Mozilla/Firebird webbrowsers?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Re:SMTP client lacking in FB...

dmc,

You make a good point, it's all about functionality, what might be right for you may not be good for the next person. Beauty part is these browsers are so small & easy to load and test, when you find one ya like, you can still look at competition and switch (or not)

ideas re: email link...

I haven't gotten to the email feature in Opera so I'm certainly no expert, two ideas which you may already know about regarding sending a link:

1) In Opera 7.2 you can right click a link, point to page, then select send link by email.

2) also, seems like you should be able to go into preferences and customize --->> "keyboard setup" , but again I am a relatively inexperienced concerning this.

I really like the balanced view Crockett gave on the alternative IE killer browsers.

2. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi libbo1 :)

Thanks for the link...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

3. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Opera email hotkeys...

:)

Hehe - thanks peakaboo - I was unaware of the 'Page' context-sub-menu, quite useful, and have not delved into the 'Keyboard options setup' at all. Good catch...

I also note that you can send a link to the current browser window address by bringing focus to the Mail menu and then simply hitting key 's' and then key 'e'...hehe problem is I forget how to get focus onto the top file menu - I think maybe the current skin I have on (Bugs) is not supporting some standard windows keys..but I actually forget...

Thanks for the hotkeys hints...

dmc :)

4. crockett

Hello ;)

FIrebird 0.6 and Phoenix 0.5 seem to display some information when Javascripts are activated.

I connected from here to the site
    http://www.leader.ru/secure/who.html
    and the results page displays under 'Javascript' the number of sites visited and the fact that I just left www.wilderssecurity.com/

So, despite all my being interested in those two browsers, I have to admit that - for the time being - they disclose too much infos through the JVScript mechanisms. Still some work to do by Mozilla's development team.

BTW, Firebird 0.6 should permit drag-and-drop from address-toolbar to bookmarks-toolbar, but... it simply doesn't work, although it works perfectly fine when applied with Phoenix 0.5.

Also, the same Firebird bookmarks just disappear each time you close the browser, so the import work will have to be done all over again next time, which is a rather annoying bug to say the least. No such problem exists in Phoenix 0.5 though.

To sum up, Firebird great browser still to be improved. Having said that, new versions come out very quickly, so all this stuff just seems a matter of (a short) time to me.

Phoenix 0.5 to be chosen for the time being, but should be used with Javascript disabled if you don't like to disclose the site you just come from.

5. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Re:Opera email hotkeys...

You are welcome dmc.

I ran across this a few minutes ago and thought of you.

Been playing with Opera's mail client M2 a bit - very nice.

Anyway, if you are using Opera 7.2 and u run across an interesting page & you want to send a link, here is another way:

1) hit F4 or your hot list icon

2) under the mail heading you should see check, send, & compose icons (if u don't you can always customize)

note once you select mail heading Opera remembers this for subsequent visits (saves whatever you were on last)

3) press send, click on send link & voilla

(if your pop3 account is already set up like mine is, the link for the page you are interested in is put into the body of the email. All you have to do is determine who you want to send it to (pretty easy to) and press send)

very impressive :) and very cool :cool:

6. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

Crockett;

try FB 0.7. Those bugs u report have supposedly been fixed . . at least I dont see the same problems. And if you havent already done so, d/l TBE (extension), recently upgraded (2OCT03) and a very neat option. It also supports drag-n-drop of bookmarks!

Attached Files:

• fb.jpg
      fb.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  7. crockett

Hi :)

Dwlded and installed 0.7. Same drag-and-drop to bookmarks-toolbar inability.

Also, still can't import Bookmarks unless some bookmark already present in file. [After fresh install, I have to 'manage bookmarks', 'add' "about blank" , and only after that am I able to use the 'import' option.] Nothing fixed in these regards compared to 0.6x. :(

Display of pages WORSE under 0.7 than 0.6x !

Tried to dwld TBE yesterday under 0.6x and freezed my system, did not dare to try again with 0.7. Also, I don't like the online-dwld-and-install procedure used to install extensions. I'd rather have the extensions dwlded and then installed offline should I decide to proceed.

Can't see any improvement justifying Phoenix 0.5 not the leader anymore in birds family. None of the above-mentioned bugs were present in Ph 0.5. o_O

All in all, disappointed ever since Ph turned into Fb. Will wait 'till next (improved ?!) version and try again later, though...

Gonna stick exclusively to Opera 7.20 and [Phoenix 0.5/JVScripts disabled] for the time being.

Would you be kind enough to keep me up to date if you're aware of new versions before I am ?!

Thunderbird :) still a very good surprise to me anyway http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14408

8. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

drag and drop workrd fine for me. I drag the little yellow circle to the word bookmarks and presto! See pic! The 104 available extensions are 'made' by individual nerds and dweebs, dudes much smarter than me. Thus fer now, the direct download is the only way to get them (got a tip on this though).

