MS Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twodogs44, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Is it possible to remove Internet Explorer from my computer and have it NOT cause any problems? I am presently running Firefox and wish to stay with it.

Question/problem 2. While on the internet and I wish to send an email to a person on that site (any), my machine stops and MS IE raises it ugly head and loads about 68 pages on my machine and tells me that my Default E-mail address is not setup correctly. Yet the email works fine.

What is up?

Thanks!

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

It sounds like you have a malware infection.
    Run SAS and Dr.Web CureIt!, and see if they find anything.
    Also, you can post a HiJackThis log on any forum named here.

As far as uninstalling IE, I don't think that's possible. Maybe if you nLite you windows installation CD and start from scratch... But without IE you can't update windows.

Good luck!

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You can remove IE using XPlite (shareware) or you can use nLite (freeware) to a build a new XP cd without IE.

Using nLite, remember to only remove Internet Explorer. Removing the Internet Explorer core can cause problems.

BTW if you remove Internet Explorer, you can still use IE-based browsers or IEtab extension (Firefox), so visiting Windows Update should be no problem. Also Automatic Updates should still work so you can get updates that way too.

********************************************************************************

As for your second question, HURST provided some good advice.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

AFAIK, IETab doesn't work on the last version of FF (at least not in my case)

@WSFUser:

Have you tried visiting Windows Update with and alternative IE based browser?
    When I had IETab I couldn't use it....

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

No since I dont use Windows Update.

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi twodogs44 & welcome to Wilders, :)
    Possible yes, but you could simply not use it, unless for windows updates. :cool:
    My guess is that your email client isn't set as default, so IE goes into a loop by opening many pages. I've experienced this too in the past when installing another email client.
    First try to set your email client as default and if that doesn't work, set it up in IE under Options > Programs.
    Once your default is set, your email client will open a new message when pressing a mailto link. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.