Multiboot with several xp partitions, how to configure?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by tbpot, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbpot

tbpot Registered Member

Hi there,

i have read many posts on here but i cant solve the problem :(

the only post on this forum looks simular, is the one from batfink, ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=207308#post207308 ) well i have the same problems here.

this is what i want;

i like to create 3 bootable xp partition sizes (example C: D: E: ) witch detected bij the os selector and managed bij startup.

But this is what happend;

when i installed the first os on c: the os selector (if activated) shows the xp os in the bootscreen and when i dubbelclick on it, it starts the os xp installed on c:
    when i copy the os xp to D: the os selector detect the new os xp ass wel, but when i start the secund detect operating system (on D: ) via the os selector the computer starts up with the one on c: .
    the same thing happend with the copy of the os to E:, at startup it let me see the one i installed on c: .

AND YES I READ THE MANUAL, but it only tells me what the software can, but not tells me how to configure it as well.

What am i doing wrong? anyone has an idea or solution??, please let me know.

as i told, the user "batfink" had a solution, but i am not able to understand everything he told in his comment and replays. :eek:

maybe someone can explain things step by step? (acronis were are you?)

I use windows xp home edition with sp1 integrated and, have acronis TI 8.0, Drive cleanser 6.0 and disc director 9.0 (on advise from acronis)

2. tbpot

tbpot Registered Member

did no one know how to do thato_Oo_O :oops:

3. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

I have read the "batfink" thread too and also find it confusing at best (admittedly, I did read thru it rather quickly!).

Your boot.ini file is not configured properly (given the OSS results you have described). The second issue would be how M$ handles coexistance of the same or similar OS's on the same drive (different partitions). I will not elaborate because that is an issue in itself!

Shooting from the hip (because I have never tried installing multiple copies of the same OS) I would do a separate XP vanilla install from CD on each of the 3 partitions and see if OSS as well as M$ will able to sort it out. You have nothing to lose except some of your time. Good Luck! *puppy*

4. RTShaw

RTShaw Registered Member

lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.& control wqAT i type. thank u 4 your patirnce & understanding.

yep does the same damn thing 2 me too
    and i get no answers from tech support.. damn i sdpent 39-49 buxs on this and cant even get help
    maybe i shoulfd have stuck with (bad word - boot magic) just teasing but i need help i need 2 get osselector installed so i can set up my hardware

5. Mindragon

Mindragon Guest

The trick to this is NOT to make a duplicate of your first partition. If you do Windows will think that EVERY OS you try to run is located on Disk 0, partition 1. What you need to do is install XP on your first partition and then install all yours drivers etc... Then while running that version of XP put in your OS disk and let it auto start, or autorun from explorer, whatever the case is. When it pops up its menu it will give you the option to install XP. Select that option and I believe it is the second or third screen that you can select "Advanced Options". Go ahead and select it and it will have a box to check for "Allow me to choose the install partition". Check it and continue on with your install. After rebooting XP will then display all of your HD's and all of the partitions on them. Now is the time to select the second and/or third partition that you want to install on. Thats it. XP has a basic, but very effective little bootloader built into the OS. I believe it will even let you install your second or third XP on a non primary partition. The catch is that all of your main system files (IE ntload, boot.ini, etc...) are still stored on partition one and there is still only one MBR of course. Hiding the primary partition will also cause more problems since it contains all the necessary boot information. But for your average joe, it will be just like running three completely independent copies of XP with little hassle. Hope this helped my poor typing friend.'

The Mindragon

6. GenevaBoot

GenevaBoot Registered Member

HI
    I just got the answer :D :D :cool: *puppy*
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
    everybody says thank you, Dan Goodell...

After you copy - restore your system - modify boot.ini :
    "use a Win98 boot floppy ("Windows 98 Startup Disk"). Boot the computer from the boot floppy, run the command "fdisk /mbr", remove the floppy, and reboot into 2000/XP."

=> The drive's letters are deleted and windows will start with a new C: (the one you want).

:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.