MSE not updating

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Skip007, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip007

Skip007 Registered Member

I read in another section of the forum that MSE had released updates today.
    When I go to update my MSE it searches and finds nothing newer than March 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM I presume Pacific Time in US. Database or version:
    Now this worries me, could the MSE be comprised, I've scanned with SuperantiSpyware and MBAM and nothing. Should I uninstall MSE and then get latest? What is going on?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What is the virus version you have displayed now? Updates will not be available to all around the world instantly. It will probably update in few hours

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I suppose there's a lag between the moment they provide a full definitions update at the official website (-https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToMSE.aspx) and MSE update servers.

Wait a while, and see if it updates then.

4. Skip007

Thank you both for responding. The current database that I have is:

I read elsewhere on this forum that the update was: Latest definition version:1.123.150.0 .
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2032490

It has been over 36 hours since my MSE has found an update, that is not normal for the MSE as I've had it for over a year now.
    I sense that something is not right.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You got the same definitions version as one of my relatives. My best bet is that you're getting worried for nothing. :)

By default, unless you have tweaked it, MSE will only look for updates each 24 hours. So, it all looks good if you consider that.

You can schedule a task, with Windows Task Scheduler, to look for and install updates automatically from X in X time, though. This way, you'll be sure MSE is always up-to-date.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

If all else fails, there is MSE Official Support. Tell them I sent you if you choose to use this support option.

Regards,

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Just so you all are aware other people were talking about this on MS Answers.

It is odd since despite the once/day auto checking, if you manually update there were usually two or more updates per day.

Since they seem to be so confident in their MAPS system it theoretically shouldn't matter.

9. Skip007

First off I want to thank ALL of you wonderful folks for helping me like this, it is so very nice to come here for the first time and be treated so kindly and so helpfully.

I checked the link for How to update and all of that and became a little confused on which to download as they said if you had a build of such and such a number to use another download, so here is what happened:
    I uninstalled MSE and downloaded the latest installer, this is all on DIAL-UP I might add, Yes we still exist dial-up users, so that done then the update, which took roughly 5 hours, then it did another auto-update MUCH quicker, LOL, SUCCESS!

So while I cannot figure out why it would not find the updates with the MSE I had previously the fix would seem a quick one for anyone with hi-speed internet connection.

Again thanks, I really do appreciate it.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I live in the UK & I noticed the very same thing when I checked MSE about 30 mins ago (10:15 am GMT). MSE claimed that it hadn't been updated for two days. I just manually updated.

Must be a gremlin.

11. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

According to the mods at MSE's forums it's normal for the program to go 2 or 3 days without updating.
    During that period if MSE detects something suspicious it will use the cloud to check against the latest definitions.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I manually updated yesterday as well. My 64 bit version is fine. I'm still going with gremlins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.