MSN / Windows Messenger virus / worm

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ChrisP, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

A regular and trusted MSN contact sent me a link a few days back http://myhotmailname.datsyou.com/ (where myhotmailname is my hotmail name in reality. I went to the URL and it prompted me for my username and password - like a fool, I entered the info and was immediately signed out of my Messenger on my PC saying I had signed in at a different location.

I thiught this was odd and immediately went to my MSN account and changed my password as I guessed something dodgy had gone on. My MSN contact would not reply to my qiestions online and it since turns out he was not online and has some worm / virus infection and has been sending these messages to all his contacts.

The thing is, even though I have changed my password, when I log on to Messenger or Hotmail, I get a message saying I have use the maximum nimber of password attempts - or some similar thing. Clearly, this worm is still entereing my old password and screwing my account.

Is it the case that the prob is the infection on my contacts PC, or is it something wider?

All advice welcome!

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I saw that before. Didn't you read the license agreement? It was very clear.
    Anyway, you aren't infected. Probably there's a bot that is trying to login to your account. There is only one way to login now. Go to login.live.com. Try to login. It will say you that you exceeded the attempts. It will then prompt you to enter besides your username and password a CAPTCHA. Enter them, login, then you can freely use Messenger.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi, there was no license agreement. I have changed the password already, but MSN keeps telling me I have had too mant attempts and need to verify my password again - so clearly this bot /virus is still trying to enter my old password

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

There was a license agreement if you went down as far as I remember...
    Anyway, the only way to continue logging in is using the method I described in my previous post.
    This:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.