Mozilla/Firebird webbrowsers?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

http://texturizer.net/firebird/download.html

and

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=26838

I wud rec the 2nd url. The official 0.7 just released and I would download and unzip. All u will have to do is install flash. Easy (put it in the plugin file), Call if u need help

2. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

spydespiser,

I hope you meant the latest version Opera 7.2.

This new version is smokin, greased lightning... :cool:

3. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

Sorry it took so long :cool:

Hi peakaboo

I wasnt sure if download took or not as i,ve had this copy since well before getting on net!

just been back and tried again using old browser which was way sllooowwer! and as its slower i actually get a second to see a message stating connection too slow or system not optimised or something, but i should have B/Band modem "finally" delivered in couple of days so i can wait till then :cool: (i'll have to!) :cool:

But like i said in another editted thread somewhere, compared to that C**p AOL palmed me off with, even this v7.0.2 is grease lightning on my 56k, so if yours is even faster when it modem i think i'll call fire brigade before hooking up! :D

Best R
    SpyD

4. JayK

JayK Poster

As Yoda said " No, there is another ......"

Mozilla 1.4 seems to be a better choice then FB currently seriously.

5. JayK

JayK Poster

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

6. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

Just copied and pasted from your signature :p

7. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

A little help for those that download Firebird (I rec the newly released 0.7 official) zip.

First a quick explanation. As all of these versions are beta there is not a official installer. There are dl versions that come with and unofficial installer. The only benefit is that it will handle the registry entries which isnt necessary for this browser to work.

Unzip your version choice anywhere in the directory u like. Most ppl naturally go to program files. I have 2 versions, one in program files and one in my docs. Once u start browsing, u will quickly run into a page needing flash. Click on the icon u see and presto!

But here is the catch. If u didnt not use the installer, flash will not see the path to FB. Browse to it>>>attachment.

Enable all of the Java settings and u are ready to go. And like many apps, your profile is stored separately in application data, so when U upgrade or when the official non beta is released, all of your bookmarks etc are there. And dont worry u can access all of your ie bookmarks too!

From here its all window dressing. About 20 or so skins to choose from and over 100 extensions!

Attached Files:

8. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Hi all

Been using the firebird nightly for a few weeks now and I have to say apart from a few minor annoying glitches they have worked flawlessly

Have I used fb YES
    Is FB any good Yes
    Does FB have any problems Yes/No

Its a work in progress but even at this early stage of development I have to say its way better then IE my only concern is that there is no way to log in to windows update as FB don't support active x which is a good thing IMO but other than minor glitches every thing seems to work ok for me here

My only real gripes with this right now are small minor things like not having a spell checker and not being able to save interrupted downloads like ya would with a download accelerator and just minor miscellaneous bugs and glitches that crop up now and then guess that's to be expected though it is a work in progress

Even though it’s a work in progress if ya want an alternative to IE id highly recommend this

9. Rickster

Rickster Guest

I am curious about the security of the alternate browsers. I’m sure they’re fine but wondered if some of the alternate users could take this test and let me know the results. It requires a first party cookie and scripting enabled to test (which I know doesn’t set well with some) but after checking, the site is safe. Proxo users have to bypass to test (same scripting reason). I use IE 6.

http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/

10. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

i ran the test you requested for firebird heres what it said at the end

Browser Security Test Results

Dear Customer,

The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:
    High Risk Vulnerabilities   0
    Medium Risk Vulnerabilities   0
    Low Risk Vulnerabilities   0

New bugs keep coming! Sign up for announcements of new tests.

Questions about the test? Read the FAQ.

Still having questions? Send us your feedback.

Want to know how everyone else is doing on Browser Test? Check our statistics.

11. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

same here!

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

13. peakaboo

Opera 7.2 here.

I ran the test earlier as part of my update here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11975

I'm 12 for 12 + passed the Browser security test for the above link - vote would be option 4 =I defeated initial exploits and addendum 1 & 2 vulnerabilities

I ran it for my specific browser with proxo off.

it ran 6 tests as I recall

High Risk Vulnerabilities 0
    Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0
    Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0

also last night I ran all 30 against Opera but I had proxo on - result no problems/vulnerabilities

hth :cool:

14. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

I dont understand this bit, can u explan this a bit better plz. I will be getting firebird in three days time when my net clicks over and carnt wait to test it out.

15. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys and girls :)

What a surprise ! I thought everybody on the Net had dropped Internet Explorer a long time ago. Some bad habits are hard to break, aren't they ? :D

But I like the fact that some people are still so passionate about browsers and eager to get to know which one is gonna meet their own needs as closely as possible.

I 've been reading all posts in this thread and I have to agree with several issues, i.e.:

Opera and Mozilla and Firebird are the most logical alternatives to Explorer.

