Mozilla Firefox 6.0 - Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by brainrb1, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Really! I never experienced that. Maybe because I am always connected to the internet. But why should the Add-on Compatibility Reporter need the internet on for it to work? Doesn't make any sense.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It does something called a "first run" that involves reporting back to Mozilla HQ?

3. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

The domain highlight started with IE8 (soon followed by a FF addon). I find it useful.

It got out of beta a couple of weeks before FF 6.0

I really don't like this new policy from Mozilla, they're shooting themselves in the foot.
    They try to fight Chrome with the same weapons because they think Google is going to be the number 2 browser and they're wrong on both predictions.
    Chrome will always be number 3 if Firefox sticks to what it does best: add-ons and configurability (plus speed and stability, as in FF 3).
    If they follow Chrome with the constant updates/upgrades (wich means they lost conscience of what their browser means to their users) then they could become number 3, or worse.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i use a theme/skin and and classic view
    i don't see it ...

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't have a problem with the domain highlighting and I find it useful. I understand that if someone has tweaked something then there maybe difficulty in seeing the rest of the url.

Re. Mozilla's "new" policy: For better or for worse, I don't think they will slow down. There are a lot more changes coming. It's true that Firefox has built up a large base of fairly conservative users but ...

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Raza, if you look at the add-on page if you have ACR installed, on the right-hand side of each add-on, we can see some of these buttons/options:
    • Compatibility
    • Options (present for some extensions)
    • Disable/Enable
    • Remove
    Now, if we click on the "compatibility" button we'll get some options in a drop-down menu (which I'm entering by memory so the wording is not 100% correct (for those who want to make comments on add-ons versus extensions versus whatever)):
    • Marked as compatible by developer
    • This add-on no longer works
    • It works just as it should (as it did with previous versions)
    Let's say we click on the last option. You'll get a window that shows that your response is being conveyed to Mozilla. Also, the "compatibility" button/option will no longer be present and, in it's place, we'll see a green tick and "works properly".

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

As with many things about Firefox, the domain highlighting can be turned off:
    -http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2282105&p=11140781#p11140781-

8. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Thanks for that. I'll definitely be turning it off as I find it annoying. :thumb:

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't find it annoying particularly. Is it just me or is Firefox getting better? When I wanted to go 'Gecko' I would normally open up SeaMonkey, which is also going through a good phase at the moment, but not all of its extensions are as good as Firefox's & many aren't compatible with its recent development speed.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just incase anyone was sticking with v5, v6 fixes various security issues including yet another WebGL exploit. I have WebGL turned off and I suggest others do so also.

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I turned it off too. No need taking a chance.

12. fsr

fsr Registered Member

I like this version better as well, gud work Mozilla :thumb:

13. fsr

fsr Registered Member

In about:config ?

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

15. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Be modern, don't stay behind. Presenting a somewhat satirical article introducing a new proposed special version of Firefox as a response to Mozilla's decision to remove the version information from the About page. Winning.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-about.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

17. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Can someone provide instructions on how to DISABLE "WebGL" in FF 6?

In "about:config" there are a few settings listed under 'WebGL.' I'm not sure which one to change. Thanks.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

19. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

20. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

An update is available ....Firefox 6.0.1

http://blog.mozilla.com/security/2011/08/29/fraudulent-google-com-certificate/

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.