MSE seems to be excellent

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

that's great JRViejo,
    But I think the response time depends on work load. For me Dr Web often reported me within 2 hours, often it took more than 24 hours.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sg09, and perhaps, severity as well.

These so called DHL Invoice zipped files are prevalent (at least in my inbox - it seems like I receive one every week!), and as MS points out "This Win32/Oflicla variant attempts to connect with a remote host and download a configuration data file that instructs the trojan to retrieve other malware from additional download locations" could have been the reason why MS acted sooner rather than later.

3. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Well, now I'm on GDATA :D
    I tried it few days ago with whole suite and had to drop it because of high CPU usage (turned out their firewall was causing that), now I installed just AV with Comodo firewall (just firewall, no D+ and other stuff). Working great I must say, if there is no random high CPU usage or memory eating I'll stick with it for sure.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Yes that's true. But without analyzing how can they determine the severity? And if they analyzed it they what should be the reason for delay? I doubt if workload matters here.

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

They fixed their updating issue and would probably use the AV but for some reason if I'm playing a game and it updates, it knocks you to the desktop.:mad:
    Not sure if there is a work around for this behavior. Some other AV's detect the full screen mode and do not knock you to the desktop.

I think is runs light and has good detection capabilities.

Ice

6. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Been using MSE for quite some time now...coupled with some sensible thinking you wouldn't need anything else ever again!! Catches most of those pesky ones as well who do manage to get through though...

MSE ftw!! :)

7. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Are any of you guys using MSE with pctools firewall? how does it workout ? any compatibility issues? please let me know. I installed MSE on my kids pc afew days ago (win 7).I used it a while back on my notebook with windows firewall.

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

No problem in it updating. See simple fix for those who turn their PCs or laptops off frequently.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1635056&postcount=12

More info on how MSE works with Sandboxie here.

Great performance in the latest AVC test. In most of the testing I've done, MSE always performed well.

It won't suit everyone, but then again, no product does.

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Brainrb1...tried mse the otherday...currently use it in conjunction with p.c. tools firewall plus...and no conflicts whatsoever! I'm currently using anti-vir personal...and by weeks end might revert back to mse. Sincerely...Securon

10. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I used MSE when it first came out then moved on to something else. I've been trying to re-install again but am not able. Installer starts but I keep getting an error message saying that MSE is not able to install. Anyone else have a similar problem?

11. brainrb1

Thank you and good morning to you too.I was reading in their forums that it works best with the windows firewall so was kind of confused and wanted to know how does it pair up with third party firewalls.With windows firewall it was hard to control outbound programs i wanted to block.
    I am using pctools with avast on my notebook with no problems so far.I would want to hear from some longtime users because if its more secure with windows firewall then i will not compromise security, its for kids after all.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, you can use whatever firewall you want. MSE doesn't have any kind of feature that somehow makes it more secure when you use different applications, it's standalone, and uses system services already available.

13. brainrb1

Thank you but their forums are full of advice to use it with windows firewall,maybe they have designed it to hook something into windows firewall.Well i will give it a try anyway and see how it goes:thumb:

14. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

No big problems here jerry since the MSE beta last year. Installed MSE and did not look back. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  15. brainrb1

Using with pctools firewall three hours and its doing great far better and snappier than with windows firewall, both a keeper for my kids:thumb:

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Windows firewall is a light and simple firewall that gets the job done, ofcourse they will recommend it, why wouldn't they? It's already installed, and just requires to be turned on, no further support from them.

Again, no there is no magical hooks into Windows Firewall that makes it more secure. Windows Firewall uses the Windows Filtering Platform API, which is a part of Windows, and what MSE would use if it needed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.