MSE; Does Anyone Still Use It?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Daveski17, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Problem Solved. Downloaded MS Update KB3092627. Full scan completes now.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...l/a6ea587c-b742-41f9-9db3-8d61b8cf7a7e?auth=1
    I'm going to have to look closer to these MS Updates, don't want Win 10 just yet if ever.

2. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

First of all - you seem to enjoy cutting parts of my post out and quoting my words out of context, so it looks like I said something completely different instead of what I actually said.

I'm going to ignore that.

Wilders are an grownup audience. People can instead scroll a little up on page 8 and read what I actually said in my own post just above yours.

Second, you keep saying that MSE/Defender relies on local signatures.

You must have completely missed that the cloud backend has been an integrated part for many, many years.

Official info here :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/09/22/microsoft-cloud-protection.aspx

And now it has had massive improvements during the last year that combined with the improvements in the last couple of clients as well as all the newly implemented monitoring in Windows 10, are resulting in the cloud being consulted even more.

Official info here :

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2327

And more official info here in the MMPC Threat Intelligence August 2015 report, about Windows Defender in Windows 10 :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48730&WT.mc_id=rss_windows_allproducts

Especially pay attention to page 8, about Defenders use of the cloud.

(I already posted those links earlier in this thread, but apparently you missed it)

3. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

I've been using Windows 10\Defender, with Win Patrol plus. System runs incredibly quick, no false positives. No bloat compared to other free AV's. I just go about my buisiness

4. Thx good/excellent scores on the widespread and prevalent malware discovered in the last 4 weeks. MSE's achilles was recent malware protection, good to see it improve (MSMRT leverages Microsoft's huge installed user base, but is by design a month behind). People with life time MBAM licences should be happy campers with the MSE + MBAM combo, assuming MBAM lives up to it's reputation of adding great protection againt recent malware.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  5. haakon

haakon Guest

Well, there I was in my several weeks long testing MSE vs WD in 7 and 10, two test systems side by side. No other anti-whatever in place, Safe Browsing disabled in no-extensions Mozilla browser, WFW on, SmartScreen off in 10. (Note: This discussion is not about MSE/WD run in conjunction with any other solution or one's personal notions thereof.)

Without a single exception over that time, both systems snagged whatever I opened from the usual bad-stuff sources.

But the other day, a link in malc0de stalled (spinning cursor) the 10 system for about two minutes after which the usual WD clean-up pop-up appeared announcing its success. (Two minutes on an E8400 system is sobering.) No outbound network activity for WD was observed or logged.

The same link on the 7 system, nothing.

Shrugging and continuing on, the 10 system continued to snag downloads while the 7 system, nothing. It was like MSE stopped working; the UI was green.

I have the browser set to D:\downloads and HMP found a Trojan in C:\users\username\downloads, ignored. An MSE scan of the directory failed to detect. (HMP reported the 10 system as clean.)

And in the Event Viewer, time stamped about 10 minutes previous:
    HRESULT:0x8004FF0A Description:Security Essentials is still installed on your computer.. Security Essentials was not removed from your computer. It will continue to monitor your computer and help protect it from potential threats. Error code:0x8004FF0A.

On the 7 system I uninstalled MSE, made sure the Defender service was disabled and rebooted. MBAM Threat Scan and HMP both detected the Trojan file only - no running processes, cleanups ignored.

I installed Bitdefender Free and it detected and cleaned the Trojan file during the install scan. I opened the same malc0de link and BD quarantined the download.

The time span from the MSE fail to the BD detection was about 25 minutes.

I rebooted the 10 system and WD again snagged the same threat.

Once highly skeptical of the "better in 10" raves, I can no longer conjecture otherwise.

Having no interest in 10, it will exist on my test system until something else gets my attention. In the meantime, until its EOL in 2020, 7 will be just fine on my primary third gen i7 desktop at which time I suppose I'll build a 12th gen Intel box and run whatever Windows is at that point. Not having the longevity/repairability of desktops, my laptop fate is... ??

6. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Did anyone else read that in the creepy HAL9000 voice?

Thanks for posting your test...which is more than what AV-* companies have done. ;)

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:D Ya know, I had the same thought while I was reading that article too. Also the unwanted Win10 upgrade updates being sent and re-sent to our older machines. :mad:

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Hehe, good one :)
    Some updates they've released could be labeled as spyware or adware.

12. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Win7 here. The Update button didn't work. It threw an error about my internet connection (0x80070422). Their help offers eight possible solutions such as make IE your default browser, rename SoftwareDistribution, and many others useless things.
    I gave up, and did an update from Ronjor's link
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx
    it was flawless. I suppose I can do that daily. What would be useful is to write some script to do it for me.
    Fiddling with tasks is something I'm afraid to try and anyway it'll likely fault my internet connection if it uses the same code as the Update button :(

13. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I leave it enabled on Win10 and use it in conjunction with MBAM PRO.

14. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Just did an upgrade to windows 10 on one of my machines, and then did a fresh install, and all went well. Going to keep Defender enabled on the windows 10 machine for now, but would like to have more than one update a day. Tried creating a task like I have done in Windows 7 before to get more updates per day, but that does not work for windows 10, at least not for me. Can anybody point me in the right direction, so I can get more than one update a day while using Defender in windows 10, so I don't have to manually update?

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There are instructions posted earlier in this thread to create a task to update WD / MSE.

16. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

17. snippits

snippits Registered Member

The only way I have got it to work on Windows 10 is to create a task, and update at logon. When it does the update logon, a command window pops up that covers most of my monitor screen, but it does update. Maybe I am doing something wrong with Windows 10. On the other hand, I easily got Defender/MSE to update with a created task while using Windows 7.

18. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thanks, I'll look at the link.
    Updating my Win7 adventure with MSE that I wrote in post#212 above:
    The Update button IS working after all.
    Windows update service and BITS service are disabled, always, except when I venture into a dangerous these days activity of doing M$ windows patches.

The only pain with using the Update button is that every update issues a new filename and I have to answer firewall's hips/behavior alerts. Avast was the same way issuing random filenames, yikes, it's inconvenient. But it works, so both the button or the Ronjor's method give me all I need, and using Ronjor's link always issues the same filename and no firewall alerts so in a way is more convenient.

19. anon

anon Registered Member

~ Removed Image - Already Linked Below ~

Microsoft 1125! :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/zemana-antimalware-2-beta.372569/page-51#post-2537296
    2. You may have an anti-virus installed on your PC and think that you are safe but looking at the screenshot below may change your idea. Below is the *DAILY* stats for infected PCs which have at least one AV installed.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachments/screenshot_102615_063602_pm-jpg.250302/

-------------------
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/zemana-antimalware-2-beta.372569/page-51#post-2537353

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  20. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Even the graph is interesting indeed there is one important part missing from it. Number of clients / AV. Because we all know that MS is way much popular than any other AV vendor so the result could be quite different if we would compare same number of clients.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

That graph means nothing to me.

It looks like Spybot S&D (?) protects better than Norton. Sorry, I don't think so.

22. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Precisely. Otherwise, everyone needs to switch to AhnLab!

23. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

Thank you, Anon.
    Very useful information.

That chart are simply bursting with valuable data.
    I didn't think you would be the one to publicly admit that Avira are such a failure.

With only 179 Avira users worldwide that also has ZAM installed - and the chart does not lie - clearly we can all see that each day there are 101 Avira+ZAM users suffering from an infection.

101/179 = 56,42.

That's crazy. An Avira failure rate of more then 56%

Thank you for presenting us with this informative data.
    I don't know how I would have survived without it.

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I make a point of disabling Windows Defender on all my computers, I was using a computer today on which I have recently done a clean install of Windows 10. I downloaded a program with Internet Explorer. After the download finished there was a delay of probably around 5 or so seconds while WD scanned the file, before the instaler launched. In my opinion that is excessive. After that, I installed 360 Total Security Essential and then downloaded the same file. With 360 installed there was no noticable delay.

This was on a Core i3 laptop with 4GB of RAM, and a clean install of Windows with only one or two 3rd party programs installed.

25. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Well said :thumb:
    Don't know why some people love so much to post attacks against products they don't like. You don't like it, well simply don't use it, but do not try to convince other people that product is bad.
    That chart is pretty useless imho. Look at iobit for example or Spybot S&D or AhnLab, I don't think they offer better protection than Avast or Eset as they look in the chart. They just have a smaller customer base.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.