Multiple virus scanning needed, says multiple scanning firm...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Prince_Serendip, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Multiple virus scanning needed, says multiple scanning firm...

More...http://online.securityfocus.com/news/559

IMO, running two AV's might cause conflicts and false positives. :rolleyes:

2. root

root Registered Member

Yes, really. That is not the smartest conclusion to be drawn from the study. The white paper can be found here
    I did not find F-Secure to be heads and shoulders above the competition and it employs 3 engines.
    Doctor Web, KAV, and Esset are noticibly missing from the test. Guess it would make Norton and McAfee look too bad.
    I thought GFI had better stuff in em.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

A matter of GFI.COM marketing - no more, no less. That's their perogative no doubt. Just ask some test organizations to test products x,y and z - and they will do so. Andreas Marx is IMHO quite trustworthy - thus no blame on the testers.

I for one would look upon this in the right perspective - pure marketing.

regards.

paul

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi Paul!
    That's why I put this up. This is the same stuff we discussed last month. They are still trying to make it look legit! As you say, it is all about $$$!

Does DCS have an AV yet? I bet if they did to AV's what they've done to trojans with TDS-3, they would put the rest to shame! :D

5. Paul Wilders

Hi PS,

I'm not sure what you are referring to here - in case it's the "pcflank comparison/test": there is a big difference: they tested various ATs on a very suspicous way, and ranked them. In this case, just a few AVs have been picked out to test.

Well, as a comparison between the tested AVs, they might be right as well..

..that's what marketing usually is all about ;)

Nope; sophisticated ATs a quite a different ball game. Personally, I do believe DCS will never enter the AV business.

A different ball game as stated. Nevertheless, I'm sure DCS will be pleased to know you do have that much confidence!

regards.

paul

6. controler

controler Guest

I think it is time to gather forces and prod sombody to get a legit test of all the AV products and include NOD 32 and F-PROT, The products never compared to the major brand names.
    All things should be considered, such as speed, detection rates, compressed-zipped-bound-mutilated.
    Then post the results for all to see. :D
    This would put to rest some of the debate but NEVER all debate.
    There will always be those that like one GUI over another.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

You will find some of tests for f-prot at http://www.av-test.com

NOD32 doesn't enter these kind of tests(or any) because of the poor detection of zoo viruses and backdoor/trojan detection. (Marketing from eset).

Technodrome

8. controler

controler Guest

Hey Tech , How you doin? Are you saying NOD-32 is afraid to enter their software into AV tests because of some weaknesses is certain areas?

9. Paul Wilders

Allow me to correct that statement TD ;)

av-test.com (Andreas Marx c.s.) does have permission from Eset to test NOD32 in the meanwhile. If and when NOD32 will be tested, is up to av-test.com.

btw: without any doubt NOD32 will not score highest in regards to backdoors/trojans: it's an anti-virus in the first place. IMHO one should rely on a separate stand alone resident running anti-trojan to cover both.

regards.

paul

10. Technodrome

Yes! Wouldn't they or anyone else like to score top besides ITW VB 100 test!
    NOD32 is rather weak in regards to ZOO Virus Detection and Trojan/Backdoor.I am more concerned of ZOO viruses then Trojans and Backdoors. I want to see some more tests before I change my mind about what I said!

P.S NOD32 posses strengths among others: Great Heuristics analyzer and almost perfect score in regards to ITW detection rate.

Technodrome

11. Technodrome

I am glad to hear that! I'd be glad if they scored very high in regards to zoo viruses. But we don't know if they will be included!Don't we?

Technodrome

12. Paul Wilders

Hi TD,

..unless we contact Marx, asking for the test bed used ;)

regards.

paul

13. Technodrome

I'd like that!!!
    We should ask! Its free! :D

Technodrome

14. wizard

wizard Registered Member

The results from av-test.org regarding trojan/backdoor detection are useless. Their testset includes also non-trojans like clients or edit servers.

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.