MS still pushing IE9 in updates!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, that's all very well & good. IE 9 seems quite fast on my Win 7 desktop. I'm sure it's wonderful for those that like it. I personally don't care much for it.

IE 9 installed on both Vista machines & worked perfectly well. What I discovered was that on my notebook (which only has a Gig of RAM) some of my desktop shortcut icons disappeared & the calendar gadget (sidebar) wouldn't work properly. I assumed it was because it was something to do with my platform.

Yet, when I tried to update to IE 9 on a much more powerful laptop I discovered that exactly the same thing happened, but to a slightly lesser extent. The desktop icons were OK, but sometimes the sidebar was affected, notably, the calendar & the sidebar slide show (the computer has multiple user accounts). It seemed to be less of a problem than with my own notebook, but it was there nonetheless.

This CAN NOT be a coincidence & I cannot accept that other people have not had the same problem.

I have seen this now on two separate computers, one of them not even being owned by me!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Daveski17

What I would really like to know is if anyone actually uses Vista HP (32 bit) with IE 9 installed & is using desktop gadgets?

On my notebook I have the clock, two regional weather, the CPU/RAM dial & the calendar. My relative's laptop has more or less the same but with variations on the other user accounts. Principally the small slideshow gadget on a user account.

Only the sidebar was affected on the Toshiba machine, whereas on my notebook several desktop shortcuts were affected.

The calendar after booting up will display a strange white background & the dates won't appear as you flip between month/day mode. Usually it will just portray a blank orange square in day-mode. On the Toshiba deleting the gadget & then opening it again (from sidebar control) will 'repair' it (until the account is reopened). The Slideshow fails to run but deleting/re-running will temporarily fix it, until the computer is turned on again, that is.

I am fairly convinced that this is some RAM problem, as Vista is renowned to be RAM hungry even compared to Win 7. I also know that IE is connected to the sidebar in some way.

As I have stated before, I could understand if it was a quirk of my underpowered notebook, but on a separate, relatively powerful computer,
    that I don't actually own & isn't even in my house (effectively ruling out any WiFi/router/ISP connectivity problem) I cannot believe that no one else on the planet has not had this problem. :eek:

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i installed IE9 a few times and i found the problem-free to install it, in my case, is to disable UAC for the install.

4. Daveski17

OK, that's interesting. I found that it installed with no particular problems though, just with Vista I have had the problems I have described earlier after installing. The browser itself seemed to work well.

It's a bit of a mystery. I am still fairly convinced it's a RAM problem with Vista.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From memory, you are running Vista on 1 GB RAM. It is well known that this amount is too little for Vista (barely enough to browse). If that's the case why don't you upgrade to 2GB, it is after all relatively cheap nowadays. I have activated my sidebar and it seems fine with IE9.

6. Daveski17

Well, firstly, I am not sure how I can upgrade my three year old Belnea o.book 3 as the company that manufactured it doesn't actually exist any more.

Secondly, it doesn't explain why my relative's Toshiba with 2GB of RAM also suffers from the same problem, but to a slightly lesser extent.

I must stress incidentally, that the clock & the weather widgets seem to work fine, it is the slide show & the calendar that won't function correctly on both machines (shortcut desktop icons disappeared on the Belnea).

Interestingly, my notebook doesn't do too badly with a fast browser (Iron/Chrome, Firefox etc). It is certainly functional for general surfing & things like watching the BBC iPlayer.

Anyway, I certainly don't miss IE 9, I never use it on my Win 7 machine.

As I have said before, I just can't believe that no one else has had this problem.

I can understand it on my notebook, but not a 17 inch Toshiba Equium laptop with 2 GB of RAM.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Isn't 2GB a bare minimum for Vista Home Premium, if that's what it's called?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, it's officially 1 GB.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Too much ram never hurt a thing and probably won't in the future. ;)

10. Daveski17

@ Ronjor: Almost certainly! You can never have too much power.

I have been perusing the MS forums & I may have found a link. My notebook used to run McAfee as an AV. I now use MSE. My relative's computer runs McAfee now. Some people have had sidebar issues after uninstalling McAfee on Vista apparently. AFAIK I uninstalled McAfee correctly & ran the McAfee uninstallation tool. It seemed to go fine.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the reason, but it is some sort of link, if a tenuous one at that.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think that's much more likely than IE9 messing with your sidebar..... :)

12. Daveski17

It is a distinct possibility, but MSE runs well on my notebook. I even ran the McAfee uninstall tool twice, just to make sure. From what I can gather though, a few people have reported problems with the sidebar calendar, whether they are running McAfee or not. It may be a (rare) bug.

The funny thing is, is that I never had any problems with McAfee, well, apart from it being so bloated.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Still my correction was necessary, because misinformation never helps. In fact, if you turn off Aero and some other services, Vista can run on even lower RAM, like 512.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A correction is necessary when false information is stated as fact. Since my post consisted of a question a clarification would be more appropriate.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  15. BenMar522

BenMar522 Registered Member

I felt the same as you but after hiding the update a couple of times, I just let it do its thing and update. No matter, as I never use Internet Explorer.

BenMar

16. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

IE9 has potentials. You just have to realize it,

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Never heard of Vista running on 512MB of RAM. I honestly don't believe it. Tiny 7 doesn't even run on that little -- I believe it's recommended at least 768 MB.

18. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

It can run on a 512 Ram but with the help of ready boost

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It is possible, unless you got no Page File.

20. Daveski17

Unfortunately, this is not a case of a choice for me. I am a bit concerned that McAfee may be responsible for the problems I have seen on two computers. IE 9 works perfectly well on my Win 7 desktop which has only ever ran Microsoft Security Essentials.

21. Daveski17

So did the Edsel, the DeLorean & the Jensen FF. Where are they now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.