Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, I don't think ABP comes into play there. I've tried everything I can think of, and maybe I'm lucky because no matter what I untick, iHeart still plays. The only time it does not, is when I forbid iHeart.com.

I can see why you asked me about the sites. When unticking "Cascade top document's permissions to 3rd party scripts" in NS Options, there's a ton of sites that need permission, yet iHeart plays without permitting any of them. o_O I'm at a loss as to why it works for me. :doubt:

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Check Web Console and Browser Console for errors/warnings?

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks for following up, JR.

Firstly, thanks to @rs11 for bringing this site to our attention. I've found a channel that plays awesome '80 music. Am I showing my age? He he.

I don't think it is geo-location related because I've been listening to a channel with Microsoft Edge for a couple of hours now. I can also listen to iHeart in Chrome by allowing a minimum in ScriptSafe. Like @rs11 , it is only FF / CF having issues.

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. rs11

rs11 Registered Member

A flash update fixed IHeart Radio Thanks
    for all the help

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes, same here. Thanks for letting us know. :thumb:

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thank you for posting back! :thumb:

7. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I might give iHeartRadio a try. :thumb:

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

iHeartRadio has stopped playing in Cyberfox again, at least with the sites I had allowed in NoScript to get it to play. :thumbd:

9. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Has anyone used SpeedyFox?
    Is it safe? Does it work?

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have run the PortableApps.com version.
    It seems to perform the same function as CCleaner's "Compact Databases' function.
    It is safe. Don't know if it makes a difference though :)

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

useless, firefox will unpack and optimze any database for faster usage. if you compact it you will destroy this advanatage - crumbled cookies.
    and you have to live with data loss.

and "speeding" extension or program for firefox is crap - either constantly swapping memory which costs cpu and hdd power or pseudo tweaks. anyhow firefox is also optimized itself for current and fast internet connections. you only can speed up with other free builds like lawlietfox or tete builds - some of those are optimized for amd or intel, with or w/o pgo. not supported by mozilla - own risk of usage.

regular people should go with the official mozilla build and NO optimizations they dont understand - too much trouble and threads with such nonsense.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My understanding is SpeedyFox just defragments the databases. I've used it in the past, and while I never noticed a performance improvement I never lost data either.

13. guest

guest Guest

SpeedyFox (CCleaner is doing the same) is using the SQL-Command "VACUUM" on your *.sqlite-files that are in your Firefox-directory (or Thunderbird/Chrome/Skype,...)
    These files are smaller after that procedure.

14. Brummelchen

15. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thanks guys!
    I didn't think it would have much of a positive affect.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The article you linked is over five years old and references Firefox 4.0! Can you point to any current tests demonstrating that defragging the databases causes problems of any kind?

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'd like to see that too. I've been using SpeedyFox for years without issue.

18. Brummelchen

you should check the database before and after each firefox use - and before and after "optimizing". you will see that firefox will re-arrange any database for its purpose so you "vacuum" for nuts and nothing.

and even if the article is older, firefox dont behave other theses times, the code is still in firefox. you wont find any other statement.

i used a vacuum batch also in early v4 times - but stopped it when i read such article. you probably dont notice it because you have a newer fast machine but firefox will do so.

try it and check files!

19. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

And with any noticeable benefit?

20. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Although it's not entirely related, Pale Moon dev (Moonchild) actually endorses "refreshing" places database in certain situations.

Anyway, I use Speedyfox for all my browsers, once in a few months. :)

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It does launch faster after running it.

22. TheWindBringeth

FWIW, I'd estimate I've seen 7-10 instances of "corruption" that was obviously carried over from one version of FF to the next. Affecting different things such as the cert db, cookies/storage, permissions, history, and bookmarks. There might have been more and/or different ones at other times. Those were just the ones I unexpected discovered while looking for something else, testing code that manipulates the data, etc. I don't recall trying to assess whether the "corruption" was harmful or benign. I just decided it would be a good idea to at least periodically do a full uninstall + [re]install. In an attempt to assure that all databases and other files/structures are free of bad data related to bugs and/or version migration glitches.

Its a shame that Firefox doesn't have a proper backup/restore tool which supports selectively exporting/importing the key data one might want (in an easy to work with neutral format that is human readable wherever possible). For that would be helpful. Not only to users but also developers (creating/maintaining that feature can lead one to discover a problem capable of causing corruption). I suspect most here could get through the process without one though. By taking advantage of what is available, including extension specific import/export features, and just carefully pushing through the manual aspects. There may be some publicly available add-ons which help too.

23. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

It never corrupted for me.
    However, if i needed to be sure. I do refresh from troubleshooting page, it is much easier...
    And if i needed, i can simply export addon rules, to be used in the new profile..

24. TheWindBringeth

Well there are many variables. I'd like to think what I saw was unique to my context. I kinda doubt that though. I'm more hopeful that some developers also discovered them and filed bug reports (I didn't because of the lag in discovery) and the root causes have now been eliminated. We shall see if any reoccur or any others crop up.

25. Brummelchen

places can get corrupted when jumping forwand/backward in versions for same profile. thats why backups are always recommended before important changes, but people probably would never learn. at least i had this years ago but i always have backups - in fact each version has its own profile here and i never had any other damage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.