MS Antispyware update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by A884126, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

I just installed the Beta version from MS and I realized that it does not actually installed the new definitions it downloads.
    It says it does but when I do a new update check I end up on the same definition number to download...

Does anyone face the same issue?

Thanks for your help.

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

My Giant AS (same database as MS Antispyware) was doing that yesterday (28-May-05). It kept downloading ruleset 5721 even though it already had 5721. This is not occurring today on my system. It says I have the most recent ruleset which is 5721.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have noticed that in the past before as well. Did you try giving your pc a reboot and then trying to update again?

After all, it is windows we are talking about. :p

Jag

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No problems here. I check every day.

5. A884126

Yes.

Same thing here today even if it says in the System Summary that I have the 5721 definition. Why keep downloading it then?!

I guess that will explain the why it is acting strangely...

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Same problem here plus it also detects its own program as RAT.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    This might be a long one, but check this out:
    This happened to me several times, but I think it's related to some weird things:
    I play online games that require punkbuster anti-cheat system. Well, on one machine, everything worked smoothly until I decided to format and make a fresh clean install of xp. After the format and installation of a variety of good programs, including anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware etc... I also installed the game I like to play (America's Army). Since then, every time I join a server and punkbuster updates, I can play for as long as I remain on a server. If I leave a server, I cannot join again. I must reboot. And upon reboot, I get some ghost hardware device labeled something like eefg5643 installed!!!!
    I can resume playing only after I remove the device.
    How does Microsoft Anti-Spyware figure in this story?
    Well, if I do not SHUT IT DOWN before I play, next time I try to update its database following the series of gaming, reboots and device uninstallation, I get the update of the same data base over and over.
    I found three ways of solving this problem:
    1) Installation of Age of Mythology after this fault is discovered will probably fix some dlls or whatever and MAS will update again. Don't ask me how I figured this!!
    2) Shutting down MAS before running game with punkbuster. Could be several other applications that cause this, in the cause of other posters. Please check if you have registry monitoring applications that are in active use and update during your work (a la punkbuster).
    3) Doing nothing, waiting a few days and everything goes back to normal.
    Crazy?
    Mrk

8. A884126

True, things went back to normal today. Let's forgive MS as this is a Beta release...

Thanks all for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.