Mozilla takes Firefox version numbers to the next level… by removing them

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

imo mozilla is making it harder for other devolopers to support their products with plugins and other intergration due to the rapid versioning. even in the old firefox model i had quite alot of crashes and other issues so I can only think the new method will make mozilla products even more buggy.

2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

This Mozilla madness is an important issue and all the 26 posts to-date are voicing incredible common sense and expertise - a factor that has obviously eluded Mozilla.

For such an important issue that sucks at the very marbles of the Mozilla madmen, why don`t every single one of you voice the same comments made here on the Mozilla Forum ?

Shotgun the damned cretins on their own ground with an avalanche of intelligent comments from users and experts that have a much better understanding of what is needed than they do.

If need be, the OP can reword his thread and enter it on the Mozilla Forum if there is not one suitable already in existence, then you can all pile in.

John

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. ABee

ABee Registered Member

The difference is between what's fact and what's a misrepresentation of fact.
    ExtremeTech chose to misrepresent the situation in their headline, and by copy/pasting their story title as your thread title, you help promote that misrepresention.

Removing that info is not a done deal, it's merely a proposal.
    Granted, the fellow who proposed it is a mucky-muck at Mozilla, so it well may come to fruition. Yet there's been no statement from anyone at Mozilla that version info will in fact be removed from that locale-- it's still only in the 'proposal' stage.

I'd be no particular fan of the change, btw, as it seems rather pointless and is strictly cosmetic.
    However, facts remain facts, while misrepresentations remain misrepresentations.

Oh, yeah. Incredibly important whether I find version info in 'Help-About Firefox' or have to look instead in 'about:support'.
    Change that location, and life radically alters forevermore. :rolleyes:

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

But, but...extra clicking is hard!..and *gasp* what if they make us actually type something in our address bar? Oh the horror of it all! :'( :D

5. guest

guest Guest

That's the reason I have went to Palemoon

6. John Bull

I am a fanatical Firefox user. I consider Firefox far in advance of any other browser, but if I get any problems from their idiotic divergence into the realm of sheer fantasy, nonsense and unbelievable professional incompetence, then I will change my allegiance to IE without any tears and place Firefox into the history books.

Chrome ? Yes, I will consider this basic Stone Age and extremely unattractive prospect, but only if Google decorate their empty room with furniture, ornaments and all the trappings of good browsing. I do not wish to spend my browsing time in Spartan conditions without the attendant luxury of personal programs. themes and a vast variety of add-ons that make the Internet experience so enjoyable.

Currently Chrome is no better than Dogpile - http://www.dogpile.com/, so this option is presently a non-starter.

So, Firefox you are on borrowed time and IE is lined up for action. All good things come to an end, nothing lasts for ever and Firefox if you continue on the path of self destruction - I will not miss you one bit.

John

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I don't like Chrome either. Even though I have been with Firefox since it was beta I don't like some of their recent decisions. I have thought about looking into Opera if things get worse. I agree about the add-ons. That is one of the big reasons I have used Firefox exclusively for years.

8. ABee

ABee Registered Member

It bothers you to share a realm?

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And ...
    -http://www.laurathomson.com/2011/08/rapid-releases-one-webdevs-perspective/-

I found the blog to be quite candid and informative.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Can I have some of whatever you're taking?

1. It's a version number..calm down.

2. Version numbers don't mean jack. I can make a program, update it for the next two years, never call it v1, v2, and so on, and it doesn't change the program.

3. Chrome is not a search engine...wait *chuckles* It's a browser built around one :D

4. Chrome has plenty of extensions. Unless you're wanting to count the very long list of addons that have been dumped long, long ago, yet are still listed in Mozilla's database.

5. What are the "trappings" of a good browser? Security? They all have it, in their own way, Chrome arguably having the best. Extensions? IE doesn't have em, so sorry. Speed? They're all plenty fast unless you're a benchmark wh**e.

What exactly are you wanting here? And how is Mozilla copying the strategy of Chrome (who by the way, also releases fast and doesn't go out of its way to advertise the version number either), "in the realm of sheer fantasy, nonsense and unbelievable professional incompetence"? I don't like the much too quick release schedule of Mozilla, every few months is one thing, but their schedule looks nuts. At least though that complaint is actually worthy of concern, and not some damn number that won't affect one iota of browser functionality.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I liked that blog and the comments on it. She was right, Mozilla did run (like IE may the risk of being "counted out". While some of us here who know a little better, might realize faster releases don't make a better browser, there's a good percentage of the population who do feel that way, and as said, Chrome has been doing this from the get go. Taking away version numbers (and no one is taking them away actually), is still an incredibly stupid thing to rant about, but what will you do? *shrug*

Addons are going to be a problem from now on, I believe. I think we'll see either just the main players sticking around, people with a lot of time on their hands, or, possibly Mozilla getting more involved with it. That's what I'm hoping to see, actually, but who knows right now.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! Good one. :D

I think it's got some add-ons. One or two are even freeware. :)

14. Daveski17

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about add-ons keeping up with the build. With this recent release I have lost Readability but discovered 'Reader' which I now actually prefer. Swings & roundabouts right?

