MSE seems to be excellent

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would much rather use OA than the W7 firewall. That limitation would let it out for me right now.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. guest

guest Guest

Again:
    From the pdf:
    "While the battle against malware remains challenging, from these results you cannot infer that “antivirus companies are losing” because the test only considered a very limited subset of the functionality of the anti-malware products."

3. simisg

simisg Registered Member

mse has very high cpu usage in xp sp3 when you download a new file ,on startup and when you checking files in explorer......

4. Ibn Saeed

Ibn Saeed Registered Member

How does Online Armor Free work with MSE on the same comp. ?

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm just going with what you guys are saying, but assuming OA and MSE still don't work, I'd have to wonder to myself, what exactly is OA doing to your system code wise that you don't know about, when other 3rd party firewalls work fine? To the point that Microsoft would actually recommend not running it?

In today's age of Windows operating systems, with services like the Windows Filtering Platform, a firewall shouldn't cause such incompatibilities.

6. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Microsoft does not advise using third party firewalls,or any other security related third party software running real time with MSE, so to use it the proper way windows firewall is a musto_O The anti-virus comparative reports for may look real good for MSE ,don't know what went wrong with avast (really liked it).

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Please point me to where Microsoft recommend running no other 3rd party security software other than MSE. By the sounds of it, it seems you have misinterpreted someone saying that you should only run 1 real-time AV which is entirely correct.

8. brainrb1

MSE forums.i used MSE for eight months a while back and used to visit their forums when MSE was newly released to check on compatibility issues.Its not only firewall they don't advise MSE with any other security related third party software.(although you may use some other third party firewall it is advised that you run it with windows firewall for maximum protectiono_O?)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

That sounds like Bitdefender. They recommend same.

Anyway the reasons I didn't like MSE.
    1. Sometimes it blocks threat (not memory resident) and could not delete it even after reboot. I don't know if anyone faced this problem. I had to disable the realtime protection (to unlock) and then manually delete it.
    2. Very very slow scan speed.
    3. Too much simple interface. Almost no scope for customization.
    4. Problems with update.

10. brainrb1

When you install mSE it even asks you to remove any other security related software and i have not misinterpreted on the one realtime antivirus thing most of us know that already.

11. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I hear good things about MSE from everyone and personally really want MSE to last and be on top. Personally though had a bad experience and it was actually the first not controlled "real world" infection I saw these last 10 years. It was on the pc of a friend ( windows 7 32bit + MSE + PCTools Firewall ).

I had not the time then to get all the details...MSE was detecting the malware...was saying that has removed it successfully but then a new detection was there after the reboot. I hope that was just a case. ( January 2010 )

12. brainrb1

If you contact their support, most likely they would advise you to use it with windows firewall:argh: :argh:

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Man, what a bad dream last night. Wow, thought I had installed MSE, imagine that, me installing a free product.;)

Avira to the end!!!!

14. progress

progress Guest

... or maybe Avira :D

15. Ibn Saeed

Ibn Saeed Registered Member

In that case, Ill stick with NOD32 or Avira (I hate that forceful Donation on their site)

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

So from MSE to Avirao_O

17. progress

progress Guest

Yeah, and back from Avira to MSE tomorrow ;)

18. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

I don't think that's fair. Not all components are tested in this test.

19. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I'm back with Avast :)
    When I think better, why would I follow some results from someone, my results r good enough for me :p

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good Job...:D :D :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  21. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Trjam the last days:
    Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro is the best
    Back to ESET
    Using MSE again
    ****, back to Avira, me using a free product wtf?

:D

ONTOPIC:
    I do like Microsoft Security Essentials, I love it's GUI, it works perfect because it is better coded than most others. It's detection is quite alright. It blends in so nicely with MSE. It has a native 64-bit application. It's scanning speed although is rather slow, but I mean, I never run a scan.
    And it feels really light to me: it surely sucks up a lot of RAM, about 60 MB here, ESET uses 48 MB (MSE my favourite freebie, ESET my favourite overaal). Both are RAM resource hogs, but here they both feel lighter than all others with much lower ram usage. CPU time, properly coded and stability and so on are more important in how fast an AV feels than RAM usage. Why should I care about an security app using some of my 4 GB RAM?

22. progress

progress Guest

Because you can see how excellent the source code is :) If it's possible to code an AV with 40 MB RAM usage I would never use an AV which needs 300 MB RAM.

23. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've been finding it to be excellent...I've been using it myself on my home rigs since the BETA days of it.

And for the "freebie" jobs that I do for friends and families home computers....I've switched all over to using this product. Prior to that I'd have other freebies on there like AVG or Avast or AntiVir. More often than not it would be AVG...quite useless IMO, but those cheapo freebie users would not reregister Avast and AntiVir would have its update problems now 'n then.

But anyways...certainly we all know some users that constantly get infected. Since switching them to MSE I've had reduced problems with them...far reduced. And with me....friends and family that call me is a HUGE number of people....so the fact that I see reduced problems since installing MSE speaks huge volumes for its effectiveness. Real use by real people out in the real world...when multiplied by many people with different systems and different habits...that right there is the greatest statement.

In using it at home to help clean infested PCs...I find it works great also..often detecting new rogues/fake alerts that a prior scan with Eset NOD32 didn't even catch (which I see more and more often).

It's basic, it's simple, it's not confusing for home users, it just..does its job quietly and does it well. System impact isn't bad...yeah older PCs with earlier P4's and just 512 megs of RAM will feel a hit...but they'll feel a hit with any other AV product. Todays dual core rigs with a gig or more..you don't really feel it.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I appreciate the comments, and while the test results do indicate a high protection rate for MSE, the experience posted here would make me go back to Avast Free. It has always run well without problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Like other AV companies, Microsoft provides the means to Submit a Sample of suspected malware.

Last month, I had the first chance to submit one (DHL_invoice_Nr6347.zip) containing the TrojanDropper:Win32/Oficla.G, and what surprised me the most was the receipt of 3 emails informing me that: 1. MS had received it; 2. MS was investigating it and 3. MS was going to include it in the next update.

For a behemoth like MS, from the time of reporting to the time of the update, the total time was 6 hours! I was pleasantly surprised, given the size of MS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.