Mozilla Labs proposes eternal hell and damnation for FF users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Where did you get that figure from? In 2011, Mozilla’s total revenue was $163 million.

From their 2011 auditors' report, the most recent one that is publicly available:
    http://static.mozilla.com/moco/en-U...idiaries 2011 Audited Financial Statement.pdf

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

http://allthingsd.com/20111222/goog...h-deal-besting-microsoft-and-yahoo/?mod=tweet

story says Google pays Mozilla about $300 Million per year for three years from their late 2011 agreement...also
    They need to change the firefox name to the BCS browser. That's an American college (NCAA) football joke btw.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Even after looking for the term in Urban Dictionary im still having a hard time to understand it. :D

4. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

yeah this was discussed about a year ago on wilders - i think mozilla signed 3 years for $1 billion or so. prob the same thing is going on with Opera and maybe that's the reason all the config settings are no longer available in the new version.

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

*Han Solo voice* "I have a bad feeling about this."

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That confirms it. Mozilla is controlled by and is an extension of Google. It explains a lot of Mozillas recent decisions and actions, disregarding what their users want, imitating Chrome, the rapid update policy begun by Google.

This is the pattern corporate software will use to destroy Open Source. Corrupt it with easy cash, then take over once they're dependent on it. Whenever you see market share becoming a priority, corporate greed is behind it. It's happening in linux too. Same "innocent" beginnings, a little calling home the user can opt out of, if they know it's coming.

8. Daveski17

I have a terrible feeling you are correct about this.

9. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Exactly the reason why i do not use Firefox anymore. These Guys have lost ist originality and sold themselves to Google.

I am not interested in "Googlezilla"! I want Mozilla of the past back, before they have been influenced and controlled by Google.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

the writing is on the wall; soon there will be one browser to rule them all. ;)

11. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Btw. that does now also disqualify Chromium as a future Browser solution. Banning it right now from my machines, which leaves Firefox 22 until March 2014 the Browser at which i will stay.

Perhaps ist time to check out Browsers like Sleipnir or Maxthon. Very disappointed right now...

12. Daveski17

The SeaMonkey Project ;)

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

How predictable you are :)

Or perhaps a brand new project, a non-Australis fork that stays close to the original otherwise?

14. Daveski17

LOL! I prefer consistent. ;)

I'm guessing someone might want to try that. Food for thought for the SeaMonkey Council I suppose, maybe they could do a 'SeaFox'?

15. Orhin

Orhin Guest

I would use everything Gecko related, as long as it is no cheap Mozilla-Chrome :)

All Chromium away now luckily. I never did know that Google was making Mozilla THAT much dance after their music. Firefox was ace until V22 and then sadly Googles influence was hitting like a fist right in the face.... Guess they have grown inpatient with the slow progress Mozilla made with their own Chrome, so they got them running! :(

What a shame, that happens if you go to bed with the wrong organization. A bit less naivity would have saved perhaps Firefox's back, but seems Mozilla guys missed that insight or have been not clever enough to see it coming! And if you SERIOUSLY do NOT know with which devil you deal, it is better to switch jobs and give a project in more capable hands or hands which make better negotiations which don't go against ones principles!

Would have been simple to say "we take your money but we do not give up customizability" and in worst case, they also could have gone to Microsoft for Money, compared with Google, Microsoft has for sure less of a hate for customization. And that says a lot, in earlier times, who would have believed that compared with Google - Microsoft guys are one of the "good ones" - they even have brought back some features in their newest Windows 8 update!

I loved Mozilla, but i hate Googlezilla with all my available passion. If Firefox would have been developed by clever Guys like the Seamonkey Devs something like that would have NEVER happened...

Btw. anyone knows some good mail provider which plays in the same league like Gmail? I really have right now the wish and the serious need to get rid of all which connects me with Google!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  16. noone_particular

I don't see what this would gain. What would another fork of FireFox give users that SeaMonkey doesn't already have?

17. Daveski17

Good question. I don't know. I suppose for those who prefer Fx's GUI, or the tabs on the top or something, or they really like a specific extension peculiar to Firefox, or just prefer a stand alone browser as opposed to a suite, it might be an idea.

Just as long as they don't call it FireMonkey ...

18. noone_particular

I never looked into what's available for SeaMonkey as far as making it more like FireFox. I prefer SeaMonkey as it is. The last I knew, there were themes that made it look like FF. There was also a sidebar extension which also made more extensions compatible with it. No idea if they're available for the current versions.
    Good grief, no! SeaMonkey is bad enough. I don't know who comes up with these names any more. You'd think they could choose something that gives some indication of the apps function.

19. Daveski17

Orthodox for SeaMonkey is my favourite at the moment. It essentially makes it look like the Mozilla Application Suite. It is virtually identical (in looks) to the first SeaMonkey version (1.1.12) I downloaded over five years ago. The throbber is an old Mozilla one though rather than the 'bubbling' brine shrimp. The Firefox 3 theme for it is nice, but a bug hides the handlers on the GUI.

I'm not sure about the sidebar but this extension: Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks is de rigueur now. NoScript & quite a few other extensions/add-ons are more or less the same as Firefox. Unfortunately many can't be maintained after a while. Fortunately though, this weirdness with Firefox may boost more of an interest in SeaMonkey.

I quite like 'SeaMonkey' as a name. It is far better than its original codename: ButtMonkey!

20. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

21. Daveski17

I think that you can get a cream for that now. ;)

Interesting. There certainly is a lot of forking going on at the moment.

22. noone_particular

If people are going to create forks, why not make a good privacy respecting version? Start with making all of the update checking and calling home "opt in" instead of making users figure out how to opt out. Browsers, especially those used with Tor, VPNs, etc should connect only to those locations you want to visit. Connecting to the Mozilla/Google servers whenever it starts is a good way to lose anonymity. Tor needs to reevaluate their use of FireFox, given their association with Google. Their goals are in direct opposition.

23. Daveski17

SRWare Iron

24. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

As long you can opt out I can't see the problem. People should always remember that social networking is not bad. Social networking led by bad people is bad.

25. guest

guest Guest

Does Iron really offer something? You can disable all the privacy related settings in Chrome. If you want an even the "clearer" version then just use the mighty Chromium. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.