MSE ... Help Please!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zeena, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

MSE - Gone! .... Avast - Back!

Hi Vlk :)

You may have already noticed...
    I've Now Tried - Avast 5 :thumb:

Well...​
    I'm Back! ;)

And...
    Avast 5 - Rocks! :cool:

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Zeena, just for your interest, I noticed you mentioned using pctools firewall to see 'when network traffic' was going on.

A program which many gamers use, but would be just as beneficial to security minded people is the program cFosSpeed. It's a lifetime licence, small amount to pay.

Not only do you have continual monitoring of your downloads and uploads by the activity graph (above the computer clock), you can see the amount of data being uploaded and downloaded, and the number of connections at any moment. From 0 connections when you boot your computer up, to a couple of connections when windows updates and your AV is connecting, to many when your browser has several tabs open.

Best part is you can click next to the number, and see the connections, or
    check your total usage, downloads, uploads, combined, for any period.

Awesome program. And makes downloading and using multiple internet facing applications a breeze, much more consistent download speeds.

Many connections
    cfosspeed.png

Streaming youtube video
    cfosspeed 2.png

No connections
    cfosspeed no connections.png

List of connections (taken from softpedia - I'm assuming my IP would show otherwise :) ) - also shows time of each connection, important to know.
    cFosSpeed_1.png

Hey, there's my usage for last month. I must have went out on the 11th. lol ;)
    cfosspeed usage.png

3. Saraceno

Also, the program has basic firewall functionality and the ability to import IP lists to block.

cfosspeed firewall.png

All its features:
    http://www.cfos.de/speed/features_e.htm

For your interest, the skin I use (built in) is 'liquid crystal'. When browsing, the skin floats over other applications. See in browser on a white page. Double click on the cfosspeed icon makes the 'traffic indicator' disappear and reappear. Click on the green arrow, which shows I'm favouring 'ping' instead of 'bandwidth', and you can change between them (favouring ping is normally for gamers, but gives more consistency in your downloads, so I keep the green arrow on). Click on the blue squares to load up your connections/ip addresses/time with each connection and so on. Clicking on the 'blue squares' to see your connections is instant. Not like going into your firewall, clicking around, it opens straight away.

cfosspeed white.png

Those using only windows firewall might 'love' this program like I do. :-* :thumb:

The developers say it adjusts itself after a few days to a week (to improve downloads/ping/connection - if that's what you're after), so give it time to settle if you do use it (has a 30 day trial), and all settings can be left on default, it does its own thing.

Edit - reason I started using this program months ago was because a user here has it in his signature. Did a google, read how other users/gamers are using it, and thought, has so many more features than just for gamers. Eg, average joe wants to know what's connecting in and out, or wants to cap downloads at a certain limit for example, or monitor usage for the month.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

That is an awesome suggesion Saraceno! Thanks! :D

5. Saraceno

No problem, has a lot of other features. I tried the soptpedia beta edition, which works well.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/cFosSpeed.shtml

It has a list of built in programs you can prioritize for bandwidth (set from high to 'higher'), ranging from p2p, media applications, messaging to games.

But games aside, if you're into downloading files, and rather than seeing your internet grind to a halt, you're wanting to stream some videos etc, upload some photos to friends, then it could come in handy for traffic shaping.

For a security program, even though it's not geared for that, I like seeing what connects, for how long, and how much bandwidth each program is using. You'll come to notice also how much data each site you visit requires. You can then make more accurate decisions, such eg. program XYZ is connecting as soon as I boot up, and it's connecting for many minutes, that can be removed. Or, program ABC keeps connecting through the day, slowing me down. Or you can be re-assured, 'that's just svchost' connecting again.

I find I abort some sites when I notice several MB per second start downloading when nothing else is going on. eg. large advertisement or video might be loading.

Try 'liquid crystal' for the skin, and decide if ping/bandwidth suits you.
    But if you don't touch games, either the traffic monitor, internet usage (downloads/uploads/total), IP blocker settings, added firewall protection, or something (say as if you're on a network with friends) it has might suit you.

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Saraceno,

Nice find. What type of system impact have you seen (ram use, cpu use, etc.)? Also, is the traffic shaping really needed if you have QoS enabled in your router? Thanks.

7. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Saraceno :)

Wow! :cool:

Definately something to think about ;)

If for any reason I couldn't have my Firewall any more :(
    OR .. God Forbid!
    PC Tools ever decided to take away the animated Firewall icon :argh:

cFosSpeed .. Could be just the solution for me :thumb:

Thanks!

Zeena

8. Saraceno

Zeena, sorry for the thread hijack.

InfinityAz, I'm not too sure on that. I have QoS enabled on my router, and from a games perspective, I noticed my latency drop from 30 milliseconds to 15-20 in counter strike source (with addition of cfosspeed). I might uncheck QoS, and see what difference it makes in ping times.

Regarding memory, about 15mb, no cpu spikes.

Without tying up this thread of Zeena's, here are a link on Wilders.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236686 and a brief thread discussing here.

Someone more knowledgeable from one of the threads on Wilders may post.

9. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Saraceno :)

Don't Worry About It! :cool:

Zeena

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.