MSE 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. reddice

reddice Registered Member

Well my old computer the one I gave to my grandmother blue screened the other day again (with the Nod32 AntiVirus) so I knew it was not MSE causing it but my mother did not believe me and said to buy a license for her which now was not needed. Please mods don't delete this for mentioning the other antivirus program.

I thought maybe because of the hard drive going bad because it blue screened last August and also use to lock up too so I bought a new Dell laptop in September. I decided to give my old PC to my grandmother in February and just get a new hard drive but now I see that it was a waste of money now that hard drives are so expensive. I will have to get hear a new computer because blue screens are just about impossible to fix and all she does on it is play Sol-suite and MahJong games so MSE was fine for her.

2. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

4. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Thanks for posting this. If I understand well, to scan only the incoming (write) files, I should:
    1. create the 5 registry keys
    2. disable BehavioralMonitoring, IntrusionPreventionSystem, IOAVProtection
    3. enable OnAccessProtection
    4. set ScanDirection to incoming only

can somebody confirm?

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well, i wanted to share my experience about MSE cleaning infections, which i had yesterday....
    I got this pendrive from my friend which was badly infected and mse detected 185 items.

All though it cleaned all the items and a subsequent scan by malwarebytes revealed nothing.....

MSE painstakingly took close to 20-25 minutes to clean all the items and i am not sure that such thing is normal with mse?

6. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Oh yeah that is quite normal for MSE I'm afraid. :gack:

7. Legendkiller

maybe then a replacement is in order...

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What difference does it matter how long it takes, so long as it gets the job done completely? Unless you're in the habit of loading malware infested pen drives every half hour... :)

9. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

MSE detection according to latest av-comparatives:
    heuristic: 77%
    behavioral protection: 0%
    on-demand: 93.1% (last place!)

that should be reason to reconsider MSE.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Main reason why i don't use MSE is because its freakin slow. If AV makes a noticeable drag on a Core i7 3,8GHz system with 6GB of RAM and speedy HDD, there is a serious problem.*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

There is no drag whatsoever irrespective of the various machines specs here . It just works well.

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I second that! :thumb:
    Microsoft needs to speed MSE up...;)

13. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Always though M$ had reasonable - nay - quite good removal .....of the malware it could find.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/mayjun-2012/

click the 'repair' tab.....[ 5.5 / 6.0 ]

So, would still use the M$ on demand scanner first, then
    follow up with the likes of the Kaspersky scanner.

just my thoughts..

have a good day

feandur

14. Legendkiller

@kerodo,

Hahaa, the problem is bro that you cannot wait for half-n-hour for the damn thing to clean up, when you are working.
    It may be ideal for home users who can may take a nap while mse does its cleaning.

15. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

First timer with MSE here. Totally loving it. It can't get any simpler than this.

16. zip

zip Registered Member

I use Online Armor with MSE. It adds a two way firewall, silent hips, anti-keylogger and a webshield. Great security. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  17. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yep, it's simple and runs really smooth on my machine. I use Sandboxie Paid as my 1st line of defense when online, so I don't need much else.

18. risl

risl Registered Member

I also noticed the same. Tried it and the slowdown was most noticeable for me when browsing. Especially when opening more than 3 tabs that are loading web pages simultaneously. Sometimes I need to open more than 10 pages at the same time and it is sluggish. Apparently when many things are happening at the same time, MSE can cause slowdowns or occasional freezes where I need to wait for my computer or web browser to "wake up" again. I also have a decent not more than a year old PC with no additional security software. I'm talking about basic MSE+W7 FW combination.

I thought it would be lighter than Dr.Web which I have used for many years. My thinking was that using a minimalistic 1st party software would be easy on resources but I was wrong. Maybe they will update and fix this, but seeing some threads from 2010 where people complain about the same issues isn't very couraging.

19. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I have experienced occasionally the same slowdown, but upon closer inspection it happened only when I also had uTorrent running. Inserting uTorrent.exe in the Excluded processes resolved the issue.
    Possibly the same situation happens with other programs.

20. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Don't see the slowdown here...pretty smooth.:thumb:

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, it's very light here too. As usual, things will always vary from machine to machine, that's how it goes.... Use what works on your setup.

22. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Same here, no slowness. And I'm running it on a VERY old P4 system with 1gb RAM. XP's built-in FW on.

23. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:
    Pentium III, 512meg RAM, XP-Pro-SP3, Kerio 2.1.5 firewall.
    No slowdowns. Works silently. Excellent for families with kids who wouldn't know what to do with questions or alerts.
    Surprisingly higher memory use than Avast! used. Almost double. I replaced Avast by MSE v4 out of curiosity.
    Not happy that Windows update service has to run, and svchost is involved in all that. Normally, here, neither is allowed out except on the day of patches.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  24. zip

zip Registered Member

I don't have any slowdown with MSE and Online Armor combo. :D

25. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

What version of MSE is included in Win 8?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.