Mundus cleans up $HOME

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

On the German heise site I read an article about Mundus - a tool that cleans up your $HOME from configuration files of uninstalled packages.

It's available for download for several distros, and there is a PPA for Ubuntu. I've tried it, and it looks useful.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This means you lose your app profile if you reinstall in the future, no?
    Mrk

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

An "registry cleaner" for Linux (just a very close analogy, overzealous fanboys)! rofl

4. tlu

tlu Guest

@Mrk: Yes, only useful if you test a package which you won't install again in the future.

@Wild Hunter: No, it doesn't have anything to do with a registry cleaner. It's user data which isn't deleted by the package managers when removing packages. It would be theoretically possible to implement that feature but it's not done intentionally for various reasons. One is which Mrk mentioned. Another is that if an admin uninstalls a program on a multi-user system, not all users want the corresponding data to be deleted. And another one is: Which data exactly should be deleted? I sincerely doubt that you want to have all your .doc, .odt, etc. - files deleted just because you decided to remove libreoffice from your system.

So you might continue to ROFL but I wonder why.

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Registry cleaners try to the same with user data of removed Windows apps left on the registry. I made an analogy and I clearly stated it was an analogy. Your "correction" makes me laugh a bit more.

6. Methinks it is like registry cleaning, insofar as it is best done by hand or not at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.