breaks.

14. Justintime123

Justintime123 Registered Member

15. PastTense

PastTense Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.