Mozilla Firefox 5.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by brainrb1, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It usually has the final release before Mozilla officially announces it. Therefore you get to use the (near-)finished product sooner.
    Also officially hosts all versions of Firefox, as the Ghacks article pointed out.

I'm not interested in cutting-edge. I want the latest stable version ASAP.

2. guest

guest Guest

Thanks, but I'm happy with my Pale Moon 3 based on latest Firefox 3.6.

http://www.palemoon.org/

Way faster and stabler (( in old hardware such as the one I'm still using:( )).

Really loving this "Custom-built and optimized Firefox browser for Windows Operating System" so far. :)

Now, back on topic, all I can say about Firefox 5 atm is that I tend to agree with this post:

Especially with the sentence I highlighted.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well, normally (OS depending) I just wait until it's offered as an update within Firefox or available on the Firefox web site. That said, there is nothing wrong with using the FTP site as a source. It's not really all that different that downloading via the Firefox web page. A download is a download regardless of how it gets from the server to your computer. If Mozilla didn't want us on it, they wouldn't make it public, as in ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/

The FTP site is also the only place (that I trust) to go and get older versions of Mozilla software, for example; Phoenix and Firebird as well as other forgotten projects, can all be found on the FTP site. The is a lot on the FTP site that cannot be found via other channels such as developer tools.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I'm just going to wait until it officially drops. Hope that my add-ons will work at that time.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Downloading from a specific ftp doesn't doesn't give the benefit of being directed to an ftp server that is experiencing less traffic. That is the role of the http site. To that extent it is different.

How true. A download is a download. How very true.

If Mozilla didn't want use on it, why would they have made this site public: https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/channel/

Why does Mozilla have mirror sites all over the world rather than just ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/

No argument about that, was there? What is the expected traffic to download older versions of whatever as compared to a new release?

6. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Mozilla Delivers New Version of Firefox – First Web Browser to Support Do Not Track on Multiple Platforms

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Downloaded FF5 today through update. Better Privacy was not compatible with FF5. Went to Better Privacy web page -http://netticat.ath.cx/BetterPrivacy/BetterPrivacy.htm- and new version 1.61 that is compatible with FF5 is available.

8. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Better Privacy 1.51 is working fine here.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why would you need BetterPrivacy anymore? I removed it when the Flash update came out.

10. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I just am addicted to all my old addons :D

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I updated Firefox (through its updater) a couple of hours ago on my desktop. Seems fine apart from Tin Eye extension being not compatible.

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

fwiw, Firefox 3.6.1.8 just came out yesterday (here's the MG link for it).

Personally I had lots of add-on compatibility issues when I updated to FF4 not so long ago, so I'll wait a few weeks before biting the bullet on version 5.

Is there a 64-bit version of FF5? (There's 64-bit pre-release version of FF4 which I love, although it has even more compatibility issues with add-ons than the regular version).

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I just installed TinEye on Aurora (~Fx6-to-be) and it worked fine.

If you have the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, it should let you use TinEye on Fx5.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info. I haven't updated my notebook yet. I'll see what happens (edit: same thing).

EDIT: Just had a look at the Mozilla extensions page ... Not available for Firefox 5.0

Here

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Updated through the auto updater. Working fine for me here so far.

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

On my machine the Firefox update indicated it was not compatible and disabled it.

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'll have to do a manual update. The damn thing isn't doing an auto one.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm sure they roll out updates by some method. Everybody can't be first. Otherwise the servers would probably crash. :D

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The FTP and official are identical as usual. I just wonder why they put it on the FTP first, and then announce it.

20. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I just updated to FF5. I've been using Chrome for 2 years now. Firefox just lost me. But I think they might be making a come back. Good work Mozilla,Looking good.

21. culla

culla Registered Member

updated to 5 no problems at all :D

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

From here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozi...read/thread/5df7ac2dc9e1f451/7a36a82053a1b48d

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One more quote from the thread Google groups discussion thread I linked to:

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I know. That's why the ACR helps.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Okay, I get it now. Thanks for the links, I'll try the mirrors first next time unless they don't have the latest release (which I doubt, only few hours difference).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.