MRG Effitas 360 Degree Assessment & Certification Q4 2016

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by itman, Feb 20, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

i guess everywhere if they assume that it would interfere with the test.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Let's wait for MRG to respond.

3. guest

guest Guest

Smartscreen can be disabled on Edge (in advanced settings) , on IE , not idea, because i uninstalled it .

4. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

If the point is that SmartScreen would have blocked the execution of the sample, than that point isn't really in favor of Windows Defender but rather in favor of SmartScreen. In these cases, it's not Windows Defender protecting the system, it's SmartScreen saving the day. If you are arguing that SmartScreen is so strong that you don't the best AV, than you should need the worst AV even less. You also have to apply that logic to all your other non-AV tools, like ReHIPS, AppGuard and HMPA.

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

IE11

Attached Files:

6. guest

guest Guest

7. itman

itman Registered Member

In regards to the NSS Labs tests since they were mentioned in this thread and for clarification, they were restricted to two subject areas:
    Ref.: http://research.nsslabs.com/reportaction/free-113/Marketing
    I for one would very much like to see an AV lab test for the "new and improved" browser SmartScreen protections I noted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...tification-q4-2016.392182/page-2#post-2654457

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You can disable/enable SmartScreen in IE 11 by going to Tools then Safety, which seems to be in a different location in @boredog's screenshot.

9. boredog

tony yes all I have to do is click on tools.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

When you said you don't know how that is possible, I'm assuming you were referring to Edge. If so, it can be done by going to More, Settings, Advanced Settings and right at the bottom there's a toggle on/off button for it. If you meant IE11, it's been covered in a couple of other posts above.

11. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

@FleischmannTV :
    It doesn't matter to a end user which module blocked a threat.
    What matters are if it was blocked.
    Testing with certain modules disabled gives no answers.
    The only meaningful test scenario are with all native modules fully active when evaluating the native security.
    Not a single end user in the world using native security, will run a setup where they disable those modules.

12. guest

guest Guest

in fact i would like a test including all Win10 native security features at default and max level (with and without SUA) Would be very informative for both beginners and advanced users.

13. itman

itman Registered Member

The argument being made is that Microsoft designed browser based SmartScreen and Windows Defender to work together as integrated security protection. As such, I believe that any Internet based malware testing needs both products enabled for any testing of Windows Defender employing either Edge or IE11.

On the other hand, any testing of other security products should have SmartScreen disabled to test the effectiveness of their respective web filters.

-EDIT- Do note the problem the above poses for the AV Labs. When they test a product, they assume it will be equally effective regardless of browser used. Therefore, the above methodology would not be applicable for tests where Chrome or FireFox were used. Additionally, no comparisons could be made between Smartscreen and AV web filtering since the later would be protected by the AV software itself whereas SmartScreen could be disabled via malware infection of the browser. Edge runs by default in AppContainer, IE does not.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  14. guest

guest Guest

No it is in favor of the whole system and its native security component (which Windef is part of).

Exact , hence this test : http://www.securityweek.com/microsoft-edge-tops-browser-protection-tests

I agree.

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

In a nutshell: Windows 10 default security is very good and end users dont necessarily need third party security antivirus but education.

I would love to see SmartScreen logic embedded in Windows Defender, the monopoly cry will be fun ;)

16. itman

itman Registered Member

17. guest

guest Guest

Lol , K(GB)aspersky will sue MS ^^

maybe i didn't understood right away what you meant then. (im not english native speaker.)

18. boredog

another one do in IE is go to tools , internet options, advanced and select the two boxes for enhanced protection mode. on my windows 64 bit system

Attached Files:

19. guest

guest Guest

those two were the original design of Edge's (and metro Apps) Appcontainer mechanism.

20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Even if people decide to use 3rd party AV, what does Microsoft lose? Nothing. It gives WD away for free and I don't see a reason to be upset about some test results. Most people I know never heard of this AV testing companies and don't use this results to decide which AV to use.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. If SmartScreen is so good why not adding best AV and have best combination? Smart Screen + Top-notch AV is still better than Smart Screen + mediocre AV.

22. itman

itman Registered Member

I have come up with a solution that will end this SmartScreen and Windows Defender controversy once and for all. Interestingly, it is one Microsoft could have done previously and chose not to do so. Let's call it the "Microsoft Challenge."

Microsoft commissions an AV Lab to perform the following tests using their standard "full spectrum" comparative methodology. For example, MRG's 360 Test methodology that uses AMTSO malware samples.

For the below tests, Win 10 x64 will be employed. Both Native Win 10 SmartScreen and Windows Defender protection will be enabled.

Tests

1. IE11 w/SmartScreen enabled in default configuration. That is running in a non-AppContainer environment.

2. Edge w/SmartScreen enabled in default configuration. That is running in an AppContainer environment.

3. Separate tests using both FireFox and Chrome with test results averaged for both. Both browsers will be run in default configuration. That is, browser based SmartScreen will not be used.​

Finally and most importantly, Microsoft will agree to having the test results publically release without review or any pressure for retesting of any kind.

The above will finally give the average user a reasonable expectation on what can be expected from Win 10's native protections based on the browser they use.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  23. Martin_C

How about all the testing institutions just starts testing Windows 10 latest branch fully updated with ALL native security fully enabled, every single time they want to compare the protection provided between vendors.

Let's not make things more complicated then they are.

One column that reads "Latest Windows 10 fully updated with all native security fully enabled", instead of the current column that reads "WD with essential protective parts of OS disabled".

24. itman

itman Registered Member

I explained that in my edited posting here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...tification-q4-2016.392182/page-3#post-2654507

Again, I eagerly awaiting the results to the "Microsoft Challenge."

25. Martin_C

And I'm eagerly awaiting the results of every single future test report, that doesn't disables any native security features while testing native security.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.