Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hadron, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I thought I would create a generic Firefox thread as I wanted to ask a Firefox specific question.

How can I selectively change a Notification setting for a particular website?
    For example: If I have allowed notifications on a website, then change my mind, where do I find that Firefox setting to change it for that site?

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Options > Content.

3. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thanks mate. I'm getting blind in my old age. :geek:

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

You're welcome. ;)

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Right click the webpage, Click View page info>Permissions.

Bo

6. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I thought I would share a Mozilla Firefox about config Tweak.
    It annoys me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  7. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

This is another one that annoys me.

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

ofc there is
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

- notification - which one? what for? firefox cant get website changes, use an extension instead for that.
    - disable signing - what for? not possible since v48. what extension you talk about?
    - not recommended to use outdated firefox versions, then stick with 45esr instead vulnerable v43
    - you can disable safe-browing in regular options!

please ask more precisely and provide more details!

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Firefox supports Notifications API:
    Which is just a different way of showing a locally available message to the user. Firefox also supports Push API (aka Push Notifications):
    Which is a way for webservers to send a message to the user even when their browser is fully closed and their device is powered off. The website sends the message to a Mozilla push server which stores it. Then when the user's browser is available the message is retrieved and displayed as a notification.

Push Notifications have privacy implications which vary based on browser/provider. So if you are interested in that you should do some reading.

FWIW, I read that Firefox uses the *same* permission to control *both* Notifications and Push Notifications. I haven't tested either feature myself.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Disable Push Notifications:

About:Config > dom.webnotifications.enable > toggle to False.

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

While we're on the topic of about:config, I find the about:config Button add-on very handy.

12. TheWindBringeth

Is that sufficient? I ask because there are two prefs related to Web Notifications:

dom.webnotifications.enabled
    dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled

and I'm inclined to think the first renders the Notifications API unavailable to web content and the second renders it unavailable to serviceworkers. IOW, if you want to nuke the Notifications API I think you'd want to make sure both are set to false.

As for the Push API, it appears it can be used to push visible notifications to the user *and* it can be used to push other non-visible things to the user's browser. When creating a Push subscription you specify a userVisibleOnly boolean that communicates intent. I'm wondering if the dom.webnotifications.* prefs mentioned above are always enough to kill Push (including when userVisibleOnly=false). If the objective is to kill Push, the dom.push.enabled and dom.push.serverURL prefs look attractive.

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

This page says to change dom.push.enabled to false. I haven't tried that yet and I'm here with Microsoft Edge at the moment.

I was getting annoyed at the MBAM forums and found these instructions and it worked for me.

http://techdows.com/2015/12/disable-firefox-push-notifications.html

14. TheWindBringeth

Push notifications involve Notifications, Push, ServiceWorkers (about:serviceworkers), the site that sets things up and the scripts used, a WebSocket connection to Mozilla's push server, related permissions (Notifications and History), related prefs, even different behavior for HTTPS and HTTP. So there are multiple ways to break it, but they aren't identical in terms of consequences. They are breaking different pieces/aspects.

In addition to making sure that everything you want blocked is properly blocked going forward, you may first have to familiarize yourself with and try to "undo" persistent changes that were made before you decided to block. If you previously subscribed to push notifications you've instructed a sender website/party to push messages to Mozilla so that Mozilla can push them to you. Hopefully, by triggering the unsubscribe process the sender will stop doing that *and* any local record of that subscription will also be removed. You may also want to get rid of the ServiceWorker if it wasn't removed. If you eliminate all push subscriptions I think you would also want to reset dom.push.userAgentID.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Who else here uses Classic Theme Restorer?
    I suspect a few. :rolleyes:

16. Brummelchen

what do you expect from CTR?

From my view to you - i would install less extensions to keep it simple.

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

18. Brummelchen

omg
    users in an enterprise environment should never have rights to change anything important incl certs. that is admins job!
    but those are now able to handle system certs with mozilla.cfg

but i admit this would make vendors from antivirus programs happy so they do not need longer to integrate some cert into firefox and can point out to the ability from firefox. great move mozilla to help those developing idiots which cannot handle the ssl check.

19. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I just hate the Australis interface. With CTR, I restore it the way it was and classic FF looks way better! They took a good thing and messed it up.

20. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

That's exactly how I see it.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I doubt that they could handle certificate store without admin privileges. Firefox is only following other browsers (IE and Chrome) which use windows certificate store. It means that certificate won't have to be installed twice (once for Firefox in their store and another one in Windows certificate store for other browsers). I hope that they will also include personal certificates in near future.

22. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

23. Brummelchen

thats what i understood that far. and you got my conclusion about that silly ssl check.

24. TheWindBringeth

https://mike.kaply.com/2016/09/01/upcoming-changes-to-root-certificates-in-firefox-on-windows/
    I can't tell whether said behavior will also be conditioned on security.enterprise_roots.enabled=true, but some of the wording I've seen makes me think that they are already thinking about making importation/acceptance of external certificates an automatic behavior.

Maybe it should, but ATM a pref/option doesn't worry me. Making it a default, non-pref-driven, behavior does bother me though. Wouldn't that increase the CA attack surface for everyone? Wouldn't it interfere with those who purposely want to only use the Mozilla store? I think it would even affect those running a portable edition.

25. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.