Mullvad Question?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by LinuxNewb, Feb 19, 2015.

1. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb Registered Member

Anybody notice that when you use the USA server option that the IP address shows up as being in Denmark? I am wondering if they ditched there USA serverso_O

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've seen analogous changes with several VPNs.

As IPv4 addresses have become scarcer, blocks have been sold without regard for geolocation. So geolocation databases have to keep up with changes. That could work both ways, though. Maybe the Mullvad server is in Denmark, but had an IPv4 address that was part of a US-assigned range. And now the database has been corrected.

I gather that users can submit geolocation corrections. See http://whatismyipaddress.com/update-location-test , Maybe VPN providers can too. It could get complicated.

3. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb Registered Member

It used to show up on an IP check in Virginia i just happened to check it today to make sure my vpn was working and it showed as Denmark.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It may well change back and forth, over time.

5. yes I've noticed it as well on Mullvad.

Also SWEDISH servers showing up as Switzerland servers.

Strange huh!?!?!

6. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

I've seen this on another VPN a few times. What's funny is that whatismyip.com will show the right country, but whoer.net or some other site will show the wrong one, or vice versa- check a few places and look at which countries Youtube and Yahoo direct to.

What's even weirder is that with one VPN I've used, the IP and DNS show up as USA on every site, but when I go to Youtube or Google search, it thinks I'm in Germany (shows Youtube DE). Could anybody explain that? I'm not physically in Germany so it's not a leak of some sort

7. guest

guest Guest

Happened to me with 3 VPNs when tested them. One of them showed me that I'm from Pakistan! :eek: So I don't think it is provider specific.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.