MSoft's Palladium vs Linux

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Paul Wilders, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

While open-source software's reputation for security has taken a hit lately, Microsoft's Palladium presents itself as an opportunity to improve security by eliminating entire classes of potential exploits. However, Palladium cannot protect us from most security threats - and its aim may be to eliminate open source software on commodity hardware.

Nobody disputes that buffer overflows and similar attacks have been one of the most persistent sources of serious security problems in recent years.

Palladium might provide substantial security against these attacks, because it will require that all code be digitally signed before it can run. This will be enforced at the hardware level, to reduce the likelihood of serious implementation bugs. This model could plausibly eliminate attacks whereby low-level code might be erroneously executed by a privileged application.

full article:

http://online.securityfocus.com/columnists/96

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

The one single attack Palladium won't prevent is Microsoft's attack on my wallet. :(

3. controler

controler Guest

Whew!!!!!!!!!!

wiping sweat off brow,, and I thought you were going to say something about Symantec purchasing Security Softs buisness..

And I thought the main focus here was security and protecting the innocent..... :eek:

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Money is always innocent. To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit: "I'm not bad, it's just the way I'm spent."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.