MSE bug?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by m00nbl00d, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was running the EICAR test for something... and MSE obviously detected it and I decided to clean the "infection".

I'm using Chromium as my web browser, and it's forced to download files to a specific folder. This folder has no execution rights.

I was going to get some download stuff from there, when I noticed the EICAR file (eicar.com) was there. I scanned the file with MSE and then it removed it. But, its real-time protection failed to delete the "infection", when MSE gave the alert and I chose to clean.

Windows 7 Ultimate x86, by the way.

Could anyone confirm it? Somehow, I don't think this is its normal behavior? I don't know... it never detects infections. :blink:

2. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I'm using Chrome (not Chromium), but thought I'd test anyway.

MSE had no problems with the file (Also set to download to a specific directory), EXCEPT for the zipped versions. MSE would detect it, offer to clean, and then clean. However, the zip file would remain. I had to manually delete it.

As I said, the unzipped version was no problem.

For what it's worth...

3. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

This has been brought up before, if I remember correctly it was a known issue with Chrome because of the way it downloads files and skipping some API call, files may not be scanned straight away.

Either that or maybe you disabled a setting in MSE? I'm not too familiar with it to be honest. I just install and forget.

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

You need about 30 mcg/day of that (chromium)...good stuff!

5. m00nbl00d

No, I haven't disabled anything in MSE. I installed and forget it's there. :argh: The test wasn't aimed at MSE, but a Chrome extension (BitDefender TrafficLight).

I truly don't know if it has anything to do with any of my O.S or browser tweakings, hence the reason I decided to ask.

6. m00nbl00d

Interesting... Maybe it has to do with the way I have my O.S and browser set. :doubt:

Anyway... even if in case of a real infection MSE fails cleaning (something I download with Chromium)... upon execution (if such was/is allowed) it would act accordingly...

Interesting behavior, IMO...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.