Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Firefox is not able to produce blue screens, only drivers can do. look into
    and zip the last one or better three minidumps (less than 1meg) and attach here for analyzing.

will be gone with firefox 77, and some more, use a css with v77. the dropdown also changes with v77 - and has no pref.
    if you dont care about firefox process security, just do it. firefox childs run with lower rights - malware need to attack the master process which is secured this way. no multiprocess means also that all firefox tasks are done by only one process - scripts, rendering, tabs, extensions and more (see about:memory). and ofc you will notify that firefox is performing significant slower.

2. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I took some time to decide to do this, but that seems to have fixed it. :thumb:

I am starting to think that this Firefox problem only affects certain CPUs. And it's only Firefox. Not other browser causes me BSODs.
    There are a lot of people with this problem, but this is the only place I have seen this fix. I am sure it is posted other places. I just haven't seen it.

Thanks, Bo.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You are welcome, Hadron. Glad to help. :)

Bo

4. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I also tried disabling Hardware Acceleration.
    That is usually the first thing that Mozilla suggest to do, but I still had BSODs.

I have left Hardware Acceleration disabled though.
    I don't think I need it. It seems to go alright without it.

5. bo elam

I also disable Hardware acceleration, always have. Never seemed to be needed for anything and disabling it has never caused any issue.

Bo

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Having to disable Hardware acceleration in order for Firefox to function properly, probably means your graphics drivers are out of date. Either that, or your hardware is old and you have no choice but to disable it.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. bo elam

I dont disable Hardware acceleration because I have a problem but do it because I want a simpler browser. I disable HA, Multiprocess and install the 32 bits version of Firefox to have a simpler browser, to use a lesser amount of resources, to lower the chances of experiencing issues with Firefox, and to better the chances for having good compatibility beteen Firefox and Sandboxie. And I achieve it. I have been disabling this features and using the 32 bits version of the browser since day one.

Bo

8. wat0114

Sure, that works in order for better compatibility with Sandboxie, but by doing so the CPU is now handling the bulk of the workload, rather than offloading some of it to other hardware resources.

9. bo elam

If using HA really lowered the strain/workload on the CPU, then it would really be worth using it. My CPU usage is always low when using Firefox, I dont do games, just regular easy stuff on the computer, can you tell it makes a difference in your computer when you are using HA compared to when you are not?

Bo

10. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

12. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Now, back on topic about Firefox.

Yes, my hardware is old, but it runs very fast, and I only have problems with the one browser that I have tried. Firefox.
    I have tried: Firefox, Edge Legacy and Chromium, Chrome, Vivaldi and Pale Moon.

13. Brummelchen

in those we trust who can not resolve issues

14. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

15. Brummelchen

its about x86 OEM Windows 10 - not retail.

16. guest

guest Guest

Mozilla plans to drop Flash support in Firefox 84 (December 2020)
    May 17, 2020
    https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/17/mozilla-plans-to-drop-flash-support-in-firefox-84-december-2020/

17. wat0114

I haven't done any tests on this, nor intend to. From my pov, when an option in a program is enabled by default, then that is the developer's optimal setting, so unless I see a compelling reason to change it (in this case disable), I leave it alone.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

GPU hardware acceleration made a big difference in graphics rendering speed when CPUs were less powerful. Even now with an i7 processor I think screen redraws and video playback are faster and smoother with it turned on. Of course if it causes compatibility problems then its' best to turn it off ;)

19. bo elam

I can not agree with that. Even though by far (very far), Firefox is the best browser for me, Mozilla is doing so many things with it by default, that if I couldn't change it, Firefox would be just another browser. I dont use any other browser for anything, and that would not be the case if I couldnt change default settings in Firefox.

Let me give you some examples of things I have to change. Some are because thats how I want my browser to function or look. Others, are because I think Firefox works better that way, perhaps it uses less resources and the chances for better compatibility with Sandboxie are greater. None of the things I change are because I have a problem and have to do it. All settings and features I change are due to choice.

Examples. Tabs on the bottom. Opening bookmarks as a sidebar window. Dont save history. Disable automatic updates. Disable Multiprocess. Get rid of about 99% of supposed improvements Mozilla introduces, last one was the distracting fattening/expanding of the URL bar.. A clean Start page, I cant stand all the noise Mozilla adds to the start page by default. That download flashing arrow, another annoyance enabled by default, I never used it and never will. Disable all animations in the UI and get rid of as many icons as possible. No pocket. There is more, like disabling Firefox accounts, studies, and screenshots, etc.

Here is one feature I like disabling, for security. By default, Mozilla installs this plugins (picture below). Personally, I don't add plugins of any kind. During the past 10 years, only Flash I have had to add. And when I had to, its been temporarily and in a sandbox. But Mozilla adds this plugins by default.

plugins.jpg

I have never had any need for them. At least not that I know of. So, I get rid of them. Getting rid of them is one of the first things I do when I create a new Firefox profile. They add this things by default, do you know anything about them? Do they help you in any way? Having plugins is dangerous, they are holes, and they are added by default. I dont want them, so this is what my plugins window looks like (below). Nothing,cleaner, and safer. In my opinion, neither adopting default settings or changing them is better. What is best, is up to the individual, not Mozilla or another user's preferred choices.

Sin título.jpg

Bo

20. Brummelchen

Some comments removed.

EME free build ftw

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
  21. guest

guest Guest

Initial price of Firefox Private Network browser extension service announced
    June 10, 2020
    https://www.ghacks.net/2020/06/10/i...-network-browser-extension-service-announced/

22. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Is there any new way to prevent that ludicrous expanding URL bar?
    The old about:config tweaks don't work anymore on v77.

23. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

I have a few extension icons up there to tame it horizontally, also drop in a few 'flexible spaces on the right of it in 'customize' mode..
    upload_2020-6-16_23-39-23.png

I also use a customized userchrome.css to mess with the tollbar heights & url bar height - an put the tabs back at the bottom where they belong.
    upload_2020-6-16_23-43-39.png

(I've also contacted the theme creator to see if he would make a version with somewhat shorter height 'USCG' lettering, so I can cut the toolbar heights down by at least half.

24. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thanks for that, Wayne.
    I would really prefer a setting, if possible.
    I see some sites say you can add a userChrome.css.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.