ms windows update v4 software release today

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pretender, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well at least your one problem is fixed. :)

This reoccurring problem with the Q328970 critical update is probably not a WindowsUpdate issue, but an issue with that particular update. I should mention, however, that the update has installed correctly on all of my systems. :doubt:

Hopefully we'll get this fixed for you soon.

Regards,

-Javacool

2. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

"But, after restarting my system and going to "Help" in the IE explorer menu bar and clicking on "About Internet Explorer"........I found that the Q328970 was not shown after the "SP1". "

Does your Windows ME system show what I've been looking for above? "Q328970" after "SP1" in "About Internet Explorer"?

3. Pretender

FYI. I don't know if I ever let anyone in about what was happening when I placed the "s" after "http". I had someone tell me that it's the "Secure Server". Why this is any different than the usual site is a mystery to me. Hope that doesn't mean that the usual server is "insecure".

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Because of how Microsoft's servers are set up, you can put an "s" after the "http" (making it "https://") and it will connect you with 128-bit encryption, usually used for log-ins or shopping sites.

The usual "http://" doesn't give you this 128-bit encryption for all data (however, I don't believe they meant to give you that option).

Regards,

-Javacool

5. Pretender

When I go to "Help" in the menu bar and "About internet explorer" it shows under "Cipher Strengh" that I have "128-bit"?

Sorry, but need to know. Going the same route as above.....do you show "Q328970" after "SP1"?

2nd....Should "SelfupdateStatus" have been shown again after following the steps you gave me previously here?

Attached Files:

6. Pretender

I figured (in my spare time working with windows update problems) that I would go to add/remove programs and see if anything turned up now when I chose the repair option for IE. Much to my surprise.....the following showed up, but (even though I'd like to get the most recent versions of these files)..........I'm unable to locate any of them at Webattack or Microsoft downloads that are greater versions than what I already haveo_O

Attached Files:

7. controler

controler Guest

I have version 1106 and would be happy to send them if needed :D

8. Pretender

This is a follow-up post to my #30 post and screen shot.
    I located 10 of these files which were version 6.0.2800.1106 by going to my "windows update folder" and extracting from compressed folders. I haven't done anything with these 10 files yet. I thought it was strange that all folders in the "windows update folder" were compressed except for:
    filelist.dat, ie6setup.exe, iesetup.ini, iesetup.dir, and a "this folder safe to delete.txt". In case you didn't get the screen shot...here is the list of files I still need versions of greater than 6.0.2800.1100:
    IEPEERS.DLL
    IMGUTIL.DLL
    MLANG.DLL
    MSHTML.DLL
    MSHTML.TLB
    MSHTMLED.DLL
    SHDOCLC.DLL
    SHODOCVW.DLL
    SHFOLDER.DLL
    SHLWAPI.DLL
    Here is a list of the files I found in the compressed folders that are 6.0.2800.1106:
    ACTXPRXY.DLL
    ADVPACK.DLL
    BROWSELC.DLL
    BROWSEUI.DLL
    DIGEST.DLL
    INSENG.DLL
    URLMON.DLL
    WININET.DLL
    WEBCHECK.DLL
    PNGFILT.DLL

Any insights? I'm kind of at a loss at the moment.

Attached Files:

• duh.jpg
      duh.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
  9. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Pretender,

Did you ever install IE6 Service Pack 1 back in September?
    That should have upgraded IE to 6.0.2800.1106 ....
    If you had installed Windows XP Service Pack 1 you would already have it, so you must not have done that (and many aren't). But the IE6 Service Pack will take care of you.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/download.asp

John
    Luv2BSecure

10. Pretender

I have Windows ME, but anyhow..........I have what is supposed to IE6 SP1 and it will not repair itself because of the versions of the files and I attempted to reinstall and am told that I have the most recent version of IE6 SP1. I made a typo in the previous message. I have located 10 of these files in compressed folders which are version 6.0.2800.1106. I'm wondering if IE6 SP1 flawed in the original download because of these files sitting in compressed folders and because the current versions of these 20 files are versions <6.0.2800.1100 which are being used actively at the moment. Would you have any idea what happens if one goes to control panel, add/remove programs, chooses "microsoft internet explorer 6 SP1 and internet tools" clkd on the add/remove button and got the dialog box up and chose "restore the previous windows configuration". Anyone have any experience with this?

