MRG PUA Test Results - Jan 05 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LODBROK, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Those chat logs are hilarious. :D

SAS didn't detect a single sample. :eek:

3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Live chat transcripts are a great addition! Overall interesting test. The results from Prevx and OA++ don't really surprise me but Immunet has kicked this year off remarkably well. Apparently Avasts sandbox didn't work; or maybe MRG considered it a fail if it was not detected but was still sandboxed. :doubt:

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Neither did MSE.

Edit: After scrolling down I see they did get 1 lol.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

These fake companies that pretend to offer free chat help are becoming more and more "popular" . I have once found one and chatted with them , it is all fun , you should try it :D

6. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I wonder how many people fall for these fake apps. I don't remember where I saw it (it may have been Wilders) but I read one of those conversations with a fake company a while back and it was hilarious.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A Nano sighting! Also, F-Secure did a lot better than Bitdefender. Don't they share a same engine?

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I don't think many do because it asks them pay . If it was cheating them in some other way , may be it would have been more successful.

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yes, but F-Secure has their own engine(s) as well, plus several other methods of detecting malware, including Deepguard if connected to the Internet.

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, lol @ the chats. I don't think they used Avast sandbox at all, there's no mention of it. And automatic sandboxing of unknown/suspicious files will come in v6.0, I'm more curious if they enabled PUP detection in realtime shields.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice test :D

12. carat

carat Guest

SAS is completely overrated :doubt: Well done MBAM :thumb:

13. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks for share :) Interesting results

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Great job Vipre! :thumb:

15. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Vipre is really getting better ..Gr8 job guys:thumb:

16. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

We shouldn't loose track of the fact this was a test about detection of PUAs and only those. SAS and MBAM tested were Pro versions; the free versions wouldn't have done squat. I just mention that because the norm is to say "MBAM" or "SAS" and leave the reader to judge which version, MBAM/SAS or MBAM/SAS Pro, is being reference within the context of a posting. This is a technical forum, after all. Not yoo toob.

True, MBAM Pro cleaned SAS Pro's clock in this detection test, but both free apps have been acclaimed to shine in the cleanup of compromised systems. And while on this slightly off-thread post, Malwarebytes still doesn't market a portable free version - not a slam, just an observation.

While I can agree at this point in time, SAS Pro may be overrated (v5 is on the horizon) I don't believe there has been a head-to-head test of its Pro version vs. MBAM Pro against a broad spectrum of threats. Tho against MBAM Pro, SAS Pro didn't fare well in MRG's Flash (zero-day) project...

Disclaimer: I do run MBAM Pro. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I don't remember SAS Pro ever doing well in any test, I'm not sure their "real time" protection is anything of benefit- except for the money paid to the developer who certainly deserves to be compensated. But the Pro version may give a person a false sense of protection.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Can I use Immunet as an on-demand scanner only?

19. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Good question. I turned off the three protection settings which generated a "protection disabled" icon balloon tip.

I ran a scan and it completed. So, without input from Immunet/Clam staff to correct me, I'd say "yes" to the on-demand.

However, closing the UI (iptray.exe) doesn't stop the service (agent.exe).

Attached Files:

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also have the same behaviour...

And if you change the service to Manual start, Immunet doesn't work, because the GUI doesn't start it...

21. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

SAS 5 will be much better.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Let's hope so...;)

23. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We specifically don't detect those products due to their aggressive "legal threats" towards many companies. We have chosen to go after the trojans, rootkits, password stealers and applications that actually HARM your system and steal information. As you notice Microsoft has also chosen not to detect the same threats.

We may add a category such as the "Potentially Unwanted Application" as others have done to indicate to the user that they may wish to do their own research as to why these applications may not be desired.

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

But, what is a potentially unwanted application? In my book, anything that installs without me wanting it, it's an unwanted application. :D

For example: Imagine I install XYZ application, and this one comes with some toolbar/browser to install (as some very legitimate apps do). They come with such install selected by default... This is an unwanted application. Would this be a fair assumption?

Regarding those rogue crap... again... if somehow I'm lead to believe I needed it, and therefore deliberately installed it, then am I making a fair assumption that such is a wanted application, rather than an unwanted application? I'm leaving legitimacy aside. ;)

I do understand why some security vendors decide not to target such... But, I believe something like that could be easily worked around by allowing users to make use of known domain blacklist sources. Sure, not the ideal solution, but would it resolve the "legal threats"? You wouldn't be directly targeting them, rather allowing your users to block whatever domain(s) they would like, and even suggest known blacklist sources... ;)

Anyways, I got too much caffeine inside... lol

25. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Yes. Before you open the GUI, you have to first start the service in Services. You can simplify the latter by making a bat file using net start. Create a shortcut for it and place it above the GUI lnk in the Start menu. Repeat that for a net stop bat file if you want to stop the service later.

Immunet is not alone in that behavior; ignore control of the service is the developer's option. On the other end of that spectrum is complete control. I can change Malware Defender's service, mdservice.exe, to manual. When I run the GUI it not only starts the service but reverts it back to automatic. :p

Whether or not you personally endorse a developers' choice is where you can exercise your own: use it as is, bend it to your needs or don't use it at all. You can let the developer know what you want, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.