MST Defrag 2.0 released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by NGRhodes, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are you using the home version?
    it seems very cheap.
    $15 for the home version is £7
    any advantages for the workstation version for home use?
    lodore

3. NGRhodes

Just to let you know, I have just started to try out MST defrag 2.

I've been running it for 2 days and so far seems very good.

Firstly, I am writing this whilst it is auto defragging a large ISO that I just downloaded, the previous version has issues over defragging large files in the exact same partition (ie it would completely fail to), this issue appears to be fixed.

Also, another issue was that once MST Defrag previously started defragging a large file it would not even pause until finished, which would cause big laaaaaaaaggggggg in certain situations. I can confirm that they have also fixed this (I suggested a more granular file move algorithm).

There are a few other features I suggested which hopefully I might be able to confirm as well that I suggested :D (I suggested some better file queueing alogrithm (prioritises small files over large ones, prioritising file defrag over file move and also a method to improve the defrag smart/m)

Good thing is, this means the guys have listened to my comments (and fixed my problems) and if I can this time sucessfully complete the trial I will be purchasing the home edition.

I would recommend anyone try this version out as it has a better gui (to edit config files), it sits nicely between Diskeeper and Perfectdisk, its real time, but a single pass design and with a low price.

4. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Just tried it on my Vista machine and not so good. When it began to defrag my cursor started jumping toward the upper left of my screen. Got so bad I had to uninstall. :eek:

Was kind of looking forward to this one because of its defrag philosophy. I contacted MST support.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I absolutely love this program! Previously I used JKDefrag, which is also a very good program, but this has it beat. I can what nickr said about the previous version having issues with large files. That issue has been fixed in this new version. The only advantage to the workstation version, as opposed to the home version, is the workstation version can be installed and operated remotely; locally they are the same product.

6. NGRhodes

After running MST defrag for a week I have found it to be good.
    The boot time defrag is weak, numerous metadata files that it would'nt defrag.
    Proactive defrag is a lot better than before, not quite as smooth as diskeeper (noticeable -but does not hinder general usage of machine) and it struggled on defragging one large file (and was not even the largest file that was initially fragmented).
    Did a good job of consolidating free space, couldn't tell if the various defrag methods were working (as the file map had no highlighting to compare).

Going to a trial of Diskeeper 2007, it straight away handled the single fragmented file and also cleaned up my fragmented metadata with a boot time defrag.

A few minor flaws, but for the low cost, I think this version of MST Defrag would make a worthwhile purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.