Mozilla or Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Under0ath, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

I've used Firefox for over a year. I used Opera, and would have paid for it, but I simply could not get it to load without jamming maybe 20-30% of the time, and there was no tech support or forum answers, so it's gone. It's an excellent browser, when it loads. I would likely still be using it if I had gotten help. Really, Opera and Mozilla products are quite similar. I like Firefox very much.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Internet Explorer only !

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

hehe, Bubba you stuck in "old dog, new tricks" mode? j/k - you got big forearms :eek:

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Exactly :cool:

and the flip side of that is....teaching new dogs, old tricks(actually they ain't tricks but simple IE settings)

5. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

All this is correct of course. Only newbies and newcomers are confused by the difference between the Mozilla SUITE and mozilla firefox . Certainly most people here know the difference.

But this is the part I was responding to

[quote = Mccarob ]First, just a suggestion, be carefull when you say Mozillia, as there still is a browser being used called strickly "Mozillia". Thats why they changed the name of the newest version to Firefox, but it can still be confusing.[/quote]

The first sentence is correct of course (though most people in the know refer it to as the Mozilla suite) But the second one is plainly wrong, the change from firebird to firefox is due to a name clash with Firebird relational database programand has NOTHING to do with the name change to firefox.

Those of us involved with the project from those days still remember all the squabbling.

For example see,

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Feb/gee20040211023823.htm

The original phoneix project was in fact later changed to the official name of Mozilla firebird to reflect that it was becoming the flagship product of the mozilla foundation by tagging on the mozilla name.

Thre might be confusion between the mozilla suite and firefox, but certainly was not the reason why firefox name was later chosen. As far as I know the official name is still Mozilla firefox and not firefox.

6. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

It was supposed to die already and be replaced by firefox. But AFAIK development on the browser component of the Mozilla suite is still being done.

7. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

heh, no thanks - don't want to play with any old used up chew toy. I'll take themes, extensibility, and tabs (not to mention improved security) over flipping switches in IE any day. However, I will flip the Java switch in Fx - I have learned today. To each his own bubba. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.