MSE, three defs, one huge

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by emmjay, Jan 10, 2017.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I got three definitions updates today from MSE on W7.

1.235.80.0, 1.235.65.0 and 1.235.53.0.

I did not see any of them in Windows Update first, so did not see the size of each download (they are usually really small). At around 5pm est NA, I noticed that 1.235.80.0 came in around 175MB. That is the entire size of the MSE DB. I have seen this happen before on W7 but I do not know what triggers it.

Anyone else see this today?

2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

It happened again today. This is totally random and makes no sense.

Definition Update 1.235.1132.0 at 124MB (a BITS initiated download/install).

Nuts. :confused::confused::confused:

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Norton does that at times. Possibly corrupted database?

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Yeah I considered that. I did some searches online and came across a small business that had experienced the same thing with Windows Defender on W10. The IT Admin said that there was a definition update that was 175MB on Jan 23. It was not a release update or anything like that (even those are only a few MBs, never around 175MB).

I know that Windows Update uses Akamai servers and it also connects to web address vps1.supremus.com (the connection to WUD to check for an Update to the "UL" file).

I am wondering if the definitions update for W7 MSE and W10 Windows Defender are occasionally corrupted before they leave the Akamai server. Definitions updates do get sent out of sequence sometimes. This might be the trigger for BITS to release the entire DB for download.

I do not do manual updates on MSE, so any sequencing problems is on the server side.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.