Mozilla to auto-update Firefox 3.5 users to 3.6 version

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would carry on using Fx 3.5 when Fx 4.1 is available. IMHO the whole #3 series of Fx was a bit dodgy. Fx 4 is the best version for a long time. I can only assume some people are having some problems with Fx 4.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The reason they still have 4 is because despite their hugely delayed release of it it is still full of bugs. I mean really really full of bugs. The last release 4.0.1 was basically just a ton of bugfixes from what I've heard.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

4.01 seems to be working real good on my machine for normal browsing.

i have extensively tested the 4 major browsers for the last 2 months and when the dust settled i was left with Chrome and Firefox 4.

i finally decided yesterday on Firefox because of customization and because i like that is installed to Program Files instead of user space.
    and it has no bloody auto-updater like Chrome does.
    that thing just drove me nuts in Chrome while using SRP.

the only thing Chrome has over Firefox, imo, is that it is a little faster and its sandbox feature.

5. Hungry Man

If you want customizability use Firefox.

If you want speed and security use Chrome.

That's all it comes down to.

6. moontan

you can gain security with other means than just the browser itself though. :)

7. Hungry Man

Yes, but your browser is one of the first lines of defense especially for those who are connected directly to the internet without a router. Most attacks are going to occur in the browser.

While you can configure firefox to be pretty secure (adblock + noscript + sandboxie gets you close to chrome) you won't get the same level of protection as Chrome.

I believe 80% of all attacks are through XSS and there are times when XSS is used on a completely legitimate site and if you're using firefox (even properly configured) it won't offer the same level of protection as chrome.

EDIT: But yes, there are other ways of mitigating such security vulnerabilities. In the end it's up to the user to decide what's important.

8. moontan

@ Hungry Man:

tnx for the heads-up m8! :thumb:

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

not for me it isnt.

10. Daveski17

Fx 4.1 is working really well on my Vista Notebook, also on my Win 7 (64 bit) desktop. The only minor bug on the desktop is with the download window (Ctrl J) which opens with a black screen when the download folder is empty. It works perfectly though. I assume it's a 64 bit thing.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im on x64 and dont have that problem so i dont think its a universal thing on x64

12. Daveski17

I have an AMD Athlon processor, which may have something to do with it (so I've been informed). Fx 4 works perfectly though in every other respect.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Me neither, I have an Athlon processor as well.. Try safe mode with everything checked or a new profile.

14. Daveski17

OK, I'll look into it. I have tried a clean install. The odd thing is that usually after first launching the browser if I Ctrl J or use the download manager icon it opens normally. If there is nothing in the download folder the second time I open it the window is black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.