Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Aug 27, 2016.

1. guest

guest Guest

Firefox Password Manager To Be Secured With Windows 10 Credentials
    March 17, 2020
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...er-to-be-secured-with-windows-10-credentials/

2. guest

guest Guest

Mozilla Firefox to Disable FTP Support by Default in Version 77
    March 19, 2020
    https://news.softpedia.com/news/moz...support-by-default-in-version-77-529499.shtml

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's a good thing, but if I was using the built in password manager I'd rather have the master password tied to the mozilla account. In any case it's a non-issue for people using LastPass and other standalone managers.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, I've read that Firefox 75 protects against first-party tracking, but I don't believe it does it the same way that uBlock does. Basically it will monitor tracking cookies and if there has been no interaction with these sites in 30 days, it will delete them. It doesn't sound that advanced to me. :doubt:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1599262

6. guest

guest Guest

Firefox is launching a new test pilot with Scroll to pay web publishers
    It’s an extension called ‘Firefox Better Web’
    March 24, 2020

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/24/...cription-ad-tracker-blocker-publisher-payment
    Mozilla: Try our latest Test Pilot, Firefox for a Better Web, offering privacy and faster access to great content

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

8. guest

guest Guest

Firefox 76 gets optional HTTPS-only mode
    March 24, 2020
    https://www.ghacks.net/2020/03/24/firefox-76-gets-optional-https-only-mode/
    Bugzilla: [meta] Experimental: HTTPS Only Mode

9. SAustn2

SAustn2 Registered Member

wat0114 may I ask you how to enable the "There is also a kernel-based enforcement I'm using in Linux that restricts these extensions to do only exactly what they're supposed to do, and nothing else, so there is a certain peace of mind in that too. Is it something like DEP or EMET in Windows?

Thanks, SA

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Sure, I use Apparmor in latest Debian. It's not for the faint of heart, especially if using highly granular rules. Programs can easily break if too much enforcement is applied. The idea, really, is to find a balance between solid security without sacrificing usability.

11. SAustn2

SAustn2 Registered Member

I've heard of Apparmor but if its not enforced automatically by the Operating System (using Kubuntu 19.10) I really wouldn't know how to set it up. I guess you could say I'm still in the learning phase of linux. These commands are all I know to try to maintain Kubuntu - sudo apt update -y && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt clean -y && sudo apt autoclean -y

sudo fstrim -v /

Can I just search Apparmor in the start menu?

Sorry moderators I'm getting off topic and probably need to move my post elsewhere.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

13. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I've been having some big problems with Firefox lately.
    Within minutes of starting to use it, Windows 10 hangs (freezes), or even worse, I get a BSOD, and they are always different errors, and sometimes no error at all.
    I went for the last week without using Firefox and haven't had a problem. But I really miss Firefox. Chrome and all its derivatives don't do it for me.

So, I completely removed Firefox using its installer plus Revo Uninstaller, then searched for any left over files and folders and deleted them.
    I then did a search of the registry and deleted any Firefox registry entries.

I did a clean install and had confidence that the problem would be fixed, but alas, I had a BSOD within minutes. Maybe 10-15 minutes of using it.

I am stumped.

I have done exhaustive memory tests and hard drive tests, but even still, I don't have any problem as long as I don't use Firefox.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration?

15. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Hi Krusty.

Yes, I have.

16. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Who likes the new expanding Address Bar in Firefox? :eek::rolleyes:

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Delete the Firefox user profile under your user name directory

18. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Yes, I deleted the profile folder when I did the clean install.

19. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hadron, you might want to try the 32 bits version of Firefox. That would be a total change for you and it might make a difference (no more crashes, BSOD, etc)

Also, you might ant to disable Multiprocess.

I am running the 32 bits version of Firefox in my 64 bits computer, always have, and disable MP. No crashes. I do this not for solving problems but because I believe Firefox is more stable this way. Its supposed to be the other way around (64 bits against 32 bits), but I don't believe it. Regarding MP, without question, Firefox it is lighter and nicer without MP.
    Regarding that thing. I get rid of the fat URL bar with one about:config preference. Turn preference below to false:

browser.urlbar.update1

By using that preference and css customization's, when I click the URL bar, I see nothing (what I want), not even the distracting blue bar (I get rid of this with css).

Bo

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

To add to what Bo wrote:

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/04/08/how-to-restore-the-old-firefox-address-bar/

21. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Are you talking about the recommendations in the URL Bar?
    If so, you can turn them off in Options.
    - Recommend extensions as you browse.
    - Recommend features as you browse.

For the expanding URL Bar, I used these two.
    Preference: browser.urlbar.update1
    Preference: browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
    Value: False

22. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

23. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thanks, Bo.
    I might try disabling multi-process for the first change.
    It sounds promising.

Edit: It appears that multi-process can't be turned off anymore. Is that right?

24. bo elam

No, it can be done. Mozilla is making us go thru hoops to disable Multiprocess.

You need to create a System variable. It sounds more complicated than what actualy is.

Go to System properties>Advanced System Settings (Microsoft's Spanish is canned Spanish, so it will be something like that in English), in the screen that opens, at the bottom, Click System Variables.

Look at this picture, it shows you where to go.

Sin título.png

Once you are in System variables, at the bottom, click New. and use the information below to fill in the screen that opens up. If done properly, when all is done, the variable would look like in my picture.

Variable name: MOZ_FORCE_DISABLE_E10S
    Variable value: 1

Bo

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  25. bo elam

I am aware of browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus, but for some reason that one doesn't do nothing for me. Using browser.urlbar.update1 alone gets rid of the expanding URL bar.

I also untick to disable all kind of suggestions in Options, and untick every search provider, except Google. Doing this together with the css code below, cleans up everything in the URL bar. And when I say everything, I mean everything. When I click the bar, or write something, only what I write appears.

#urlbar-results {
    display: none !important;
    }

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.