Since my machine is an old and weak and outdated one, for the past two years I've been looking for the most reliable, fast, stable and low-consuming softwares to be found on the web, not to mention that they had to be freeware.

Mozilla is great, but too CPU consuming on my pc. This says nothing as regards other users or other pc's.

Firebird I love very much, although I find my system kind of struggling too when having to process it, e.g. loading the bird.

Mozilla and Firebird are somewhat not as fast as Opera, either to surf or to access some of the browser's navigating features (for example Opera has [among other things] the F12 - Quick Preferences Option which enables you to access all the Java, JavaScript, Cookies, Proxy, etc. - enabling/disabling features).

Wonderful features to manage cookies both in Mozilla and Firebird. Opera has a nice capacity to manage cookies, but Mozilla and Firebird are best in this particular regard.

But Opera also has this wonderful 'Mouse Gestures' option which enables you to pilot your surfing much more freely than any other browser I ever came accross (I have to say that I spend most of my time on the web testing firewalls and comparing browsers).

Opera 7.20 still the fastest, most explicit (for example as regards the security level of the pages you load on a secure connection) and most stable option to me - again on my own pc, with my own surfing interests.

But again I must say - Mozilla, Firebird, Opera, all extremely viable alternatives to any other browser on the market, even though I personnally consider Opera to be THE best.

In fact, I don't understand why these three browsers are still being labeled 'alternative to IE'...

To my mind, today Internet Explorer IS only a pale alternative to Mozilla, Firebird and (first and foremost) Opera.

Rgds,
    Crockett :cool:

Attached Files:

16. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

I guess its hard to follow till u have been there. Read their forums > link posted above > in particular the Firebird Builds.

Doubt U will have too much trouble if you have done some unzipping before. Once you get started post bak with specifics and I will help

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I installed Opera 7.20 final.
    I think that they have improved page rendering.
    It's fast as always,but Firebird isn't noticably slower for me.
    I'm waiting for Firebird 0.7 to go final release.
    I may even try Thunderbird.
    It's do that or use Opera for POP mail.

Hey Crockett,nice post!

18. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

the 0.7 was offficially released yesterday! (or the day before) Its still a beta but now the nightlies will be based on that.

19. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

As far as a privacy eraser, see attached. The nice feature 'bout FB, all u get is the browser with a default skin and Java rte! Lean mean fightin machine. From there u customize!!

ps i promise i aint gettin no $ from da MOZ!

Attached Files:

20. crockett

Hi Tester... Thanks :)

How 're you doing ?!

Gonna try FB 0.7 as soon as released...

See you,

Crockett :cool:

Attached Files:

21. crockett

Hi libbo1 :)

Could you give us a link to the Firebird 0.7 for Windows ? Couldn't find it on the Firebird site ?!

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

Attached Files:

22. peakaboo

Appreciate your assessment Crockett.

Bottom line is your conclusion. IE is dead. I have not touched it or wanted to touch it since I first started testing Opera.

I have not tried Firebird, once it gets out of beta, I may give it a whirl, but Firebird would have to be a huge improvement in the way of page rendering, speed and resource utilization (& CPU load) to induce me to switch from Opera. :cool:

To: The Tester

also appreciate your comments. You are correct from my perspective, the latest final release Opera 7.2 is a huge improvement over Opera 7.11.

Page rendering is much improved (images are loading lickety split for me now).

very fast!

nice features.

my next goal is to tackle email using Opera (should not be that bad just need to understand and follow instructions when I get some time)

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Doing good here Crockett.
    How bout yourself?

I think I'll wait a bit for Firebird 0.7 too.
    0.6.1 is running real smooth so I'm not in a hurry. ;)

Peakaboo.
    If you are using OE for email,let me know how Opera works for you?
    It seems easy enough,but I haven't been able to get all my email from my OE account yet.
    I know that Moz shows 6 more emails that are older.

24. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-0.7/

the zip file is the one ur lookin fer!

25. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

SMTP client lacking in FB...

:) Hi all; something that peakaboo mentioned made me think of the main thing that keeps Opera as my default browser vis-a-vis Firebird, and thats the integrated super-fast email client.

I somewhat preferred the simple SMTP emailer in Opera 6 because all I usually want to do is hit 'Send Link' from a web page and get an instantaneous response. I don't want it as my main system email client.

I don't tend to keep applications open unless they're in use, so waiting for an email prog to open, even a fast one like Pegasus seems a pain. The Opera 6 SMTP mailer was one click to instantly open the new link mail, and one click to send. Great.

One curious omission is that there is no hotkey that I know of that will "Send Link" in Opera 6 or 7......?

dmc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.