Multiple Net connections

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by VIPER99, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Hey all,

Here is my problem I have a user with a laptop which he links into a docking station at the office and runs his internet off that. Also he goes to another location in the company every so often where he connects through the laptop.

My question is how do I set up two network connections so that one represents the laptop connection and one represents the docking station connection. I've tried setting up multiple connections for 2 hours now and I'm either doing it wrong or it can't be done.

The laptop is running XP Pro if that matters, and both connections have to use different IPs and gateways.

Also would it just be simpler to just bind two different IPs to the one connection.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Try setting up a hardware profile:

3. Close_Hauled

Another choice is to put a network card in the PC-CARD slot. That way you have 2 network connections, one for home, the other for the office.

4. VIPER99

Thanks for the reply Close_Hauled.

I was leaning toward setting up a hardware profile for each location also. But, I was hoping to setup multiple connections through the network connections to remove as much user interaction as possible and mainly because I was told it should work. And I don't like giving up when things aren't turning out the way they are supposed to. So ya I'm fairly stubborn.

Anyway does anyone know what would prevent multiple connections from being created on one device. Is there a network setting that I'm missing somewhere. I have seen this setup before so I know I'm not crazy.

5. VIPER99

Well, I just tried the hardware profile you suggested Close_Hauled and it looks like a no go.

This is because the different profiles seem to share the same IP settings. If I create one profile to use 192.168.x.x and then I go to the next profile and set the IP to obtain automatically the original profile (the one with 192.168.x.x) will be set to obtain automatically.

So now I'm back at square one. :(
    Now I bet someone will ask why I don't use the alternate IP setting. Well I don't do this because the computer needs three different IP settings. One for the main office 192.168.1.x. One for the second office 192.168.2.x and then one set to obtain automatically. The alternate IP setting only allows for two settings. The first is automatically assign and the second is of your chosing. The other way would be to set multiple IPs to one nic but the problem is that the network card will only use the first IP to connect to other devices ex. the internet. This causes a problem if the IP is different from the Default Gateway due to going to a different location.

This whole situation is driving me crazy mainly because a USB port replicator will create a new connection to use in the office and then you use the onboard adapter to connect at other locations. This is different from a docking station which apparently does not create a different network connection even though you can plug you ethernet adapter into the docking station.

So the moral of the story is if you want to get a docking station. DON'T instead get a port replicator.

But ya that was my poor excuse for a rant... I've been at this for awhile. So if anyone has any ideas on how to solve this problem let me know.

Oh ya Close_Hauled I also like your idea of just buying another adapter for the laptop but since I don't pay the bills it doesn't look like its going to happen. Thanks though........

6. Close_Hauled

Sorry to hear that my first idea did not work. I did not think that it would, but it was worth the try.

My second idea is the one that I chose for all of our laptops. The only downside is the proxy settings for the browsers. The user has to know to change them when they get home, and change them back when they are at work.

I would go to www.tucows.com and look under Internet in the Windows download. I am certain that you will find what you are looking for there. If you do, please post it.

EDIT: I found this on Tucows. You might want to give it a spin:

http://www.globesoft.com/mnm7_home.asp

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  7. Close_Hauled

I installed the demo of MultiNetwork Manager 7 onto my laptop. My configuration is a lot more complicated than yours will ever be. If it works for me, it should work for you. I will let you know how it goes.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

couldnt the same adapter have multiple network connections? just go to the Network Connections folder and create a new (lan) connection.

9. Close_Hauled

I am not certain. I believe that you can't without special software that sets up virtual network cards. That is the way we do it at work. We have to have one network card communicate with 2 networks. The physical card is assigned an IP address for one network, while the virtual card is assigned an address for the second. But this will not solve his problem. He is not connecting to 2 networks simultaneously. He is connecting to a single network at different locations, each requiring it's own configuration. The proxy settings for the browsers, and IP addresses for the card need to be changed for each network that he uses.

10. Close_Hauled

So far the software is working. It allows you to select the profile on bootup.

I had a problem where it erased my proxy settings for Firefox. I used the profile editor to put the settings back. We have complicated proxy settings, so it was a tiny pain.

It also slows the boot of the system. If all your proxy settings are the same, and only IP address changes, then I would opt for 2 cards to keep the fast boot.

The interface is easy, and the I have yet to use the manual. To configure it, I told it to auto-sense my network and not map the network drives (server does it with a script).

I will take the computer home and hook it up to my home netork tonight.

11. VIPER99

Thank you very much for all your help Close_Hauled,
    I haven't had the chance to take a look at your links yet but plan too soon.

That's what I thought you should be able to do too WSFuser but apparently not. Unless there is some service that needs to be enabled/disabled for it to work.

If I do find the answer I garantee I will post it here for others to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.