Mrk. Review on opensuse 13.1, please!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Kyle1420, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

The title says it! I'm pretty sure you'd do this review anyway - But I'm just impatient and excited to read about it. :D

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've installed it and running the x64 XFCE desktop environment since yesterday. Other than a couple little glitches it's been stable and very responsive. It's getting 3 years of Evergreen maintenance, so that's good too. But I fully agree a review from Mrk would be really nice :)

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

How does this compare to Debian or Ubuntu?

4. wat0114

Well, it's definitely more of a "serious" or "business-like" distro than those two, especially Ubuntu. It's early so I haven't dug into many of the features available from the Yast panel. Truth be told, I don't know what a lot of them do, LOL! My needs are really simple so I haven't the initiative, at least yet, to research them more. Over time I'll probably check some of them out and see if anything interests me.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

IMHO, debian based distros have the best package management mechanism. My vote goes to Ubuntu due to its usability and features.

6. mattdocs12345

Yes Ubuntu is very good. Might use it again.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In terms of overall polish, it's pretty good, similar to Ubuntu etc. They also do a really nice KDE, if you like KDE. In general, it's usually pretty well done. As mentioned though, totally different package management system from .deb.

8. Kyle1420

A huge draw for me to opensuse is becuase my experience of 12.3 was a professional distro with a KDE thats been very polished. Also, I don't want to feel like i need to check blog posts about the latest ubuntu drama to see if it will affect me. With opensuse it seems as if I can install it, and use linux\suse without worry knowing i have a topnotch backing behind it.

But at the end of the day... I'm a distro hopper. and i hate it! i really gotta settle down on one :'(

EDIT:. P.S. I havent used 13.1, only 12.3

9. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

I have been bitten by the Gnome bug :eek:
    I have hopped from LMDE to Ubuntu Gnome to Fedora to Linux Mint 16 and have arrived here at openSUSE 13.1.
    I'm now dual booting alongside LMDE, have gotta say I find Gnome much more fun to use and a lot prettier than Cinammon.
    Up to now I'm finding openSUSE a pleasure to use :thumb:

10. Kyle1420

has anyone had any luck getting 13.1 onto a USB? i've tried unetbootin and univeral USB installer

11. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

I often find that opensuse is the most difficult to get on to a USB. Have you tried the opensuse image writer? Sometimes this works although it didn't work for me on the 13.1RC and i had to burn it to a disc in the end.

12. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

I used the USB writing tool in LMDE, I generally use Unetbootin but for some reason I didn't on this occasion.
    http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/usb-creator

hope this helps.

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Check here

14. wat0114

I can't understand why openSuse is placing the Grub 2 bootloader on the extended partition when I'm explicitely choosing the MBR (Change-> Booting-> <enable checkbox> Boot from Master Boot Record) during the installation?? Does anyone know why this is happening? Does it seem to be a bug? BTW, if I change the boot flag to the MBR it will still boot fine from the Grub 2 menu. It seems as though suse is installing Grub to both the MBR and extended partition??

Attached Files:

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yes, it does that - has always done that.
    Mrk

16. wat0114

Oh...ok..so I suppose it's normal? As you can see with this second screenshot I've made the primary ntfs active with the boot flag and as I alluded to previously, it still boots to the same Grub 2 menu as before. It makes no difference to the way this dual-boot setup boots. That seems really odd to me, and why I think the Grub 2 is installed on both partitions.

Oh well, it's not a showstopper at least :)

Attached Files:

17. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I haven t experimented to much with 13.1 ,but OpenSUSE is almost flawless in KDE.
    OpenSUSE 12.2 router/HTPC machine running for days/weeks with no stability issues on a FM 2 AMD APU.
    I would use the KDE environment with it.

18. wat0114

I didn't get around to trying kde yet. Tried Gnome yesterday, hated it, so went back to xfce which I have imaged. I'll probably give the kde version a try soon. What I like about xfce is it's so fast and stable on my hardware.

19. wat0114

Here's the latest blogspot review on it...

...this oughta whet Mrk's appetite to review it ;) :shifty:

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

openSUSE 13.1 - It could have been awesome

Done, reviewed.

I've written a long, mostly negative review of openSUSE 13.1 Bottle 64-bit edition with KDE desktop, tested on a laptop with Nvidia drivers in a dual-boot configuration, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, including a most beautiful desktop, look & feel, notifications, Wireless, Samba, partitioning, customization, updates, community repositories, one-click installation attempts, multimedia playback - MP3 and Flash, applications, resource usage, and many problems like low free space in the live session, numerous crashes, slow network connectivity, no touchpad utility, problems on resume from sleep, missing proprietary drivers in the repositories, inconsistent and unpredictable updates and installations of software, missing codecs, certificate problems, no printing to Windows devices, various other bugs and glitches, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-13-1.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

21. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Your statement gave me a good laugh...so thanks for that..:).

Trying out different distros is great fun, but I have found myself rethinking my decision about whether to install this or that version here lately. It's just too much trouble to go to only to be disappointed ultimately. KDE is out and I hate Gnome 3...so any distro I may decide to try has to offer a new approach to the usual Gnome 3 DE. I've downloaded the latest Deepin and plan to try it out one day next week.

I use to think of myself as a "whore of distros" a few years ago when I was distro hopping really bad, but not so much anymore. BTW, don't be surprised if RonJor censors this paragraph for my language used. He did the last time I used it. Well....at least it'll give him something to do. ;).

Later...

22. wat0114

Thanks for the review, Mrk!

well I guess this just illustrates how hardware can make either a great distro experience or a terrible one. Maybe the de (desktop environment) has something to do with it too? Honestly, I'm extremely pleased with 'suse 13.1 using the spartan and efficient xfce de on my 2006 hardware. I don't need or want the eye candy like I used to. A result of getting old, I guess :D

BTW, at idle, cpu sits around 3% with memory use in the single digits!

23. mattdocs12345

Lol Mark destroyed opensuse. Good review as usual.

24. wat0114

His name isn't Mark. Only hint: initials are "IL" ;)

25. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I will install it on a main machine myself and see how it goes.
    I never believe until i do myself. :)
    It can t be that bad ,i did some installs and the desktop was looking good.

Even if it has some bugs now they will be ironed out quite fast ,it will be a long support version ,keep in mind.
    The excellent support for AMD APU-s that i own ,that allows me to use directly 1920X1080 resolution with no driver is a great feature in my opinion.

LE:Installed it from a DVD x64 bit with all the needed libraries on a AMD FM2 5600K APU based system with a A75 chipset Gigabyte motherboard.Tomorrow i ll start install some stuff in it and see if Packman repositories are up and running for the goodies( Audacious ,XBMC ,VLC and many others) to work.
    Installed it on a dual boot system ,XP and WIndows7 installed prior.Network is working and updates have been installed.
    There is theoretically no need for proprietary AMD video drivers with this one as the kernel has patches included to reach a lot of potential.
    Suspend exists as many other features related to desktop customizing specific to KDE desktops.

Keep in mind that his OpenSUSE works with X-Fi sound cards by default opposed to other distroes.

After one day or more of playing around i ll post my impressions.If you want full experience install from the DVD ,live discs will not show to much.
    But if it s first time ,use a blank HDD play with the partitioning and then go final.
    Network worked just fine if set up from within Yast -> Network ,just complete the info needed and enable the firewall for the interface in there.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.