11. Pretender

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    I got windows update to work for me finally. I feel as if I ought to be stingy, but.......... Basically, I downloaded IE6 SP1 to my desktop (even though I had IE6 SP1 already installed previously). I had had a problem popping up which said that 20 files (which on mine were 19 .dll's and one .tlb file had version problems) needed to be updated, but I was unable to update them because of SFP on Windows ME (they were system files in use). So I 2xclkd the IE6setup.exe file on my desktop, chose custom install, and clkd on the box preceding IE6 (even though everything indicated that I had all of the most recent files on my system already when I did this step). It took off from there and apparently updated the 20 old files (which must have been a flaw in the IE6 SP1 original download/install that I had done). Then I 2xclkd the Q328970.exe file on my desktop (previously downloaded) and it installed, computer restarted, 2xclkd the Q324929.exe file on my desktop (previously downloaded), computer restarted, went back on internet and checked. Both Q328970 and Q324929 show up at internet explorer, help, about internet explorer as update versions.

12. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Pretender - Good going! I thought that could have been the problem. I'm sorry I never saw your response back on the 9th or whatever. But just so you'll know, using the add/remove tool to "restore the previous windows configuration" would take you back to 5.5 or 5.02 or whatever you were using prior to 6.0. This works with all 9x/ME/NT/2000 operating systems - it will not work if one is using Windows XP.

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. Pretender

Thanks luv2bsecure, but, oddly, I had tried that before and did take it back, but when I did a download of the IE6 SP1 setup files and installed ............... all the old version number files popped up again. Do appreciate your trying to educate me, I just happen to have gone that route a couple weeks ago. Can't, or didn't, figure out why it didn't work just as well as the above procedure, but.............

Here's a little more detail on the how to do part:

The following pertains to IE6 SP1 on a Windows ME system (but could work with other operating systems as well):

There are certain files which apparently didn’t update properly on my first download/install of IE6 SP1 (which I had done a long time ago). I came across the files in an error message while attempting to get windows update to work. You need to check these files and make sure that the version number is greater than 6.0.2800.1100. If they aren’t then the following procedure should update them to the correct versions. Find them by doing an individual search in windows explorer, right click on the file, click on properties and, then, the version tab.

DLL are the .dll files

ACTXPRXY.dll, ADVPACK.dll, BROWSELC.dll, BROWSEUI.dll, DIGEST.dll, IEPEERS.dll, IMGUTIL.dll, INSENG.tll, MLANG.dll, MSHTML.dll, MSHTML.tlb, MSHTMLED.dll, SHDOCLC.dll, SHDOCVW.dll, SHFOLDER.dll, SHLWAPI.dll, URLMON.dll, WININET.dll, PNGFILT.dll. webcheck.dll also showed in the error message, but (after using the following procedure and checking to see if it updated) it shows 6.0.2600.0 as it’s version number.

Download IE6 SP1 to desktop (even if you have IE6 SP1 already installed). Go offline and double click the IE6setup.exe file on desktop, choose custom install and click on the box preceding IE6 (which will put a check mark in it). Click on OK button or install button and it should update the 20 old files (which must have been a flaw in the IE6 SP1 original download/install that I had done). Then download Q328970.exe to your desktop and go offline and double click the Q328970.exe file on your desktop to install it, restart computer. Then download the Q324929.exe file to your desktop and go offline and double click the Q324929.exe file on your desktop to install it, restart computer. Go back on the internet and check. Both Q328970 and Q324929 should show up (after SP1) at internet explorer, help (on menu bar), about internet explorer, after update versions. Run windows update and see if it works okay.

Q328970 and Q324929 updates are for Windows me using IE6 SP1. These would be substituted with the appropriate critical updates which pertain to the system and IE version you use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.