Many use an older version as their 'repository" From it they copy and paste the files, extensions, flash ect to the new d/l version. I usually d/l new stuff to the older version as a test (to see if it works or just to have it for later use).

I find this stuff fun and educational. Many dont and want 'plug and play'! Its great to have choices other than IE6. Dont get me too wrong though. MS has brought 'us' alot. I could put up with the security holes by pluggin them, etc but the straw that broke etc . . . was SLOW and INCOMPLETE page rendering. Now those smarties in the FB forum argue over whose page loads fastest by tenths of seconds!!! I' m happy with ave load time of 0.4 secs!!!

Sure ill let u know 'bout next upgrade.

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
  9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A) Stop winking at me -- you're making me nervous.

B) Here is the URL for an extremely stable, full-featured, free [NO ads], gecko-based browser...

Beonex

C) Here is the URL for a Skinny/Modular Netscape 7+

Diet-Rite Netscape

D) Here is the URL for browser-junkies...

Browser chop suey

E) All of my kids/grandkids/great-grandkids arrived in beta status. They are just fine. So is Firebird! :cool:

peace unto all......bellgamin

10. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

I just dl firebird and it snaps. It is so fast i dont think ill ever go back to IE. Is there anything i need to do or get for it to run proberly (i heard that i need to get flash or something). This is the best browser ever.

11. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I'm gonna download firbird now, But, whats better, the unoffical installer, OR the .zip file? (I'm downloading the zip file right now, because I dont feel like installing anything, at the moment)

12. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, Nevermind ... I'm using it right now, I actually, like it better then internet explorer, its WAY better, now the thing that'll make it sweeter is when/if Javacool makes his software work with it :p

13. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

for BW:

about the only thing u will need is flash. U will run into the need as u surf. Follow the instructions. If u have any probs post bak,

U can check out the skins (themes). And of the 104 FB extensions I wud get the TBE for tabbed browsing . . . one window with multiple browsers!

Attached Files:

• y.jpg
      y.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I did however notic, it put some folders in C:\Windows\Application Data\ er, I guess thats where it stores its cached files, etc? also, how many entries does it add to the registry? and does the "Clear all" button, really clear all the usage data, etc?

15. crockett

Hi Bellgamin :)

I just tried Beonex... Man - that's a pretty good one !

I enabled JavaScripts and re-did the test I described in http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14249;start=msg91189#msg91189

Now the test site ain't able to know I'm connecting from wilderssecurity !

Very nice... Thanks for the good idea.

Do you know if updated versions of this browser are gonna come up, or is it abandonware ?!

Attached Files:

16. bellgamin

It is far from abandoned. It is actively maintained by Ben Bucksch. You might want to sign up for the Users mailing List at...
    HERE

17. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, Firebird just said I needed shockwave player to do something online with it, I downloaded the installer it linked to, should I install it? (Is Shockwave player spyware?)

18. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

nope it's not spyware and yes i wud douwnoad and install it.

19. BWMerlin

U may also have to dl and install java. The instructions r a little unclear (well at lest they were 4 me). I merged the reg file first then dl the installer one and everything seems to wroke.

20. bellgamin

By the way -- as far as I know, FB 0.7 milestone had not been released as of 0000 hours zulu, 10/08/03. It is a test version of 0.7 that has been released, not the milestone version.

When the milestone is released, that fact will be reflected at...
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
    and
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/

whatevahs........bell

21. BWMerlin

Whats the milestone version and how is it differnt.

22. bellgamin

The present 0.7 is a *nightly.* There are nightlies, optimums, & milestones [to name a few categories]...

A) Nightlies are on the *burning edge* of Firebird development. That is, they are for adventurous souls who are not only willing to be beta testers, but actually relish their roles in suffering through bugs & thereby helping FB to be improved. Check it...
    http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/

B) Optimums are nightlies that have been upgraded/modified [by pioneering, independent folks] so as to work well with a specific environment [such as with aa particular athlon chip]. One of the best of these puioneers is aebrahim...
    http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim/

C) Milestones are *anointed* by the Mozilla team itself -- as being stable enough for the non-geek users [such as myself] who want a good, NON-Microsoft browser, but dislike having to deal with lots of bugs. To wit...
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

And there you have it. But then, I have no idea of what I'm talking about. [In the land of the blind, the 1-eyed man is king.]

23. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

very very nice explanation!

If humility comes with age (just by ur avatar!!) I have a lot to look forward to!

ps all of those builds can be found in one place @

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23

24. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Agreed! Thank you Bellgamin!

25. JayK

JayK Poster

I'm not really impressed by the 0.61 Build of FB. Too "barebones" for me (unless you enjoy hours tweaking it, downloading extensions). Mozilla 1.41 and Opera 7.2 appear to be better for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.