Multiple Instances Of NOD32 Scanner Cause Reboot or Lock-up

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NewNOD, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Has anyone else experienced this:

After leaving my PC while it was downloading several files with a download manager, I returned to find my PC had rebooted. I messed around trying to figure out what happened, at first to no avail. So I re-queued the downloads and watched to see what happened.

This time I noticed that as the NOD32 scanner opened to scan each completed download, my computer locked up, and I had to reboot.

After messing with it a while longer, I ultimately came to this conclusion: if more than one instance of NOD32 is opened (in this case to auto-scan files after download), and the instances are executed in quick succession (as would happen if the files being downloaded were approx. the same size), NOD32 freezes or reboots my PC.

The multiple-instance-reboot can be duplicated here by double-clicking the "Run NOD32" button on the NOD32 screen in Control Center. Double-clicking that button has the same effect as if I hit my restart button. It startled me at first, but I was able to reproduce the behavior several times in a row (glutton for punishment, I guess :) ).

I've not experienced this with other AVs, nor do I recall it happening with pre- "December Update" NOD. Maybe I just didn't have the opportunity to notice with the latter as I haven't used NOD32 much in the last six months. I think what I notice with other AVs is a longer delay between scan windows opening...maybe that delay is what keeps things from crashing.

Tested on WIN98 PC. I haven't installed NOD on my XP PC yet.

Thanks.

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Each time I make a complete system scan with NOD32 on WinXP SP1 PRO everything looks up after a while...

3. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

I don't seem to have the problem on my Win2K machine, and I clicked it a few times...

Attached Files:

• tmp.jpg
      tmp.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
  4. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

anotherjack wrote:
    Just a few times, I'd say. I'd also say you've probably won the prize for biggest *.jpg attachment ever on this forum. :D

Anyway, I can recreate your screenshot (i.e., I can launch lots of instances of NOD32...within constraints of memory and system resources available, of course). It's not the number of instances launched that I was emphasizing, though, it was the amount of time between launches that makes the difference. The smaller the delay, the more likely a problem arose...the worst case scenario being restart of my PC.

Keep launching those space probes. :)

See ya.

5. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I have my machines set to single click.
    I launched 10 instances of NOD32, as fast as I
    could click on it, on a WinME and also a WinXP Pro machine with no problems.

6. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Hey - I have to get a record for SOMETHING... ;-)
    I did launch the instances of NOD shown by clicking the button in rapid succession, not "Click, wait,click,wait,click,wait..." more like "clickclickclickclickclickclickdamntheregoesthespaceprobeclick"

Sorry 'bout the size (what, 86k?), but I was just trying to show 'em all. Here's a special version just for you! :)

Attached Files:

• Test.jpg
      Test.jpg
      File size:
      495 bytes
      Views:
  7. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I wrote:
    Stan wrote:
    Stan999,

When I referred to "double-clicking", I wasn't referring to how you have Windows set up to handle shortcuts and URLs. That setting has now effect on how an application's control buttons respond anyway...unless the application's controls are written in HTML or are driven by *.lnk files (the former is possible for some apps, the latter is highly unlikely, and neither case applies to NOD32).

What I meant by "double-clicking" in the context of the rest of my post was click the control twice really fast to minimize the delay between two launches of NOD32 (each click of the double-click activates the launch of an instance of NOD32). The same would have applied as if I had said "triple-click"... meaning to launch three instances with minimal delay between the instances being launched. The rationale here was to duplicate what had happened when multiple instances of NOD32 had been activated by downloads being completed similtaneously (and of course, having my download manager set to activate NOD32 scanner on competion of downloads).

You may still not have any problems, but I just wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

8. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

I wrote in the second sentence of my last post:

I meant to write:

That setting has no ...

I no you know what I meant, but just in case you didn't now, no you do. :)

9. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi NewNOD,

That is what I did. I just tried it again on both machines.
    I click 4 time in rapid succession. All four opened with
    out any problems. However, this is on a WinME and
    WinXP Pro machine. I don't have a Win98 machine
    to test on.

10. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Great. Thanks for the info and taking the time to test.

My last "re-explanation" was prompted by you saying "I have my machines set to single click." That part threw me I guess.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.