MSE?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by russland, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's been an interesting thread & I have found it quite enlightening in many respects. They say 'knowledge is power', so the more you know the better you should be able to deal with situations 'out of the blue' (easily applicable to a malware scenario) or prevent anything in the first place.

I think, even taking what we have discussed into account, MSE is still the preferred solution for me at the moment, especially on my notebook. I admit it is quite easy to become an MSE fanboy for all of the reasons that you have stated above. I can't believe that previously I managed to run relatively heavy suites on my notebook. MSE was a bit of a revelation in that respect. I was a bit disappointed in the Panda Cloud Free's false-positive results. I gave it a fling after being impressed by Panda's quite entertaining advert. It almost lasted a whole day on my notebook, at first it seemed great, but the first full scan found six 'viruses'! I had a list of potential replacement AVs & MSE was next. I didn't expect it to be nearly as light on my notebook as Panda was. After running a very light AV, even for only a day, there was no way I was going back to surfing in slow motion!

I also think that you are quite correct in saying that most people seem to believe that Microsoft should have some special insight into its own OS & believe MSE to be almost 'official' protection. I certainly still have this feeling, whether true or not.

At the end of the day, ironically, MSE has become a bit of a victim of its own success. It is now almost certainly one of the first AVs that malware writers try to bypass.

You're welcome.

2. russland

russland Registered Member

Yikes! When I started this thread I did not count on such spirited discussion. I am however pleased by the number of pros & cons pointed out by many present and past users. I will agree that MSE has it's problems as happens with most software, I will continue to use it in my anti-malware arsenal. So far MSE v4 beta has done a good job on my systems. I thank the members of this forum for their opionions and observations. I think this turned out to be a decent thread.

3. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I hope so.

I try to give my input in the best way I can but I am often guilty of putting too much emotion into it.

4. desertjon

desertjon Registered Member

MSE in my opinion runs too slow scanning and slows your pc down a notch or two..I tried upgrading to the 2.0 version and it told me I possible have counterfeit windows..lol I have genuine windows and have the advantage validation tool installed but mse will not allow me to install it..I uninstalled version 1..There are others out there that do the same thing if not better

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Slow scanning - Maybe
    Slows your pc down - Not really, it's actually the lightest AV I have installed. (Just my opinion though)

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I reaffirm what I posted before [largely ignored, though], MSE is not "heavy" for your daily computer usage.

Its biggest drawback [in my opinion] is when you try to open a folder with many .EXE files on it, through Windows Explorer. The time between MSE analyzing each .EXE file and when you can actually interact with such file is...painfully slow.

Carlos

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

No Way.

It was not 'largely ignored.'

Ok, maybe some ignored it, but not me.

...ok fine, maybe I didn't notice it the first time.

But I always pay attention to everything you say about Symantec EndPoint Protection.

True Dat.

-ftp

8. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your tips!!! :D :cool: :D

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I find it scans more quickly than anything I have used before*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  10. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

You are welcome Doraemon.....

HKEY1952

11. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Unfortunately those tips won't work in v4...real-time options is just on/off.

12. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials version 4 is still in Beta stage, so do not speculate.

Currently, in Beta stage, those options are not available.

Perhaps Microsoft is hiding some Options in the Beta to test the security softwares default configuration.

EDIT: clarity

HKEY1952

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  13. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.