MRU Blaster released

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'm assuming you have Windows 95, 98, or ME.

To prevent MRU-Blaster for clearing window placements and folder settings, uncheck the "Stream MRU" option in the Settings screen - it will no longer scan or clean the Stream MRUs (which can contain this data).

As for your History clearing out - that was not caused by MRU-Blaster, but unchecking the item above should alleviate all of your problems. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

2. Richard

Richard Registered Member

Just like to know why MRU Blaster resets Folders from individual formatted to default windows settings. I have been told that this depends on setup. Why would you need to tell MRU to ignore screen display settings?

3. javacool

The same area that can store window placement settings can also store data on what programs and/or files you have recently accessed/saved/opened/etc.

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Quote from javacool post:

MRU-Blaster has been updated.

Latest database : 12/20/02 - approx. 12,401 MRU items in detection database

Various compatibility issues with certain system configurations were also fixed. (Namely, the problem mentioned above should now be gone.)

Download it from here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/mrublaster.html

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. javacool

Latest database update: 1/9/03 and v1.5 of MRU-Blaster

NEW MRU-Blaster integrated plug-ins provide support for additional on-disk cleaning tasks! Included are:

-CookieBlaster (clean cookies except those you add to an exclude list)

-IE Temporary Internet Files Cleaner

With even more in development! All plug-ins provide secure file deletion, and both of the above plug-ins also clean the associated index.dat files that are locked during normal Windows usage (with secure file wiping). Enhance the protection of your privacy! (Of course, plug-in usage is completely optional and they are disable by default - minimal configuration is needed.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Javacool,

Great additions ! Love them ;)

7. Privacy

Privacy Registered Member

Hi javacool, another great Blaster program! I have one question/request, would it be possible for the index.dat deletion tool to be seperate to the TIF cleaner? I understand there are many people who use both, so even an option to use one or the other would be great, as I would rather clean the index.dat file, and leave TIF intact.

I usually run SpyBot once or twice a day and lately it's only been finding MRUs, this application is going to save me alot of time! Thanks! :D

8. imadreamer2

imadreamer2 Registered Member

After installing the updated mru blaster, i clicked on the pluggins. set the cookies to ignore, checked the bloxes that said run cookie and temp int when mru blaster is run. Did the scan clicked to clean, and after clean the ietemp block came on the screen and just sat there for fifteen minutes or so. I finally ctl, alt, del it and pulled up the windows explorer. Neither cookies nor temp files are gone. It aut detects windows/temp internet files and won't let me set it to add the /content.ie5. I tried clicking the 2x scan for temp ie and not clicking it. Both ways it didn't clear anything. So what else didn't I do?

9. javacool

It displays the general path to the Temporary Internet Files - on cleaning, it enumerates the Content.IE5 and underlying folders automatically (this all should happen in the background).

If you have a large number of folders and files in your Temporary Internet Files, it might be best to use the Internet Tools "clean temporary internet files" option, and then schedule MRU-Blaster to scan at time intervals (that way it cleans much smaller amounts). If you have over 1 GB of Temporary Internet Files currently, this method is recommended (unless you just want to wait a little while), although it still shouldn't hang for that long...

If you have thousands and thousands of cookies on your ignore list, that may actually be your problem - try disabling the CookieBlaster feature if the suggestions above do not work.

Out of curiousity, what version of Windows do you have?

TIA.

-Javacool

P.S. I should note that if you browse in Windows Explorer to your Temporary Internet Files folder (general, not the Content.IE5 hidden folder) you will still see many items in it after an MRU-Blaster cleaning. After a reboot, the index.dat file will be cleared (which can contain these links) and those items should disappear. Also, depending on your version of Windows and version of IE, you may see your cookies in your Temporary Internet Files folder - this is just a strange quirk of Windows: they aren't actually stored anywhere in or under Temporary Internet Files, but it displays them and links to them as if they are.

10. Privacy

Privacy Registered Member

Just a quick question, javacool, how would one update MRU-Blaster whenever there are any updates? I don't see a "Search for Updates" button, like SpywareBlaster has, anywhere in the program. o_O

11. javacool

Currently, you have to download the latest installer package from the MRU-Blaster webpage. However, you can install it directly over your old version and it will update the files. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

12. imadreamer2

imadreamer2 Registered Member

I am running win98 first edition with all patches and updates expect maybe a couple that don't fit my system, at any rate I have all ms says I need except of course ie6, which i did try but ended up having to reformat and reinstall cause this system is too old for ie6. I am running IE 5.50.4807.2300 with sp2, q321232, q313829, q323759, q328380, q328970, q324929,

I only had a few maybe 15 files in temp inter folder, and only 8 or 10 cookies. At the time I had the 4 marked for ignore and there were maybe 8 or 10 cookes showing. My index.dat never really gets bigger than 32kb and i don't remember what i did to keep the setting there. After a deltree in dos it does go down to 16kb and i know that is start size.

