Multi Engine AV Apps

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok I did search around guys but I didn't notice anything, so I wanted to start a thread just for Multi-Engine AV Apps.

Now this would be interesting to check out if anyone knows of any front end gui that work with several preinstalled apps to do a multi scan like this app I noticed;

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/05/25/multiple-antivirus-software-on-windows-computer/

If you know any and know something about them, please post them here.

Gdata
    http://www.gdatasoftware.com/

Hitman Pro
    http://www.surfright.nl/en

Coranti 2010
    http://www.coranti.com/en/1/homepage.html

Metascan
    http://www.opswat.com/products/metascan/metascan

TrustPort
    http://www.trustport.com/

THANKS

2. CiX

CiX Registered Member

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

4. guest

guest Guest

Bitdefender+In House

I am not sure maybe include f-prot

5. guest

guest Guest

Maybe this could be valid.

Immunet= Bitdefender + Immunet Cloud and Local engines.

I think that right now Immunet has 2 engines with different trees each one made by them + Bitdefender.
    I read in the forum that they will include more than 7 specialized engines for different kinds of malware in the cloud before the end of the year. Is posted at the end of the Immunet thread here in wilders.

6. andylau

andylau Registered Member

F-Secure did not include f-prot engine anymore.:D

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

bitdefender and a few in house engines.
    hydra is a signature engine
    gemini is the engine for deepguard
    blacklight is for rootkits

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thanks guys for the input, now can we start getting some links to other Multi-Engine AV apps, if there's anymore?

THANKS

9. guest

guest Guest

Ad-aware=In house+Sunbelt engine
    Emsisoft=In house+Ikarus engine

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Hitman Pro is not an AV. It's a second opinion multi-engine scanner.

11. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

:thumb:

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I do not know if this really counts but eScan is also a multi-engine scanner. It uses BitDefender's engine + its own in-house engine (mainly used for Anti-spyware and cleaning purposes).

Webroot and ZoneAlarm also offer multi-engine products, with Webroot using it's own engine + Sophos and ZoneAlarm using it's own AS engine along with Kaspersky.

Finally, PC Tools Spyware Doctor+AV is also a multi-engine product now since it also incorporates the Norton Antivirus engine and database alongside PC Tools' own engine in recent versions.

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    A slight branch of this topic...yet still technically on topic, is replacing your plain old NAT router with a "UTM appliance". A UTM appliance is basically a robust "Unified Threat Management" firewall that takes the place of your regular router (or...they can run behind your main router in transparent proxy/bridged mode). UTM appliances scan all traffic that flows through them, before it enters your network. This includes web traffic, and mail traffic.

The advantages of this?
    *Checking traffic before it gets to your computer(s).
    *No added software on your computer(s)...thus no added performance hit to the computer
    *The advantage of using another AV product(s) to check data...so you get more confidence that threats are more thoroughly checked. AV brand A on your desktops, and AV brand B and even C scanning traffic at the gateway. So data passes through 3x AV brands overall.
    *Some even had another technology scanning for adware/spyware that is separate from the AV modules, so you get even more..consider it like a 4th or 5th brand of checking.

For home use, many with just a single PC or two or three may consider these overkill. And they are generally "build your own" hardware...for these *nix distros. Some familiarity with networking is required, and a bit of hardware knowledge. You usually just get a moderately powered PC with 2x NICs, boot from the CD, run through the easy installation wizard, and it's done, you don't need to know liinux to use these, they're all managed through a web browser interface much like a home grade router. And you don't need a massive PC sucking up lotsa room, making noise, and punching up your electric bill, there are many small Atom or Duo Core PCs that are small form factor, low noise, low power consumption. I run mine from a fanless mini-ITX chassis, dual core Atom D510 processor, and a Seagate Pipeline hard drive which is a drive made especially for purposes like DVRs or appliances that run the drive 24x7, low power consumption, extra quiet, low heat output.

Examples of the distros...basic versions are free for home users.
    www.untangle.com
    www.astaro.com

I run them at home (currently using Astaro HGW, but I flip flop and try new distros a lot), and I use Untangle at quite a few business network clients of mine. I can say with authority, at my clients where I've installed Untangle have had a very noticable drop in malware problems, compared to other clients of mine that haven't allowed me to install Untangle yet. All other things are generally equal, my usual care of their computers, Eset AV on the desktops/servers, etc. So the clear difference in statistics that I see across the large number of clients on both sides is testimony to the effectiveness of a UTM.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Not anymore, they replaced the own AS with a more advanced heuristics engine running the files in a sandbox (called "advanced scan"), always internally developed. They do mantain blacklists on spyware and phishing sites as in the past. :)

15. OPSWAT

OPSWAT Registered Member

Feel free to let us know if anyone has any questions about Metascan. Unlike the others it's not suitable for home use, but is more typically used by engineers and IT pros to integrate scanning capabilities to other solutions. Most commonly things like file upload servers.

16. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Is it just me or do a lot of AVs use the BitDefender engine?

17. CiX

CiX Registered Member

GData, F-Secure, eScan, Qihoo 360, Immunet, ZenOK?...... use BD engine

18. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

+Trustport

19. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

+Bullguard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.