Mozilla takes Firefox version numbers to the next level… by removing them

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

As I am not trying to defend it at any point.
    Both of us are seeking to provide the full picture.
    Clarification is the code of the road, in my estimation.
    :cool:

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that is a very good point. Firefox is still popular enough for someone to invest in it if Google stopped. Either way, I'm pretty sure the money Google pay Mozilla is like 'petty cash' considering what Google reputedly turns over annually.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They spend about 85 million annually to be the default search engine, they make millions and millions more from being the default engine. That is a huge, huge difference. 85 million might be considered pocket change, millions upon millions in losses every year if Mozilla leaves them however, is not.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I wouldn't exactly call 85million pocket change but it's definitely a fair investment.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh I don't either, but some seem to deem it so. Google also has shareholders to report to, so losing the kind of money they would by bailing on Mozilla would likely not go well in my opinion.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, £51.93 million sounds like a fair price to pay Mozilla. I'll just look down the back of my sofa & see if I can compete ... nope ... hold on ... I've found a coin ... ermm ... it has the wrong monarch on the back ... can anyone read Spanish? What do euros look like? :D

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes. Just wonderful. Now I can see my version number prominently and that makes me so happy. Just imagine the time I'll save by avoiding unnecessary clicks to get that reassuring information. And I need that information so often. Truly fantastic. The mobs can go home now.

8. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

If from these posts you are saying that Google funds Mozilla, then the whole thread becomes ludicrous.
    When one competitor funds another, then it becomes a sick joke.

Competitors are competitors, there is NO connection between them, it is a dog eats dog matter and the last man standing wins.

IF you are seriously suggesting that Google finances Mozilla in any way whatsoever then this thread becomes a nonsense and nothing more than a family squabble.

Any company B that is funded by company A is no longer a competitor, but becomes a toe-the-line subsidiary of the funding company. A simple puppet controlled entirely by the puppeteer.

Are we seriously saying that Mozilla is a Google paid player in the browser game ? Then if we are, the whole purpose of this thread and any other comparison between Chrome and FireFox becomes nothing more than a farcical topic of irrelevant conversation.

IF this is the case, then my own intelligence has been insulted together with that of millions of serious users world-wide.

I will not play idiotic games where Prima - Donna`s who have the cash dictate the activities of those who have not.

THAT is a game of utter nonsense and smacks of marketing coercion and unscrupulous commercial semi-criminal activities.

John

This thread ? Not worth a toss if what I have said above is correct about Google funding of Mozilla.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

and on that happy note we draw this thread to a close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.