mp3 tagging

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFuser, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i know there are at least a few utilities for this, but are there any that can accurately tag mp3s with info from a database or something?

i like musicmatch's supertagging feature but i have no use for the rest of teh program.

2. dog [away]

dog [away] Guest

By database are you referring to something like cddb look up?

At any rate Mp3Tag is the best IMO.

3. WSFuser

4. dog

dog Guest

If you're just doing singles tracks rather than albums --- you can try a MusicBrainz enabled tagger.

Wikipedia MusicBrainz

I've used MusicBrainz on occasion because Amarok is MBz enabled - It seems to do quite well.

Although I prefer CDDB ... the url I use in my ripper/tagger is freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi, I haven't had any issues with lookups. :)

5. WSFuser

i still couldnt get mp3tag to connect but Picard (MusicBrainz enabled) did quite well. i first used musicmatch to tag some songs and then ran picard on any remaining untagged files.

my only comlaint with picard is teh crashes. im now trying magic mp3 tagger, hopefully it wont crash.

6. dog

dog Guest

Any better luck with Magic WSFuser?

7. WSFuser

yes it worked quite well except for two things:

1. when tagging songs, i will put artists' last name first then comma, space, first name. i never named or tagged my songs in that manner, so it seemed very unusual. no biggie tho.

2. now this is a biggie. the unregistered version restricts teh "batch mode", so i had to tag ~100 songs 5 at a time. im dont plan paying for the program just yet, but i fear the annoyance will become worse as my mp3 collection grows.

8. dog

dog Guest

Too Bad ... but I'm sure you can find a opensource/freeware solution --- don't waste any cash. ;)

Have you ever tried Godfather? [Betanews link]. It uses CDDB (I believe) but you might have better luck with it. I haven't tried it for a long time ... it has loads of features, but takes some time to learn --- it gets great reviews, worth a look.

9. WSFuser

but if The Godfather uses CDDB, how well would it work on individual tracks? im not tagging albums.

10. dog

dog Guest

BTW ... I use RipperX and Easytag ... plus occasionally Amarok (which is MusicBrainz enabled) and in addition also MP3Tag through wine (windows emulator) in linux. They form a great combination. I'm sure you'll find a useable combination for Windows.

11. dog

dog Guest

That'll remain a problem. :doubt: ... MusicBrainz DB is best for that. ;)

12. WSFuser

well thanks for all the suggestions steve. ill keep them in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.