15. John Bull

Hello Vasa,

Good link, very interesting to read but just like at primary school, copycats never got anywhere. They simply copied and did not understand a word of it. Not much use eh ? And of course if the information was wrong in the first place, the copycat got it wrong too.

If Asa Dotzler is at all intelligent (and on reading some of the waffle being spouted by Firefox, there appears to be some doubt about his ability) he will do what just about everybody else does - sift out and analyse the good and possibly better points that other systems have over Firefox, then skillfully incorporate them into his own program without blowing himself up. This has been standard design and development practice since the 18th Century the world over. Most likely ever since the wheel was invented.

Perhaps he just likes Ostriches.

Who cares about version numbers - have a nice day. But if you keep modifying your product every few minutes, then you outstrip all your supporting products compatibility and NOTHING works.
    YABBA-DABBA-DOO Asa my sorcerers apprentice, just like Walt Disney`s magnificent cartoon character ; ASA - YOU`VE SCREWED IT CHUMBO !

John
    Ostrich in sand.gif

OH NO ! NOT THAT CHROME AGAIN

16. Daveski17

Ermmm ... we could all be worrying about nothing & everything will turn out all right in the end ... ;)

17. John Bull

Lovely old comment Dave and in many cases very true.
    If you ignore something long enough, it will either go away or solves itself. Again an established engineering fact. The exceptions are all my domestic jobs.

Perhaps our friend Asa Whatshisname is not brainwashed with the Banzai or Kamikaze spirit after all eh ?

John

18. Daveski17

I'm an optimist, the glass is half full ...

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The whole thing is stupid. First they decide to increment the version number every 6 weeks or so. This generates complaints with broken extensions and IT staff, so they threaten to hide the number to shut people up. Invalidating the point of the rapid version numbers to begin with. Good to see for now they aren't going to remove it. I wish someone that made a browser would do so instead of just releasing their imitation of Chrome which I do not care for to begin with. o_O

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, I mean I think it's all been a bit overblown, even if I really do think they are speeding up a bit too much. However, reading through a lot of the recent dev reports, I just see a chicken running around with its head cut off. I still believe in Firefox, and Mozilla overall, but I'm not sure where they are going with all of this. I'm with you in regards to copying Chrome, stop it. Chrome is not some Second Coming, it has plenty of flaws in my book. If you're going to copy it, copy its security. Chrome is a good browser, but in the end, like all things Google, it's simply built around its search/ad business (note the intentional lack of tracking protection).

22. tlu

tlu Guest

23. John Bull

Hello Dave my friend, still upholding the flag of logic eh ? Keep up the good work.

Confucius say :-

"Man with glass only half full, should be careful not to overflow"
    Also :-
    "Man who copies others make same mistakes"

I have just updated from Firefox 3.6.18 to 3.6.20 with no controversy or problems. All systems are GO.

John

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  24. John Bull

As a separate post and putting aside my well known views on Chrome, I have an important question for those really expert Chrome users which will positively help me to understand what is going on and possibly clarify the whole issue to others.

Question ?

Why are Mozilla engaged in some alleged mad and rapid scramble to emulate Chrome ?

Mozilla`s record of achieving a world-wide top place in the market with such a highly successful and efficient browser is second to none. Why are they wrecking all this hard won fame and user confidence by embarking on the ludicrous escapades responsibly described by respected members in this thread ?

I simply do not comprehend it. Please will somebody explain the reasons in a logical and technical sense. This is NOT a provocative post, it is a genuine request for clarification and help.

Many thanks
    John

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You don't need an expert Chrome user to tell you that, John. The simple fact is that when something becomes the "hot thing", whether that be software, clothes, cars and more, others do everything they can to clone as much as possible. Chrome started the "bare interface", people liked it (for whatever reason), and vendors went through the same old "me too" phase. Faster releases? Oh, we gotta have that too! And so on and so forth. Eventually browsers will copy everything, right down to the sandbox..which is the only thing that should have ever been copied.

In other words, it's all normal, whether you hate it or love it. If I really wanted Chrome features, I'd use Chrome honestly. Sadly I see Chrome creeping into every browser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.