I clean temp internet files daily using internet sweeper and yes sometimes using internet tools and sometimes deltree in dos but had Internet Sweeper turned it off to see how the new features in mru blaster worked. Course spybot s & d gets a lot of mru's, but mru gets the ones it misses.

Maybe i overkill, cause I run spybot and mru daily as well as internet sweeper actually deletes the temp internet files when i close browser. Yep I even use the spyware blaster.

13. DVM100

DVM100 Guest

New:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\PublishingWizard\AddNetPlace\LocationMRU

May Already be in database but not clearning subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs

Is work still continuing on MRU Blaster?

14. javacool

Yes, work is still continuing on MRU-Blaster (including further database updates and new program versions).

Thanks for reporting those MRUs! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. DVM100

DVM100 Guest

Good to hear. :)

Will clearing of IE history be added as an option in the next release?

Some more MRUs:

Subkeys not cleared -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU

Standard Keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Dependency Walker\Recent File List

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Page List

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Web List

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\ReplaceMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Ftp\Accounts

(Holds past details of FTP logins. Good optional item to clear?)

16. javacool

In the next version release, yes (hopefully).

Would you be able to export the registry keys under "Standard Keys" above (including all values) and send them to press@wilderssecurity.net ? I'll be able to add them more quickly to MRU-Blaster if you can do so. :)

(For example, it would be useful to know what type of items are under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Page List .... i.e. "Page1", "Page2", etc.?)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

-Javacool

17. DVM100

DVM100 Guest

Sure thing, ill do it tomorrow (Sunday)

18. mguhin

mguhin Registered Member

How Can I Keep My IE History?

o_O I think I have a need opposite to most expressed here. Is there a way to adjust settings on MRU-B so I can preserve my IE history? I never realized how much I used it until it wasn't there any more. Otherwise I think MRU-B and SpywareGuard are great products, and I am very pleased to have them. Thank you in advance.

19. javacool

Re:How Can I Keep My IE History?

MRU-Blaster doesn't clean the Internet Explorer History. Perhaps you are referring to the Internet Explorer Typed URLs? If so, just uncheck that box in the Settings area. (If not, please let me know. :))

Best regards,

-Javacool

20. squalene

squalene Guest

Is there a way to completely update the system.dat and user.dat (or equivalent in NT/2K/XP).Many of the older, but uninstalled, program entries still exist in this two system-protected files.

K U D O S! for writing two fabulous programs MRU- and ID-blaster

21. SuperP

SuperP Registered Member

MRU Blaster looks very interesting to me. If it is anywhere near as good as its stablemates (S-B and S-G) that I have installed and working well, it would be a must for all who find MRU lists threatening. I asked my trusted advisor about it, telling him I was about to install MRU Blaster, and he said this:

'If we were significant companies the MRU could be used to readily list and/or find files that were recently opened and used and therefore expose current work.

In the private environment - who cares? So what if a spyware passes this on? On a permanent basis this is a privacy problem - temporarily again who cares ? I would be more interested if they tracked my times on computer, surfing habits, passwords, credit card info, services that are signed up, or files are flagged continuously.'

This comes across as too negative to me. I'm sure there are features of MRU-B that neither of us know about. There are probably arguments that would blow his comments apart. But I value this person's advice, so I would love to hear from those who know. If S-B and S-G are working, what are the reasons a private user would need MRU-B? Perplexed... :doubt: o_O

22. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

With the pervasiveness of spyware, and trojan horses, and the damage they can do, why would anyone in either the public or private sector intentionally want to leave something on his PC that would make it easier to track him? I'm sure if the Government made it manditory to have tracking devices implanted under everyones skin, not too many people would go for that. And if it did happen, I'm sure you would want to do everything possible to remove it.

23. SuperP

SuperP Registered Member

Thank you beetlejuice. I do not disagree with the thrust of your message. However, I would still like to hear a reply to my last question which I will rephrase: What defensive functions does MRU Blaster actually perform if Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard are working effectively?

24. chris18

chris18 Registered Member

Re:MRU Blaster released
    « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 01:57:39 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just come across this thread having recently installed MRU Blaster and still trying to work out how to set it up properly.

Like Pieter I'd like to keep the dynamic list that's created in Start menu (I think this is what he is referring to) as I find this useful but at the moment this is empty.

I've looked at your suggestion but can't find an entry for "Windows Explorer - Run Dialog MRU".

Can you help please?

Thanks

PS Another great piece of software, I'm already running SpywareBlaster & SpywareGuard.

25. toprail

toprail Guest

Bug in wiping file names?

Wondering why the IE wiping does not delete the names of files, but rather its contents are wiped? Yes, the file size is set to zero, but file names are left unwiped? Is this a bug in the program?

Yes, I also want to know like previous author how to reset the system.dat and user.dat or euqivalent in NT/2K/XP. Many a times the system.dat and user.dat still maintains the last good condition registry (before startup).

Thanks for excellent work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.