MS Print .xps to PDF format

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I accessed a government website that provided a set of instructions for an application that I need to submit. The instruction guide is several pages long and it looks to be in PDF format, but the website does not offer it as such for printing. The instructions are step by step and very specific so I really need a hardcopy. I chose to 'print it' and the only appl. offered by W7 was Microsoft's .XPS format. I do have Foxit Reader 5.1 installed, but it was not offered.

The MS .xps print turned out to be just perfect for referencing when I am not online, but unfortunately I can not make a hardcopy which is what I really need. My printer is old and W7 drivers do not exist for it. It is supported on my Ubuntu laptop (used to be an XP system but no longer). I have printed several PDF formatted docs using Document Viewer on Ubuntu. I copy docs to a CD & this works for me.

Is there a way to convert the .xps document to PDF format?
    If so, what do I need to do this?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Link?

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Just install a PDF printer and print the webpage to PDF. Or, copy-paste the text content to a Word or .TXT document.

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Robin A. I think I will install a PDF Printer.
    I checked Gizmo for a free PDF printer and got Bullzip (though there was a lot of 'does not work for me' responses (seems to need some additional software to work). I see PDF995 and DoPDF were recommended. Before I go ahead with a selection/install, do you have a recommendation?

P.S. I use Chrome and have FF installed. An extension maybe?

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Some PDF printers require the software package "Ghostcript" to operate. Sometimes it is bundled with the printer, sometimes it must be downloaded and installed separately.

To keep things simple, it´s better to use a printer driver that doesn´t require GS, especially for occasional use.

I think doPDF is good. I regularly use pdfFactory Pro, which is not free.

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx, much appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.