Mozilla Firefox - 1.0RC2

Discussion in 'polls' started by Jbmoar, Nov 5, 2004.

?

How Would you rate the firefox browser

Poll closed Nov 15, 2004.
  1. Fair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Great

26.3%
  3. Needs Work

36.8%
  4. Best Browser Of All

36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

I Want to reccomend The firefox browser & Thunderbird e-mail program,Is A Great program, Simular to Internet Explorer 6.0 but with A Lot of enhancements and ad-ons plus more secure, I Like the tabs options which is quite useful.

I Suggest anyone that has not tried it out,give it a try,You'd be surprised how well it works,I Was surprised myself.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      36.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox is certainly the most fun of any browser out there IMO.

Tabbed browsing, extensions such as adblock, themes such as Noia Extreme, live bookmark feeds, built in cookie manager, and on and on, puts the user in control.

The final release should be out next week.

Attached Files:

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

One thing that I really like is it is "open source" so others can produce their own versions. I use an optimized version made for P4 with SSE2 and is optimized for speed instead of size. There is a noticeable increase in speed with a decrease in CPU usage. The author puts out nightly builds that coincide with the regular firefox nightly builds....

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Great, but I'm still using 1.0PR.

Acadia

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm still using version 1.0PR. I will wait till they officially release the final version then i'll install it. ;)

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Can't say, I use IE as I've always used it and its the most familiar browser. However I believe Mozilla Firefox is faster than IE.

Jimbob

7. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

Firefox 1.0 RC2 is practically the same as the final 1.0 except for 2 minor "bugs".

In any case, it will be out on 9 november , be prepared to party!!!

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

WOOOOO YEAH!!
    :D :D :cool:

9. puff-m-d

The nightly builds have already dropped th "RC" from the version to reflect the final....

Attached Files:

10. PingNadriah

PingNadriah Guest

11. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Well, FireFox is a great browser. But I am not so excited about it. It still needs a lot of work. I used it for quite a while with different extensions, themes, user-css files, and etc. But later on, I was just tired of it. Once for a while, a new version released. Most of the extensions and themes stopped working because of the new release. When the extensions and themes updated for the new release, a new version of FireFox released again...and all the nightmare repeats again...I am tired of this endless loops. I just want to use browser to surf the web. I am not so interested in configuring it again and again all the time. So I switched to Opera, which is fast and mature. When Firefox is as mature enough, I will try it again.

12. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Did they drop the Fox too?

13. puff-m-d

No, I use an optimized build and they are not allowed to use the original registered trademarks. They must use their own. This tells the difference between an official build and an "open source" build....

14. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I think that Firefox needs a little work. Themes and extensions should be fully compatible with all versions. Skinning should be improved. A few extensions (like gestures) should be built in. Web caching should be improved.

Opera can do much more right out of the box than Firefox.

15. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

Extensions are trival to handle, most of them work perfectly in newer versions of firefox. But to play safe, most extensions versions are specified to work only with the last version of firefox tested. This is specified in the
    install.rdf file of the extension as the tag

<em:maxVersion>0.9</em:maxVersion>

for example means it will be disabled in any browser above 0.9 . Eg PR builds (0.10) and RC +final (1.0) will disable the extension

It's simple to change this.

Or you could tell the browser to "pretend" to be a lower version using the instructions here

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973

This last is probably more efficient if you have a zillion extensions.

Themes is a different story. But extensions are easy to handle.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

firefox is an excellent browser but there are a couple of things they could improve on. But they are getting better with every release.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. puff-m-d

I have had several people PM me about this post, so instead of answering each PM separately, I will just post a brief answer here. You need to look at the specs and what instruction sets your system uses when you decide on an optimized build. A good source of info is URL=http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php]mozillaZine forums[/URL]. A lot of good info is there. They have a sub-forum THERE for third party and unofficial builds. There is also a sticky giving info on deciding on a build.

I use a build optimized for speed, not size, tweaked for P4 processor using SSE2 instruction set.... It is referred to as"[FX] bangbang023" and there is a THREAD AT mozillaZine dedicated to it.

HTH.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.