MS may be adding a live and anonymous chat feature to Bing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Agreed. :thumb:

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

It could be misused to guide people into downloading malware. But other than that, I don't see a problem with MS giving something new a try.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Oh yes, I do so fear technology and think everything that doesn't run on steam is "them darned kids and their forward thinking ways will destroy us all!" terrible :rolleyes: You really don't have much sense, do you? I'm against it because it's a complete waste of time and money for a company that should be putting both towards more fruitful things and fixing problems elsewhere. You know, like Bing being the Google+ of search? Will humans make it a terrible service? That completely depends on how MS decides to make this thing run. I've already stated how I believe the best case and worse case scenarios might play out. For you to turn my opinions into some tech-hating, anti-social dimwitted rant, is simply showing you to be naive and completely missing the point.

If their attempt at this is to be more "social", they're even more clueless. Anyway, I don't get my s***s and giggles attacking you, but your attitude towards people who disagree with you is getting old very quickly.

4. guest

guest Guest

Not sure about that, but I want to try it so I can give a solid opinion. It probably would be fun to talk with some random people with the same interest in real-time. *puppy*

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Eh, again it totally depends on how it's implemented. It could be, sure, just like any chat room has its share of spammers, bots and all that. It just depends on if it's a "chat room", which from the screenshots it does. I could see that going to hell in a hand basket in a hurry.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Re: Microsoft adding a live [anonymous] chat feature to Bing.com?

It gives Microsoft et al. more information to datamine.

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Re: Microsoft adding a live [anonymous] chat feature to Bing.com?

Probably, and that may be a good thing. Not every information or data or communication is sensitive and/or needs to stay private. Think about your posts in this forum, for example.

Also, you have the choice of not taking part of the conversations.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Trust me...I already have.

As for comparisons to chat rooms, I beg to differ. While there's the "chat" element, not everyone will use the same search terms at the same time. Not everyone will join in the chat. Popular search terms will of course generate higher potential of having people chatting on the same subject but generally, people will look at other means for longer discussions.

Of course, the issue of spam and links to NSFW material are valid and something to tackle. However, if you look at it relative to the context, we need to be fair and not throw things out of proportion. Just look at blogs and video sites like Youtube. They have user comments. Those too have spam and unsafe links. Yet, we make a compromise because the benefits arising from social interaction there outweighs the ugly side of the story. You don't even have to make a comment but you can read others comments which can be interesting or worthy of insight. Trolls are a by-product so one has to swallow that fact...

All I'm saying is that things like this always bring both good and bad. As it is, all those things that "can go wrong" can already happen without this feature. I'm not saying that makes it fine. I'm saying as long as it's optional, I've nothing against it. Call me wrong. Call me nuts. I'm just looking at it in a more positive manner because I see value in such a feature. In fact, if it's implemented well, I can see myself using it at times. I would not want to be chatting while I search all of the time but I like having the option to.

When it becomes mandatory or forced upon people's throat, then perhaps I'll share your views. Then again, one always have the choice of not using Bing. Google is always there as a "friend" they say :p

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

@Safeguy: The more I think about the service, the more I look at it like what you'd have on Twitter. You know, the "trending now" thing. I'm still not at all sold on this being an overall good idea or worth the money that will be put into it. Maybe MS is starting up a "Google Labs" of their own :D

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Or MS are collectively off their meds ...

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

These tech giants are really innovating these days.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, that too, lol. We must remember who the head guy is up there. Jokes aside, MS has started taking a lot of stuff out of the Google playbook when it comes to data.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's difficult to forget these days LOL.

This can't be a good thing. :eek:

Either way, this recent madness from MS is still just a gimmick IMO, & very probably will fail for all of the reasons discussed above. I just don't know what's getting into MS these days. o_O

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

They're doing what they see everyone else doing, but, like always, they're late to the party. It may not be much longer before choosing MS services over Google services for privacy reasons will be a much harder choice to make. This particular feature I don't see going anywhere. There's just no true benefit to it. I don't know, people have surprised me before.

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

LOL. Love it or hate it but Twitter is known and being used right now.:p

I don't know if it's worth the money. Honest. Yet, Bing needs something to gain market share where Google seems to lead. If MS can pull this off and somehow attract people over (like you said, people can surprise you), chances are it's a relatively good investment. If it fails, well...it's their loss. Wouldn't it be fun to see 1 more reason to hate MS...you know, the more the merrier.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Oh I don't hate Twitter near as much as I hate Facebook, but that's more to do with how they treat data than anything else. Twitter is nowhere near as bad about siphoning data whether you like it or not, as Facebook and Google is.

Actually, I think the MS hate is ridiculous. I am not now and never have been a fan of Ballmer, and I also think many recent moves haven't been for the best. But to hate MS just for being MS is just stupid to me. On topic, I would much prefer they concentrated on making Bing better than Google search, without resorting to social experiments like this seems to be. I often find Bing to be more relevant than Google searches, so that's a decent start. I think Bing, in their attempt to make it better and give more information, has just gotten too cluttered.

17. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Anonymous, to whom ? Not MS or the 3 letter etc agencies, i guarantee :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.