Mullvad Browser

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by longshots, Apr 3, 2023.

1. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Mullvad Browser 12.0.7 has been released. (09-June-2023)

2. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Why is the screen size so restricted in this browser?

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

explanation?
    mulvad browser is something between tor browser and firefox (esr).
    ESR gets no new features, only security fixes, so it may lack in some ways.

4. Arequire

Arequire Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  5. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

6. Brummelchen

dont use torbrower or mullvad browser.

btw in fact if you have a fixed screen size those users are more easily to detect than eg me.

edit: cant make torbrowser working, lol

for mulvad on browserleaks
    Screen Resolution 1000×800 (Letterboxing) 24-bit TrueColor (viewport: 983×800)

viewport width is right, but height not
    screen resolution is multiple of 50/100/200/400, its smaller than viewport thus you get a grey space.

multiple of 100x is just enough to recognize you as a mullvad or torbrowser user.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  7. Arequire

Arequire Registered Member

Type about:config into the address bar, click through the warning, then search for privacy.resistFingerprinting.letterboxing and toggle it to false.

8. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

How should i do to import passwords? When i import from chrome through the bookmark manager, it looks like it succeded but when going to a site, nothing. Do i have to change something in config?

9. Brummelchen

export/import from what browser?

10. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Uninstalled it, to buggy.

11. Brummelchen

maybe its not designed to use this setting and not to lose its fingerprint detection. who knows.

12. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Show bookmarks on New tab - did not work from the beginning after the install.

It is small and fast which is appealing to me so i will probably try it later on.

13. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Mullvad Browser 12.5 has been released. (27-June-2023)

Changelog
    All Platforms
    • Updated uBlock Origin to 1.50.0
    • Updated mullvad-browser-extension to version 0.8.3
    Windows + macOS + Linux
    • Bug 41577: Disable profile migration [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41595: Disable pagethumbnails capturing [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41609: Move the disabling of Firefox Home (Activity Stream) to base-browser [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41668: Move part of the updater patches to the base browser [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41686: Move the 'Bug 11641: Disable remoting by default' commit from base-browser to tor-browser [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41695: Port warning on maximized windows without letterboxing from torbutton [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41701: Reporting an extension does not work [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41711: Race condition when opening a new window in New Identity [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41736: Customize the default CustomizableUI toolbar using CustomizableUI.jsm [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41738: Replace the patch to disable live reload with its preference [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41775: Avoid re-defining some macros in nsUpdateDriver.cpp [tor-browser]
    Windows + Linux
    • Bug 41654: UpdateInfo jumped into Data [tor-browser]
    Linux
    • Bug 40860: Improve the transition from the old fontconfig file to the new one [tor-browser-build]
    • Bug 41163: Many bundled fonts are blocked in Ubuntu/Fedora because of RFP [tor-browser]
    • Bug 41732: implement Linux font whitelist as defense-in-depth [tor-browser]
    Build System
    All Platforms
    • Bug 40837: Rebase mullvad-browser build changes onto main [tor-browser-build]
    • Bug 40870: Remove URL without browser name from tools/signing/download-unsigned-sha256sums-gpg-signatures-from-people-tpo [tor-browser-build]
    Windows + macOS + Linux
    • Bug 40826: Correctly set appname_marfile for basebrowser in tools/signing/nightly/update-responses-base-config.yml [tor-browser-build]
    • Bug 40866: Remove Using Ansible to set up a nightly build machine from README [tor-browser-build]
    macOS
    • Bug 40858: Create script to assist testers self sign Mac builds to allow running on Arm processors [tor-browser-build]

14. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

I wonder when or if we'll be seeing a Firejail profile?

15. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Well, adjusting the existing firefox-profile shouldn't be difficult (and the included firefox-common.profile can probably be used unchanged). Why don't you try to modify it yourself and make a pull request? Firejail is a community project after all. Btw., Firejail contributor glitsj16 has an unofficial profile here.

16. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Mullvad Browser 12.5.1 has been released. (04-July-2023)

Update: Auto-update or download.

All Platforms
    • Updated Firefox to 102.13.0esr
    • Bug 192: Rebase Mullvad Browser 12.5 stable on top of 102.13esr [mullvad-browser]
    • Bug 41854: Download Spam Protection cannot be overridden to allow legitimate downloads [tor-browser]

17. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

If Mullvad Browser was incorporated into Sandboxie, most probably, MB would be my favorite browser - fast, private, just perfect for my simple Internet needs.

18. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Mullvad Browser 12.5.2 has been released. (07-August-2023)

Update: Auto-update or download.

Changelog
    All Platforms
    • Updated NoScript to 11.4.26
    • Updated uBlock Origin to 1.51.0
    • Updated Firefox to 102.14.0esr
    • Bug 217: Rebase Mullvad Browser 12.5 stable on top of 102.14esr
    [mullvad-browser]
    Build System
    All Platforms
    • Bug 40889: Add Mullvad sha256sums URL to tools/signing/download-unsigned-sha256sums-gpg-signatures-from-people-tpo [tor-browser-build]
    • Bug 40894: Fix format of keyring/boklm.gpg [tor-browser-build]
    • Bug 40909: Add dan_b and ma1 to the list of taggers in relevant projects
    [tor-browser-build]
    Windows
    • Bug 31546: Create and expose PDB files for Tor Browser debugging on Windows [tor-browser-build]

19. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

20. Jan Willy

Jan Willy Registered Member

Is Mullvad browser meaningful for people who don't use Mullvad VPN? I don't see advantages over Tor browser. Without using Tor network it can't reach Tor browsers anonymity. Concerning anti fingerprinting it doesn't add something. For anti fingerprinting both browsers use the build-in NoScript add-on. Only in the browser-setting Safest you get the result 'Protecting you from fingerprinting? Yes' on coveryourtracks.eff.org. It means that javascript is disabled, so many sites will be broken. In my eyes it's not a workable solution. In the settings Standard and Safer the fingerprint is 'nearly unique'. I think Brave does a better job with its randomized fingerprint (and doesn't need an add-on).

21. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello @Jan Willy

Perhaps browser anti-tracking and anti-fingerprinting defensive changes came easy to you with some thoughtful self-study.

But for those who are quite timid or suspicious regarding defensive changes and hardening additions to their browsers and systems, maybe the Mullvad Browser is a step in the right direction for them. Of course, other Firefox/Chrome-based browsers have interesting features.

From what little I have derived, I believe a subscription to the Mullvad VPN may not be mandatory, and another VPN provider may suffice.

Cheers

22. Jan Willy

Yet another party that looks over your shoulder.

23. Brummelchen

no, not even close. Mullvad Browser is a very small niche product, even less than Tor is.
    at least it has benefit for nothing. just use a regular browser and a vpn, but dont expect that a vpn would cover anything. a vpn may cover something, but at least its access to pages you cant reach without. no more, no less. any other is just a marketing gag and has no value.
    and to say it again – such niche browsers from third party will disappear again like it always did. support is lousy or not existent. i would never rely on such crippled software.

24. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

Mullvad vs Brave browser. Let's hear it a contrast and compare. BTW, I saw. https://privacytests.org/

25. Jan Willy

Mullvad browser works at default in so-called incognito or private mode. To compare with other browsers view https://privacytests.org/private.html

Edit: This comparison shows that Mullvad browser certainly isn't unique.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.