MRU Blaster released

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Maybe you have a similar entry: http://www.rdpslides.com/friday/tutorial/FAQ00099.htm

Regards,

Pieter

2. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

Nope, I don't "tweak" my config.sys. :D It's just as it was before,

Stacks=9,256

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re:MRU-Blaster error

Would you mind trying the following? (This worked for someone else.) TIA.

Download and install the Visual Basic SP5 run-time from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;Q290887

A direct download link to the file is below:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/VBRun60sp5.exe

This should, with any luck, fix your problem (previous versions of the run-times could cause this error). If it doesn't a potential fix will be included in the next database update.

Regards,

-Javacool

UPDATE: If the problem still occurs, after installing the SP5 run-time above - please e-mail me at javacoolsoftware@hotmail.com with an e-mail address I can mail you a potential fix (the potential fix is a new version of the MRU-Blaster exe). TIA.

4. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

(I knew today would be a bad day.)

I checked, and sure enough, I did not have the latest VB run-time version installed. The funny thing is, I downloaded the new version from that second link to Microsoft Download Center, and ran the file - but it didn't actually install anything. No files are changed. What am I doing wrong here?

5. javacool

Did you make sure that all instances of MRU-Blaster were gone from memory?

Could you try rebooting (making sure auto-start shotcuts to MRU-Blaster are disabled), install the new run-time, and then rebooting again? (It definitely should be installing the updated files...)

(Just to verify, the installer should ask you "Do you want to install the Visual Basic SP5 run-time", then when you click on Yes, you should see a brief screen as it copies files (and yet another screen in the upper left hand corner of your monitor, on Windows ME, as it installs them).

Regards,

-Javacool

6. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

Well, unless MRU-Blaster masked itself as STMGR.exe, yup, I'm sure it was all killed. ;)

As for auto-start shortcuts, I never allowed those to be created, and I did verify none were created. I downloaded the thing again, just to make sure it wasn't corrupted. Rebooted, installed, rebooted. Files still not changed the least bit. Strange.

And yes, it does ask me if I want to install Visual Basic 6.0 run-time files, and I see it doing something which looks like copying - only that it isn't, since nothing is copied or overwritten or even created. But that install screen I'm never seeing. *shrugs*

7. javacool

Would you mind e-mailing me at javacoolsoftware@hotmail.com ? I have another potential solution for your issue (I'd have to send you a new version of the MRU-Blaster exe to try.)

Regards,

-Javacool

8. javacool

The e-mail is on its way. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

9. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

Cheers, Javacool, I got the email and the files. :)

The MSVBVM60.dll I had was indeed older than the one in your email, so I replaced the old one.

The mrublasternew.exe was *exactly* the same size as the original mrublaster.exe, though. And replacing the old executable with the new one didn't fix the problem. I still get the same error. o_O

I went through the log of the VB6.0 run-time installation, and noticed it does extract the contents into TEMP, but never goes any further. I don't get it.

10. javacool

The file size isn't exactly the same - but there isn't a very large difference in size (the difference is measured in bytes).

You might try rebooting, and then doing the following (note: reports of success with the following has come from two individuals, but I cannot guarantee it will work for you - it shouldn't, however, cause any issue - I just tested it on a Windows ME machine although I cannot duplicate the error you are having).

Start>Run> sysedit

In the "config.sys" file, remove the line beginning with "STACKS="

File>Save (in sysedit)

However, before doing the above, you may want to search your system and replace any older versions of the files the VB SP5 installation extracted to the temp file that are in system folders with those newer files it extracted (and see if that works).

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

11. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

LOL, it appears the installer has cleverly deleted the files from TEMP. I can't get the files out of that accursed installer. And I can't find them as a zip archive from MS Download Center, either. Well, darn.

Any ideas?

12. javacool

I can send you a zip with them.

Look for it in your inbox in, oh, 1 minute. :)

Also attached is yet another new mru-blaster exe - if replacing any old vb dlls with the new ones does not work, would you mind trying this one?

Regards,

-Javacool

13. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

Got them, and replied already. :)

(Also, Win ME doesn't have Sysedit, which means I'll have to use Notepad. Go MS, go!) :D

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

15. Joep

Joep Registered Member

Hi,
    Awesome program folks! :cool: Fast it is! :eek:

Quote from the Author's opening post of this forum : 8OCT02
    Is he referring to someone locally, sitting down at the PC or can these MRU lists be accessed/exported across a network/interanet/ internet?

Thanks

16. javacool

Most of the MRU lists are located in the registry. Thus, not only is it very easy for someone at a computer to view them (assuming registry access restrictions are not in place) but various programs like trojans horses have abilities such as exporting registry keys, etc.

Regards,

-Javacool

17. Ghost

Ghost Guest

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4052;start=15

Did the tracking stuff for K/KL/DK ever get added?

18. javacool

The Search MRU for those programs has been added, yes, and is in the 10-21-02 database update. However, depending on your settings, it may or may not exist on your system (it also depends on your version of those programs).

Regards,

-Javacool

19. javacool

Database updated (10/26/2002). :)

Regards,

-Javacool

20. urzio

urzio Guest

Hi,

have tried out MRUblaster today for the first time and i'm very pleased with it.It's a keep it to me.Thank You JavaCool.
    Just an idea,it would be very nice to have an extra feature or maybe another tool (RegKeyBlaster?)
    for let's say more advanced users, with the possibility
    to select any RegKey in order to delate it automatically.
    I'm looking for a long time for such a tool.Updates wouldn't be ne necesary in connection with new applications.It would be an allrounder.
    (please excuse my bad english)

Best regards
    urzio

21. javacool

That is a very interesting idea - I will look into it. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hey Javacool.Another excellent Blaster!I didn't think I needed it.I run a really good cleaner program regularly.I like the Blaster programs that I use,so I thought I'd try it.You said in an earlier post that it would find things.You are right!It found 140 items that I promptly cleaned. :eek: Thanks for MRU Blaster.It's an innovative addition to your Blaster line of programs.

23. javacool

Database updated (11/17/02).

Regards,

-Javacool

24. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Database updated 12/07/2002

regards.

paul

25. After installing the MRU blaster I found major problems.
    The folders would change from original settings and the History would clear ourall the information. had to remove MRU blaster. Too bad :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.